PDA

View Full Version : Rayham Prefect Enlarger

David Nash
3-Nov-2000, 07:42
I've just been lent/given a (very) old enlarger. It's somewhere between a floor and counter standing enlarger, and looks capable of formats a bit larger than 5 x4" - maybe half-plate. It says "Rayham of London" "Another Prefect Product" (Y es, that's Prefect).

It's missing a couple of parts, namely a proper negative carrier, although there is a pull-out drawer for the carrier to sit it. Also, the lens plate is missin g, although someone has fabricated one out of plywood and tape...

It also appears to have a cold diffused light source (white perspex panel).

Has anyone used one of these before, and do you think it would be possible to bu y the negative carrier and lens board from somewhere?

Doug Paramore
3-Nov-2000, 09:53
David, I haven't used one, but it should be relatively easy for you to build a negative carrier and lens board. I suspect it had a glass type neg carrier, which isn't too difficult to build. Lens boards are easy to fabricate for enlargers.

Regards,

Pete Andrews
3-Nov-2000, 12:05
Enlargers with the "Prefect" name were sold quite widely. I don't know about the Rayham of London bit, that may be a supplier's badge.They seem to have gone out of production in the late 1950s or early '60s, so I don't think your gonna get original manufacturer's spares for it. Sorry.

Nevillestarling
2-Sep-2015, 06:51
Hey guys, would anyone know what kind of lamp to use for this enlarger? I wanted a frosted globe and was wondering if it mattered what size or shape it was.

ic-racer
2-Sep-2015, 09:50
This can be answered if you show a picture of the entire enlarger head you have and the socket.

john the camera
15-Jun-2017, 10:54
Hey guys, would anyone know what kind of lamp to use for this enlarger? I wanted a frosted globe and was wondering if it mattered what size or shape it was.

Hi Neville, I've been the proud owner of a Prefect Enlarger since 1979 - the one I used to work on whilst employed in a small photographic company in the UK. I have just recently had a new lamp made, as the old one was knackerd. It is not a globe, but a neon tube - or tubes, formed into a series of 'bars', and conected to a transformer and balast unit/choke in the head. This is a really great enlarger to use for black and white printing and I'd have no other!! I live in Scotland, and have just found a 'sinage' company in Glasgow (one of only 2 in Scotland) who provide this service. It involves welding up the glass (neon) tubes, (which must be the white coated type), with neon and mercury in - the mercury is vapourised as in all neon lights. I posted the old tube to the company for the pattern, and yesterday received a brand new one, which cost me £60.00 inc VAT at 20% which is excellent value for a tube that will last for years. A white card needs to be mounted behind the tubes to reflect the light down though the opal perspex box below. When using the enlarger, rather than switching it on and off, leave it on all the time you're using it for consistent results, using the red swing filter below the lens, before inseting printing paper.

The name of the company I used is: DH SIGNS on 0141 773 366, at UNIT 14, 39. NURSERIES ROAD, BAILEISTON DISTRIBUTION CENTRE, GLASGOW G69 6UL Tel: 0141 773 3666

Please email me if you would like any further information about this, as I will be happy to help.

john the camera
15-Jun-2017, 11:13
PS. The Prefect Enlarger, made by Rayham Industries in Norfolk, probably in the 1950's - 1960's, will take up to half-plate negatives, and uses glassless neg carriers.