PDA

View Full Version : Is ferrotyping worth doing on modern glossy fiber paper?

octagon
1-Nov-2000, 16:38
Is ferrotyping worth doing on modern glossy fiber paper? Is there a source for information and supplies?

james norman
1-Nov-2000, 17:07
i dont know anyone who ferrotypes fiber-base paper. air-dried glossy fiber base paper seems to be the standard method of presenting b/w materials.

david clark
1-Nov-2000, 18:13
Hi Jerry, I think it's worth experimenting with. Try it and see what you think. I found it a tricky process to master, or it's easier said than done. It's cheap. I tried it with an old ferrotyping plate (which was less than optimal, you really need a scratchless plate/plate with no scratches, and I don't know where to get one), and I got a recipe from someone on this forum, I think. And I found out the hard way you can only do it on real paper, no RC. Start with water and photoflow, flop it face down wet, and squish out the excess water from rubbing the back of the photo. Then walk away. When it is done, it will pop off. Then you will get a general impression of what it looks like. That's more or less a starting point. Of course once you get into it you'll find it is a little harder to do perfectly, and so if you then decide to go with it, you'll have to get a recipe for the solution and some tips from a pro. Best, David

Wayne_6692
1-Nov-2000, 21:25
Don't use a hardening fixer. A piece of blotter-book paper weighted down on the backside will help avoid "Oyster-Shell Effect" (been so long I hope that's what it was called). When the paper dries on the outer edges it tends to pop of of the plate in a circular pattern - leaving rings on the printface.