PDA

View Full Version : Lantern Film Holders?

Wayne Crider
23-Oct-2007, 07:56
I have a few in the 3x4 size. Are these suppose to be single purpose or dual purpose holders for glass plates and film? There are no sheaths in them for film so I'm wondering if they might have been taken out or if these are just plate holders?

Gene McCluney
23-Oct-2007, 15:19
Lantern slides were an extremely common format for projected positive slides prior to the introduction of Kodachrome in 35mm. but, even after, Lantern Slides were the "pro" slide format.

Normally a lantern slide is a glass plate positive sandwiched with a paper mask and another piece of clear thin glass, taped all around to become one unit.

It is possible that you have some holders designed to take glass plate negative film in lantern slide size (3x4) which would then be contact printed onto a 3x4 positive plate for projection. I would say your holders are just plate holders.

Wayne Crider
23-Oct-2007, 19:35
Thanks Gene. I figured as much but thought they could be missing sheaths. Now maybe I'll think about coating plates, but the thickness seems pretty thin looking at the clearance of the hinge flap that overlaps the plate on the end.