PDA

View Full Version : Cambo SC

Ben R
21-Oct-2007, 05:00
I've come into posession of a Cambo SC. A couple of questions. Can I use accessories such as the bag bellows from the more modern SC line, are they standardised? Will I be able to get infinity focus from a 55mm with movements using a recessed board and the bag bellows? I can't seem to find the spec sheets for this older model.

Many thanks,

Marko
21-Oct-2007, 05:19
Lensboards with the two notches at the top should be standard across the entire Cambo line (except for the Ultima), so all the general accessories such as bellows, angle viewers and such that use the same system should work just fine. There are several types of rails, I know for at least two, but they should also be interchangeable between all the models that use the same type.

As for close focusing, in addition to using recessed board and bag bellows, and depending on the type of rail you have, you can also reverse front and rear standards and so bring them even closer together. I can't tell you about the 55mm specifically, though, as I never used such a short FL.

Ben R
21-Oct-2007, 05:59
I can only rotate one of the standards, the back standard when rotated is such that you can't fit the film back on it anymore.

Greg Lockrey
21-Oct-2007, 06:49
I can only rotate one of the standards, the back standard when rotated is such that you can't fit the film back on it anymore.

You should be able to go verticle. If you need horizontal in that position then you shift the camera and rail. It's not as riggid but you you can get buy in a pinch.

Ben R
21-Oct-2007, 07:39
I knew about the vertical but still cannot see how I would get the film holder in even should I be able to twiddle it, the thumbscrews for the rise/tilt are in the way! I'm learning that being able to focus wide angle lenses is not simple and confined to a select number of cameras. I still would like to be able to focus a 55mm at infinity with this body though. From what I can measure I have 90mm from the lens board to film plane with one of the standards reversed (and no movements at all). With a 20mm recessed board and a bag bellows I can get movements for a 70mm lens at infinity. Somewhere I need to find another 15mm!

Darryl Baird
21-Oct-2007, 08:16
The main Cambo website has older model brochures, including the SC.

look at these links:
SC (http://www.cambo.com/Html/downloads/Linkedfiles/english/download/Item89/Handbook-SC.pdf)
Accessories (http://www.cambo.com/Html/downloads/Linkedfiles/english/download/Item23/accessories_view.pdf)
SC/SCN Manual (http://www.cambo.com/Html/downloads/Linkedfiles/english/download/Item51/SC2_Manual.pdf)

Also, if the film holder won't insert, you may have the back standard reversed. The film back should be to the rear, not in front of the standard. Rise and fall controls are to the front in the standard position on most of the Cambos I've used. (I presently own three). I've included a screen capture from the SC manual.

David Karp
21-Oct-2007, 08:43
To get the standards close enough together to focus a wide angle lens you will have to make sure that both standards are on the same side of the monorail, either in front of or in back of the tripod mounting block. You will not be able to get the standards close enough togther if you split the standards on either side of the block.

Ben R
21-Oct-2007, 08:46
Darryl, many thanks! I have the standards shown as in the manual above. It was the suggestion to rotate the back standard to get them closer together which I didn't understand as there would be no way to insert the film slide except in vertical. As per the suggestion above I do have both standards on one side of the rail. With both standards bases touching I have 90mm between the lens board and film plane.

I've found out that the recessed board for the Cambo is recessed by 25mm, only need to find 10mm more! From what I can see the SC and the SC2 are very similar, the SC2 is advertised as allowing a minimum bellows extension of 46mm but I just don't see how...

Ben R
21-Oct-2007, 08:54
OK, they meant that the space between the two standards is exactly 46mm at minimum extension. I think I may be trying to flog a dead horse, I'm not going to get infinity at less than 65mm unless someone can come up with something. Custom lens board with 35mm recessed?

Darryl Baird
21-Oct-2007, 10:44
What lens do you have? A 55mm apo-grandagon is listed as 67.6mm flange to film. So 90mm minus 25mm equals 65mm -- very tight, but still focused at infinity scenario.

Ben R
21-Oct-2007, 10:49
um....um....

www.camerafusion.com (They are making a custom version for me with vertical locks so it can be used in portrait or landscape).

The widest lens you can use is 135mm, the adaptor to 'film' plane is 80mm hence the 55mm focusing requirement. I was planning on buying the 135mm Sironar S to supplement my 90mm and 210mm which will be kept for film use...

I've been told how to do it on my Gandolfi (I think, need to test it with bag bellows of course, it works fine without any bellows!) using the base tilt to throw the lens panel backwards and the axis tilt to normalise it. I may just give up on the Cambo idea but given what a beautiful peice of engineering it is and the really stupidly low value it has, I don't want to 'throw' it away for the few bucks it will make me.