PDA

View Full Version : my new architectural photography website, now online !

archivue
20-Oct-2007, 09:27
Here is the link :

http://archivue.viewbook.com/architecture

In the option bar, you can choose fullscreen and slideshow... happy viewing !

Dave Aharonian
20-Oct-2007, 09:46
I'm not usually a fan of Flash sites, but I think yours is certainly an exception. Its a simple design, shows the photos very well, and the the photos themselves are excellent. Nice!

Ron Marshall
20-Oct-2007, 09:55
Well designed site, and effective images!

PViapiano
20-Oct-2007, 10:06
Great, but I wish there was a button to find out more about you...there's just your portfolio, which is great, but there needs to be an "about" page or a place for some comments by you...

davidb
20-Oct-2007, 10:09
I think it's rather well done.

The images are really good and the site is simple. The way it should be.

The site should never take away from the work.

And as mentioned above, there should be info about you.

archivue
20-Oct-2007, 10:39
Thanks for your comments !
Considering infos about me, actually, that's not a real website, just a kind of portfolio to show to architects...
I'm working at the moment on a html web page, a sort of index on my stuff over the web... but that's not ready at the moment !
I have a folder about my artistic work here :
http://www.giancatarina.com
but, that's an other story, and texts are in french !

ajmiller
20-Oct-2007, 12:10
Your architectural photography website is very good. One minor suggestion - would it be possible to have the name of the architect remain open as the photograph changes. It's a little annoying having to click on the 'full text' link to see the architect every time. Hope you don't mind the suggestion, thanks.

Leonard Evens
20-Oct-2007, 14:02
Great pictures!

I also agree that one shouldn't have to click each time to open the architectural text information.

Also, fullscreen didn't do anything for me.

Jorge Gasteazoro
21-Oct-2007, 10:44
The site is very good, clean and a perfect example of how to use flash prudently. My only crtitique would be that if you plan to show this to architects you might want to remove those photographs where you show less than optimal use of VC movements for better rendition. If you did not use a VC then maybe some post production with PS to fix converging lines in the buildings would be good.

Good luck.

archivue
21-Oct-2007, 11:09
Thanks Jorge, but i don't get it ?
everypics are made with a VC levelled or sometimes fullframe APN with TSE lens...
where can see some converging lines ?

Asher Kelman
21-Oct-2007, 12:55
Archivue,

I enjoyed visiting your website. As pointed out it's about the photography and not the website.

Still there's a lot missing which does not even hint at the great human depth of your other work "Passages". Yes, that is perhaps at first consideration, not architectural, but that is wrong. Architecture defines and is defined by our civilization, how we live and interact and our potential in every facet of human enterprise.

"Passages" digs below this and exploits the context and consequence of our struggles to live together.

I'd love to see you add to your website an artist statement and a reference to your other work so that clients can see the potential that your photography has. In that way, perhaps, people request to go beyond the perfectly rendered architectural forms to add some human context if they wish to open a new way of looking at their projects, sort of like "Colors of Benaton".

In any case, your photographs in this architectural site would benefit from easier access. The use of a box of say 30 small icons of your portfolio on a stark white page, will allow people to mouse over any icon and see the photograph. (No clicks!!) This is much more immediate than struggling through "next" and also allows one to go back to a picture one looked at 10 images back instead of restarting the whole slide show, which is a pain!

I wish you good luck and I'm impressed with your body of work except you are too modest!

Asher

Jorge Gasteazoro
21-Oct-2007, 14:24
Thanks Jorge, but i don't get it ?
everypics are made with a VC levelled or sometimes fullframe APN with TSE lens...
where can see some converging lines ?

Ok, for example, on picture 35 unless this building is shaped as a wedge like the Flatiron building in NY I think it would have benefited from back swing, one way or the other to make the building look more rectangular. Two vanishing points on the building are a bit too much.

The photograph is very nice, but I think an architect would tell you "my building does not look like that", they are picky that way...at least the good ones.. :)

Picture 36 same deal, I think back swing towards the left to straighten out the right hand side would have made the building more square.

Picture 44 with a back swing towards the right would have given the front part of the building in shadows more presence and would have made a more dramatic shot if the façade look "straight" instead of going towards a vanishing point.

Remember, this is only my opinion and is based on the experience I have gotten from talking to architects friends of mine and architectural photographers.

archivue
21-Oct-2007, 15:44
@ Jorge
the 3 pictures share one thing in common... there was a lot of mess around, and not enought place... sometimes i'd dreaming of taking a picture of a building in the middle of no where...
considering back movements... i was running out of image circle on one, and on the other two, i was using a TSE lens... no back mvt possible !
while i completely agree with your comments on this pics, i must say that some architects do like this kind of effects ! I even know architects that work with a photographer who use only a 50mm on a RZ without movements... they like the dramatic effect of it !
@ Asher
as i said before, I'm working at the moment on a html web page, a sort of index on my stuff over the web... but that's not ready at the moment !
this is just a slideshow of architecture photos...

Asher Kelman
21-Oct-2007, 16:20
@ Asher as i said before, I'm working at the moment on a html web page, a sort of index on my stuff over the web... but that's not ready at the moment !
this is just a slideshow of architecture photos...

I guessed so! I know you will make all the html improvements!

Still, "Paysages" is so special! The picture from Viet Nam is especially poigniant; the ox grazing by its tattered cart on a remnant of pasture land below a massive billboard sign. The latter displays a mnicured green golf course for an elite segmant of society and is one of the most impressive of your photographs. It's in fact is a thought-provioking socio-political commentary! I'd have one link to that at the bottom of the first page and do it now!

Again I enjoyed your architectural work. Yet, your broader work offer much more than buildings carefully rendered.

Asher

Hugo Zhang
21-Oct-2007, 20:28
Very nice!

SamReeves
21-Oct-2007, 22:09
Thumbs up from me. The night photos were outstanding use of color. Captions might be helpful to those viewing the photos. Otherwise I liked the flash intergration as it made it nice and breezy to browse. :)

archivue
22-Oct-2007, 12:37
waiting for the complete website, i've ad a liitle text (page 2)... if someone can corrects my english text (maybe via email sacripant@online.fr), i will be pleased !
Thanks again.

PS : considering the architects names, i will finally put their names in the picture (actually outside but in the jpeg)... not as a text !

Asher Kelman
22-Oct-2007, 17:02
I've emailed you a revised text. Good luck!

Asher

archivue
23-Oct-2007, 18:58
Thanks a lot Asher !