PDA

View Full Version : Pissed off-venting-Fogged 8x10 film in box!

G Benaim
25-Oct-2007, 13:44
Just venting,

After chasing a light leak on my last batch of developed 8x10 film, I come to discover the f'ing bag it comes in has pinholes along the crease. This is freestyle's arista ultra. Why they'd use cheap plastic that tears is beyond me. I just wrote them, hope they'll offer a refund or replacement, but it sure wasted my time and money. End of vent,

GB

Vaughn
25-Oct-2007, 13:59
You open the box with the lights on?! :eek:

Vaughn

Jim Jirka
25-Oct-2007, 14:18
I hope you open your film boxes in the dark. Most of time the envelopes are not light tight.

G Benaim
25-Oct-2007, 14:57
Nope, opened only in the dark. I never trusted the bag alone, for good reason it seems now, but didn't expect it to develop holes over a few weeks use.

Vaughn
25-Oct-2007, 19:06
Is that brand doubled, or like Kodak, tripled boxed? I was surprised to find Fuji Acros to be in only a double box (two half boxes).

Vaughn

BradS
25-Oct-2007, 21:19
Is that brand doubled, or like Kodak, tripled boxed? I was surprised to find Fuji Acros to be in only a double box (two half boxes).

Vaughn

I bought a box of Foma that was like that - just a top half and a bottom half....no middle half !?!?!

Gene McCluney
25-Oct-2007, 23:24
ARISTA edu ultra, and Foma are single boxed, no middle box, and the film is in an unsealed (but taped shut) black plastic bag. There are thin cardboard pieces on top and bottom of the film stack.

Ron Mowrey
30-Oct-2007, 18:34
You may wish to have one more fact about the black bags.

I recently went to use some for bagging hand coatings and was opening the empty bags in the light. I could see the room light dimly through the bags! So, the amount of carbon or dye that makes these bags black apparently does not make them opaque! This is a warning that all bags are not equal.

I also found that some paper envelopes are not light tight and leak, so if a bag is damaged, the paper is fogged. I had this problem recently so checked with some Kodak paper. The Kodak paper envelopes, obsolete now, are opaque, but the other brands are not. Also, Kodak plastic bags are opaque, but some others are not.

Ron Mowrey