PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with Sheets vs ReadyLoads/Quickloads

JPlomley
25-Oct-2007, 17:06
My wife and I are getting ready to take our first major trip with LF involving airline security (we've made a number of extensive road trips, but not yet flown with the kit). We have travelled extensively before with heavy artillery in Kinesis bags (500mm and 300mm lenses) and medium format so are used to dimension and weight restrictions. What we are concerned with however is the film, not from an X-Ray POV, but from an inspection standpoint. I can't imagine many of the security personal have seen 4x5 sheet film, and even if we put it through the X-Ray machine (which we have done in the past with 120/220 ISO 50 and ISO 100 speed film without any harm), will they still want to do a hand inspection. Will the silver foil wreak havoc with the X-Ray machine. Obviously we do not want them opening new packs of film, but worse, we do not want them opening our exposed film on the way back. Am I being overly concerned here? Should I just take Readyloads/Quickloads instead to avoid any possible hassles (despite the higher cost). Any feedback would be much appreciated.

davidb
25-Oct-2007, 17:11
I have traveled with both and have not had trouble with either one.

Brian Vuillemenot
25-Oct-2007, 17:49
I just send my quickloads through the X-ray machine with no problems. Once, the TSA people swabbed it for bomb residue, but no hand inspections or ruined film.

David A. Goldfarb
25-Oct-2007, 17:51
I travel with sheet film and let it go through the carry-on X-ray and haven't had a problem. To avoid further inspections, I usually keep a small case with things that attract the attention of the X-ray inspectors--Linhof cams, cable releases, small tools, and such--and I put it in my checked luggage. Since I've started doing this, I don't get as many requests for further inspection beyond the X-ray, even with a full bag of equipment. I also check my tripod in a Tenba TTP 34 bag.

roteague
25-Oct-2007, 17:54
I travel with both all the time. Never had any problem with either, except when I asked for a hand inspection on cut sheet film (they wanted to open the box).

Gordon Moat
25-Oct-2007, 19:05
I carry one wasted film packet example of Readyload and Quickload. So far I have only had to explain what these were. Worst case is I take a short moment to show them how these things function.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio

naturephoto1
25-Oct-2007, 19:41
I carry Fuji QL film. The biggest problem is the volume that the film takes up.

Rich

Songyun
25-Oct-2007, 20:52
The worst case I had was in Vegas, when I asked for a hand inspection. They told me that they will open all the cut film pack, and also 120 film. Finally I gave up and let them run X-ray. Another way, is just put cut film in your pocket, as long as you use Ilford's plastic film bag it is fine. I tried 2 times without any problem. All you need is a bigger pocket.

Colleen K
26-Oct-2007, 05:43
Last time I flew, I shipped my Quickloads ahead to my destination and picked it up there(I could never have fit them in my carryon along with the camera equipment so it really was the only option if I wanted to use them). I also had one box of sheet film in my carryon-film was fine and nobody even gave it a second look.
Colleen

JPlomley
26-Oct-2007, 09:53
Thanks everyone for relaying your experiences. Sounds as if there really is no drama to worry about. Gordon, great idea. I'll do that. And Richard/Colleen, agreed, the Quick/Ready-Loads do take up valuable space. Fortunately, my wife and I do this as a team, so between the two of us we are allowed four carry-ons.

I might add here that our new Kelty Redwing 3100 will meet the carry-on restrictions for Air Canada. In fact, it is almost the identical dimensions to the LowePro Roller-1 which we have been travelling with since it's introduction. Unfortunately, the GG Nimbus will need to be checked. I will check the tripod as well, but am going to add the Acra Swiss Z1 ballhead to my carry-on.

Cheers,
Jeff

ljb0904
26-Oct-2007, 10:19
Quickloads, TSA might insist your film won't be harmed, but tell them it's $5/sheet, and they won't give you any trouble. Ok, I stretch the truth on the cost a bit :-D

Kirk Gittings
26-Oct-2007, 10:58
Since having fogged film on a trip to Chicago last year, I never fly with it anymore but have it Fedexed to and from my destination. As a professional, I simply cannot take the risk anymore. Despite the claims, according to a friend of mine who works for FedEX, they do not xray anything.

naturephoto1
26-Oct-2007, 11:22
I had DHL send my Fuji QL film to and from Portland Oregon via ground with no incident in May (but I was sending a lot of film as well as backpacking equipment, tripod, etc in a Coleman cooler).

Rich

Daniel Geiger
26-Oct-2007, 21:03
10 boxes of QLs attracted the attention of Swiss security in Zurich. I think they were wondering what all the stacks of metal clips were. ASAIK, QLs are not sold in Switzerland, so they had never seen that. Once they saw the green boxes, no more problem. Otherwise, have taken them to Hawaii with no problems.

