PDA

View Full Version : Source of Glass for Framing

Herb Cunningham
25-Oct-2007, 11:33
I have imposed on my local frame shop to sell me some 11x14 and 20x16 non reflective glass, but would like to find a source for framing glass that has good references.

Anybody?

Paul Metcalf
25-Oct-2007, 12:29
I ordered a box of 16x20 lites from TruVue (http://www.tru-vue.com/index.asp)a while back (Perfect Vue). I'm not a framer or a distributer. Not sure if they will still do that.

Gene McCluney
28-Oct-2007, 10:16
If you have a "glass and mirror" distributor in your town, you can probably source picture-frame glass from them at very reasonable costs in bulk. Considering its weight and fragility, trying to find a wholesale source locally that custom cuts glass is one of the better ways to go.

Your frame shop is a retailer, so you should expect to pay less if you can buy in bulk.

Gene McCluney
28-Oct-2007, 10:16
You might also consider your local full-service hardware store, such as an ACE franchise.

photographs42
28-Oct-2007, 16:08
Your best source would be a framing supplies company. If you do very much framing, you can buy glass, Tru-Vue is the best, by the box and pay a fraction of the hardware store or glass retailer price. It might mean cutting it yourself if you don’t use standard sizes but you should be able to buy it with one dimension the right size. I live in St. Louis, MO and get my glass from a place in Kansas City.

Jerome

naturephoto1
28-Oct-2007, 18:05
Herb,

Where do you live. If you can demonstrate that you are selling the work and have a sales tax number you can purchase glass, mats, frames, and all of your framing needs from a wholesale distributor in your area.

Rich

David Karp
28-Oct-2007, 18:26
This is where I get my stuff from. It could be very expensive to ship the glass from N. Hollywood. In my experience washed glass still needs to be washed, so its not worth the extra expense. They are also a good source for matboard.

http://www.valleymoulding.com

naturephoto1
28-Oct-2007, 18:36
I agree about Tru Vue glass. It tends to be cleaner than most other makers. I now only use their Conservation Clear UV glass and their more expensive glasses now. The UV clear and more expensive glasses are even cleaner and need less touch up than other glasses so you spend less time.

Rich

Dave Parker
28-Oct-2007, 19:37
Well if you buy Tru Vue in bulk the boxes weigh 50 or 55 lbs each, so shipping them would be expensive, I can get just about anything that they make, but it would be cost prohibitive to ship it anywhere more than 25 miles away. If you buy in bulk, that means cases of it, and are selling your work through a business, most any wholesaler should be willing to sell to you.

If you call them, they should be able to tell you who the distributor is in the area closest to you..

Tru Vue, Inc.
9400 W. 55th Street
McCook, Illinois 60525
Toll Free: 800.621.8339
Main Tel.: 708.485.5080

They make premium clear, as well as museum, and many other grades of glass.

8x10 comes 90 pieces to the case,11x14 comes 47 pieces to the case, 16x20 comes 23 pieces to the case

Dave

Doug Dolde
28-Oct-2007, 20:07
If you can afford the Tru Vue Museum glass it is amazing. They have a little display with a piece of museum glass next to some other glass. You'd try to reach right through the museum glass it's that clear and glare free.

JW Dewdney
28-Oct-2007, 22:44
The funny thing about that stuff - the 'museum glass' - is that it would NEVER be used or specified in a museum...! It's a funny sort of culture, that.

JW Dewdney
28-Oct-2007, 22:46
I'd inquired locally on getting some 4x5 ft pieces cut and was quoted $80 each even with discount. When I inquired at a wholesaler (after several calls) I was quoted at FIVE DOLLARS each (QUITE a difference!!!) when I bought a box of 4x8 sheets (500lb box I think) - but it'd be just a BITCH to cut them when they're that size, it seems to me!

Herb Cunningham
29-Oct-2007, 11:12
I am in Raleigh, NC. I have a good friend who frames a fair amount of prints, and will probably do about 20 or 30 per year myself, so Tru Vu may be a good choice.

I like the anti glare pretty well, have not had expereience with much of their other stuff.

Thanks for all the replies.

JW Dewdney
29-Oct-2007, 11:25
I dig the plain old window glass - it looks the best to me and has the best transparency from the most angles. You can deal with reflections via your lighting.

If you want some REALLY SPECIAL - EXTREMELY transparent NON-TINTING glass - google the phrase "water white" in conjunction with glass.

Jim Noel
29-Oct-2007, 14:48
The trouble with window glass is that it is green. For color prints or alternatively printed images, this is a hindrance.

I have basically stopped using glass over platinum/palladium prints in my home or other places where I am not worried about fingerprints. The subtle tonalities are not lost as they are with glass in front of them. Besides if an earthquake should knock one off a wall, it is not damaged by the broken glass. It is this for the latter reason that I do not put glass over good prints like Weston and Adams.

JW Dewdney
30-Oct-2007, 16:12
Glass is a great protective barrier for loved prints. Jim - if you are so concerned about the green tint to 'industrial grade' or window glass... you really should try the 'water white', as mentioned above. There is no tint to it and it is more transparency than with window grade.

Chuck Pere
31-Oct-2007, 04:51
My small local frame-it shop sells Tru-vue products. They want $60 ea for 16x20 Museum glass and 14.55 for the Conservation type. This contrasts with $4.30 a sheet for regular glass. No quantity discounts. I couldn't find any internet source for cheap Tru-vue. They seem to sell to framers and you have to buy from them. I suppose those in a real photo business will have other sources. I do live in a big city so I'm going to check around for cheaper Tru-vue. The store display certainly makes Museum glass look good and I'd like to try at least one piece to see what it looks like on the wall compared to regular glass. But I'm not paying $60.