PDA

View Full Version : Old wooden film holders, do you reblacken?

Gene McCluney
23-Oct-2007, 15:14
Old wood filmholders that have the black color worn off to natural wood in spots, does anyone re-blacken them? Paint? or Stain? Should it be a concern?

Michael Mutmansky
23-Oct-2007, 15:32
Gene,

It really depends on where the wear is. Probably, there's no reason to worry if you are talking about the face that mates with the camera frame when the holder is inserted. However, there's really no harm in blackening them, as long as you use a proper agent.

I'd be careful of paint, as many could be prone to becoming sticky with humidity. When I blacken filmholders internally, I use a permanent black marker. A black stain would work, but the wood may not absorb it well. You'd have to test. If I were doing it, I'd use the permanent marker if it appeared to stick to the wood properly (I've not had a problem on any holders I've done that with).

---Michael

John Kasaian
23-Oct-2007, 16:20
Nope, I'd rather be out taking pictures ;)

Randy H
23-Oct-2007, 17:53
yep. all my wood film holders luckily are light-tight, even if they do look like they have been drug around town behind my car. although I have taken the inside sheaths out and bbq-black jrylon'd em

Glenn Thoreson
23-Oct-2007, 19:03
I don't think it's a big issue. I use mostly old wood holders. I only touch them up for cosmetic reasons, and then only if they're really bad. I use Krylon Ultra Flat spray paint, but I spray it on an artist brush and apply only enough to make it black. Very thin.