JPlomley
27-Oct-2007, 09:02
Kirk,

What was the ISO of your film? I've never had this problem in the past with 50 and 100 speed emulsions.

ifer
28-Oct-2007, 00:50
i thought carry on xray is film safe till 3200 ISO?
dont scare me like this guys

keithwms
28-Oct-2007, 12:41
Last time I went through, which was a week ago, the dividing line was ISO 400, not 3200. I was asked if I had any film faster than 400. I sent hp5+ through and there was no ill effect.

Anyway you can ask for hand inspection of any film, just tell them that it is going to be push processed and/or that you will be going through multiple inspection points. If you go through several inspections then even ISO 100 film may be at risk- hard to say. No harm in playing it super-safe.

I also fedex stuff to the location if I can. In the most recent case I had a bunch of sheet film to take and it was slow enough that I thought it wasn't worth the bother.

JPlomley
29-Oct-2007, 04:50
O.K. So received an email yesterday from Jeff at Badger Graphics (really surprised he checks email on a Sunday) and no more RVP-50 in Quickloads. Apparently they are back-ordered. So I checked B&H, and they do not even list RVP-50 (4x5) on their website...this is odd, because a month ago they did. In fact they still list it for 8x10 (special order only). Guess that means I am now forced to carry film holders, which means I will have to have the film processed in the US (I'm not going to risk a box opening at carry-on security). Any recommendations for processors?

eddie
1-Nov-2007, 14:55
i get hand checks when i ask. no problems. for many years they just swab the outside with a cloth and test it in a machine. done. no openings or anything.

i am in SLC now returning to NY tomorrow. on the way out i got my 800asa and 1600 asa hand checked as well as my camera that was loaded with 800asa. they were happy to oblige. i sent my 8x10, holders and some film insured by the USPS to general PO to myself and it works great. i carried my loaded 4x5 on with me and just let them x ray it...no problems. i guess i got good airline karma. i fly routinly to asia and domestically with many formats and films and have no problems (well one asshole Vietnamese x rayer.....)

have fun. when and where are you going?

eddie

JPlomley
1-Nov-2007, 15:22
Cheers for that feedback Eddie. My wife and I are headed to Zion NP in Utah.

Ted Harris
1-Nov-2007, 16:02
see my email

PViapiano
1-Nov-2007, 21:49
Hi all...

I'm in Maui this week and I sent all my QL film ahead via USPS Priority Mail, flat rate box...only $8.95 to any destination. Just made sure to do it 3 days ahead of my trip and held at the front desk of my hotel.

I'll do the same tomorrow when shipping unused film home and sending exposed film to Calypso...

So all in all, it cost me $18 to send film there and back and not have to deal with it in my carry-on...

Frank Petronio
1-Nov-2007, 22:43
I don't understand where it says in my UPS, FedEx, or USPS terms that they will not X-ray my film. With the biggest zapper around no less. Who will stop them and how would you know?

At least if somebody fogs my film when it is with me, I'll know about it.

JPlomley
2-Nov-2007, 06:11
I'll be taking readyloads/quickloads and boxed sheet film through carry-on this evening (as well as having a boat-load shipped from Badger to my hotel). I'll report back my experience.

eddie
2-Nov-2007, 06:15
have a great time. hit bryce if you can. it is very close and i thought it was one of the bets travel photog locations of all time. be sure they are opened this late in the year.

keep us posted

eddie

david mcmahon
2-Nov-2007, 06:52
I traveled to Hungary in 2006 and after my 100tmax went thru 3-4 xrays it was definitely fogged. I had sent film to the hotels where I was staying but then traveling around europe and going thru multiple xray machines both at check-in and at the gates before boarding had a cumulative effect.
I also sent film from europe back to myself to avoid taking exposed film thru xrays.
IMHO you can't be too careful. On that score I would agree with Kirk

sanking
2-Nov-2007, 07:42
My recommendation is to carry the film on board with you and just send it through security normally and don't bother to ask for a hand inspection. All things considered I believe this is still the safest way to get film from one destination to another, because it is always in you possession and control.

I can not speak to the experiences of others, but I have travelled rather extensively by air over the past 4-5 years, both in the US and abroad, and I have never seen any fogging of film. None, not on a single frame or sheet of film. I carry MF color film in ASA 160 and 400, some 800, and Tmax-400 in 5X7 sheets. On some trips abroad some of this film has gone through the inspection devices 15-20 times during a single round trip.

There are, BTW, any number of other reason why film might get fogged.

Sandy King

Gordon Moat
3-Nov-2007, 12:24
So far the only fogging experience I had was from Kodak Ektachrome P1600. I use to shoot quite a bit of that, until I substituted E200. So I do think it is rare. However, imagine that you just were paid to do an important shoot, and your film ended up fogged . . . better to be safe when money is on the line.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

sanking
3-Nov-2007, 16:22
So far the only fogging experience I had was from Kodak Ektachrome P1600. I use to shoot quite a bit of that, until I substituted E200. So I do think it is rare. However, imagine that you just were paid to do an important shoot, and your film ended up fogged . . . better to be safe when money is on the line.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat

There is always risk.

Though very rare, some people report fogging by carrying the film on board.

However, if you choose to ship the film there is also risk, in that: 1) there is no assurance that your package will not receive even worse radiation than carry on by cargo inspection, as if you were to send it as checked luggage, and 2) there is the danger that the package will be lost or not arrive on time.

The risks are the same whether you are a professional and there is money on the line, or you are an amateur with no financial risk.

Each person is free to weigh the risks and make their own choices. I have done so, and my conclusion is that there is less risk carrying the film on board on my person.

Sandy King

JPlomley
15-Nov-2007, 08:38
Just thought I would update this post since my wife and I are now back from Zion (I am going to start a new thread on what worked and what did not travelling with LF for the benefit of other forum members just starting out as well, and planning a trip to the Southwest).

We went through three airports (Montreal, Toronto, and Nevada) and had ZERO problems getting a hand inspection of our sheet film (in OEM boxes) and Readyload/Quickload envelopes (which we placed in clear tupperware containers). The TSA were extremely friendly and in fact the agent in Nevada claimed they see sheet film all the time (no surprise really given the number of LF shooters we bumped into in Zion). He also explained that they are trying to be more "customer oriented" and not just insisting everything goes through X-Ray, which was the case over the last few years. In Montreal the agent was more interested in how large a print we could make from such a big negative, and in Toronto the guy really wanted to check out our Arca Swiss (which we did not have time to do since we were rushing to make a connecting flight-we told him maybe next time-he responded no problem, and good luck). For the readyloads/quicloads they basically looked at each envelope and did a random swab. For the sheets, they just swabbed the outside of the box. Total time was about 10 minutes. It really was no drama. Just a polite "may I please have a hand inspection of my 4x5 inch film", and they were most accomodating.

Concerning the equipment, we were never asked to open our bags and explain the chunks of metal. We packed 6 lenses (in individual Photobackpacker cases) in a Lowe Pro Roller 1, and the Arca F-Field and two other lenses in a Kelty Redwing 3100, again in Photobackpacker cases (these were our "large" carry-on items). The Kelty went through the X-Ray machine no problems. In fact it is almost identical in dimension to the Pro Roller which meets all airline regulations (the Nimbus does not and had to be packed in our checked luggage). So I am relieved to report we experienced seamless navigation through the TSA. Of course YMMV.

Songyun
15-Nov-2007, 17:48
Just thought I would update this post since my wife and I are now back from Zion (I am going to start a new thread on what worked and what did not travelling with LF for the benefit of other forum members just starting out as well, and planning a trip to the Southwest).

We went through three airports (Montreal, Toronto, and Nevada) and had ZERO problems getting a hand inspection of our sheet film (in OEM boxes) and Readyload/Quickload envelopes (which we placed in clear tupperware containers). The TSA were extremely friendly and in fact the agent in Nevada claimed they see sheet film all the time (no surprise really given the number of LF shooters we bumped into in Zion). He also explained that they are trying to be more "customer oriented" and not just insisting everything goes through X-Ray, which was the case over the last few years. In Montreal the agent was more interested in how large a print we could make from such a big negative, and in Toronto the guy really wanted to check out our Arca Swiss (which we did not have time to do since we were rushing to make a connecting flight-we told him maybe next time-he responded no problem, and good luck). For the readyloads/quicloads they basically looked at each envelope and did a random swab. For the sheets, they just swabbed the outside of the box. Total time was about 10 minutes. It really was no drama. Just a polite "may I please have a hand inspection of my 4x5 inch film", and they were most accomodating.

Concerning the equipment, we were never asked to open our bags and explain the chunks of metal. We packed 6 lenses (in individual Photobackpacker cases) in a Lowe Pro Roller 1, and the Arca F-Field and two other lenses in a Kelty Redwing 3100, again in Photobackpacker cases (these were our "large" carry-on items). The Kelty went through the X-Ray machine no problems. In fact it is almost identical in dimension to the Pro Roller which meets all airline regulations (the Nimbus does not and had to be packed in our checked luggage). So I am relieved to report we experienced seamless navigation through the TSA. Of course YMMV.
I had a very bad experience in Vegas airport. The agent gave me two options either go through X-ray, or she will tear open all the package even the original manufacture sealed box. I guess she is just impatient to hand inspect a bag of sheet film.

JPlomley
15-Nov-2007, 19:06
Songyun, I am surprised to hear this. How long ago did this happen? Personally, if this happened to me I would immediately ask to speak with her supervisor and quote the TSA regs posted on their website (which we printed and took along just in case). There is no justification to open those boxes. As a mass spectrometrist I can assure you that they are capable of detecting fg levels of explosive residue which you cannot eliminate completely from the outside box if you were ever handling this sort of material. Of course, trying to explain this to the TSA agent is another story. s

Songyun
15-Nov-2007, 20:37
Songyun, I am surprised to hear this. How long ago did this happen? Personally, if this happened to me I would immediately ask to speak with her supervisor and quote the TSA regs posted on their website (which we printed and took along just in case). There is no justification to open those boxes. As a mass spectrometrist I can assure you that they are capable of detecting fg levels of explosive residue which you cannot eliminate completely from the outside box if you were ever handling this sort of material. Of course, trying to explain this to the TSA agent is another story. s

That was in June. That was the worst experience I 've ever had. Those ppls in Columbus are really nice, even in LGA, they are nice too. Ever since that, I just put exposed sheet film in my pocket, and alone with a few high iso film (400).

Songyun
15-Nov-2007, 20:46
I had the print out from TSA web. The lady in LAS that they can hand inspection, but they are going to open up everything. I was confused about the definition of hand inspection, and didn't find anything on TSA printout about the hand inspection process. It used to be just swipes.
On the other side, if someone put a knife in the sheet film box, the swipes can not detect that. Anyway, I will buy pants with large pockets just for traveling. :)

eddie
16-Nov-2007, 04:55
JPlomley,

thanks for the update. we are glad you had no problems. i will look for your new post to see what you got up to!

sounds like your experience is the same as mine. happy, friendly and accommodating. lets hope our luck holds out:) :)

JPlomley
16-Nov-2007, 12:01
Cheers Eddie. I'll get the experience composed this weekend. Am heading to Banff and Jasper NP in a few weeks time, so I'll be able to report back my experience in Calgary. Not really expecting any different treatment though.

Jeff

nathanm
4-Dec-2007, 11:05
Although you can give a pilot a really wicked papercut with the edge of a Quickload I've found that using conventional film holders in "throwing star" fashion really delivers more of a knockout punch, and is much less messy.

Remigius
4-Dec-2007, 13:44
Although you can give a pilot a really wicked papercut with the edge of a Quickload I've found that using conventional film holders in "throwing star" fashion really delivers more of a knockout punch, and is much less messy.
Are you crazy to write this? LF film&holders will be the next thing banned by FAA!

JPlomley
5-Dec-2007, 07:15
So I'm back from Banff now and the experience I had flying out from Montreal was positive once again. Hand inspection of boxed sheet film was no problemo. Calgary was another story. They insisted the boxes go through X-Ray, even though I explained the TSA regs (which the lady asked, "What is the TSA"). I can live with one pass. I should note that this only applied to the boxed sheet film. The Quickloads and Readyloads I carried were hand inspected. So the talley thus far in my limited travel with LF is a 75% sucees rate (Toronto, Montreal, Las Vegas, all no problem).

Steve Gledhill
6-Dec-2007, 04:00
No problems experienced on about 6 or 7 return transatlantic flights - except that is for one lost bag which did turn up two days later. I ALWAYS carry on my readyloads which always go through the Xray m/c.

Three comments though:

I'm always prepared to open an unused readyload to show them if they ask. I've never been asked.

A tip to reduce the volume. You can fit 40 readyloads into one standard readyload box. Remove the foil from two packs then stack the sheets with the clips alternating one end of the box then the other.

I enquired a while ago about airmailing film. The shipper (can't remember whether it was TNT or UPS or FedEx) could NOT guarantee that the package would NOT be Xrayed in transit by the high dosage Xrays. So I will ALWAYS carry on my film.

nathanm
8-Dec-2007, 12:24
Wouldn't all film be exposed to some kind of x-ray either from shipping from manufacturer to the vendor or from vendor to end user?

Steve Gledhill
8-Dec-2007, 15:34
There must be arrangements for commercial shipments of film NOT to be x-rayed otherwise it would ALL br ruined! But according to what I was told in respect of shipping a personal parcel - they cannot (or will not) guarantee that it won't be zapped. I'm not prepared to take the risk.