PDA

View Full Version : Best LF accessories?

Kirk Gittings
19-Oct-2007, 08:50
What do you consider the best recently developed LF accessories?

See my accompanying thread. I consider Readyloads and the Gnass Ready Load File to be two of the best. Lightweight and convenient, I can carry far more film in a organized way than I ever could before.

And also........Carbon Fiber anything. Between my camera and my tripod. my arthritic joints applaud.

http://www.gnassgear.com/products/product_info.cfm

BradS
19-Oct-2007, 08:53
I think the best LF related accessory I've ever purchsed was the simple Rodenstock/Linos shtter spanner - wrench thingy. Next best was the pair of +3 reading glasses that I got from the drug store.

Brian Ellis
19-Oct-2007, 09:04
The BTZS "dark cloth" sold by The View Camera Store. If I had to carry and use the old "horse blanket" dark cloth I started out with I would have given up LF photography a long time ago.

philbed
19-Oct-2007, 09:08
There are a lot of interesting LF accessories. My favorite is the Wiggly Worn sells by Robert White (See http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/Pictures/Wiggly.jpg)

Greg Lockrey
19-Oct-2007, 09:10
Really Right Stuff stuff.:)

JPlomley
19-Oct-2007, 09:12
As I stated in the previous thread, the Photobackpacker system. A brilliant system for those long distance hikes; everything is well organized and exceptionally well protected using the very lightweight lens enclosures Bruce has designed. Not to mention, Bruce will make a custom enclosure to your specification if you are shooting with monorails (or flatbeds that he currently does not have listed on his website). The harness system on the GG Nimbus 3800 makes the LowePro dedicated photo backpacks a joke. In fact, I will probably be putting up three LowePro backpacks for sale soon if I cannot sell them locally. Bruce has done the LF community a big favor with his system-I applaud his efforts and highly recommend the product.

JPlomley
19-Oct-2007, 09:13
The Plamp is pretty cool. Very light weight, easily holds a Gray card to act as a lens shade.

Gene McCluney
19-Oct-2007, 09:14
A good bubble level. Particularly if your camera doesn't have a built-in one.

Eric Biggerstaff
19-Oct-2007, 09:36
Recently developed is where this gets tricky as it takes a Jobo out of the mix.

I really like the new lava/basalt series of tripods made by Giottos and Gitzo. I have used the Giottos version and it is less expensive than CF, very rigid, tough, light and seems to dampen vibration better than CF. It would be my first choice for a new tripod.

photographs42
19-Oct-2007, 09:37
This isn’t new, I’ve had mine for over 20 years, but it is something I can’t live without.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5400-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3146_3146_Tripod_Utility_Apron.html

It doesn’t work with my new Feisol tripod so I am working on making one.
Jerome

j.e.simmons
19-Oct-2007, 09:53
Is the jogging stroller recently developed? Otherwise the BTZS software for Palm.
juan

Kirk Gittings
19-Oct-2007, 09:56
To each his own. I should start another thread about LF accessories you hate.

For me amongst other things the Bogen Apron mentioned above. I own one and discarded it years ago. It is a good idea but this one is stiff bulky and poorly made, ok in the studio but awkward in the field. Compared to the Gnass Ready Load file.........

I also intensely dislike any tripod with collar leg locks. I have owned and used many of them and always found them APITA.

And carrying a Palm Pilot in the field? Don't get me started........

darr
19-Oct-2007, 11:01
For me it is my pocket watch with built-in tape measure. I like to do a lot of macro stuff so this comes in handy for bellows factoring and exposure compensation timing.

In the studio I have been using my HP48GX calculator with Bob Wheeler's VadeMecum software and a darkroom timer program for so long I cannot remember when I started with it. I do not take it into the field though as Kirk has suggested with the palm pilot comment. For me it would just be too much and I would worry about the calculator getting damaged as they run pretty expensive on the used market (no longer made and surveyors buy them up on flea bay). The pocket watch and tape measure combo fills the purpose nicely.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Oct-2007, 11:11
Suunto Tandem clinometer-compass--turns any floppy camera without detentes or scales into a precise camera with scales. Also handy for measuring the angle of the focus plane, if you use the Rodenstock calculator.

Gossen Digisix and Digiflash--very handy pocket meters, perfect for field use (particularly when shooting handheld with a press camera), plus they tell the temperature and have a timer for Polaroids, and a clock so I don't need a watch, and an alarm clock for travel.

photographs42
19-Oct-2007, 12:23
To each his own. I should start another thread about LF accessories you hate.

For me amongst other things the Bogen Apron mentioned above. I own one and discarded it years ago. It is a good idea but this one is stiff bulky and poorly made, ok in the studio but awkward in the field. Compared to the Gnass Ready Load file.........

I also intensely dislike any tripod with collar leg locks. I have owned and used many of them and always found them APITA.

And carrying a Palm Pilot in the field? Don't get me started........

Kirk,
Although I don’t have a clue what APITA means, I agree with you about the collar lock legs. My new Fiesol has them and they may prove too much for me. But the Apron….? Mine isn’t stiff, bulky or poorly made and I have never thought of it as awkward. In the field is where it is the most useful. It provides a dry, clean place to put the GG protector, film holders, lenses while changing them, exposure record notebook, light meter etc. I don’t have to bend over to get stuff or worry about where I set something down. It’s like a magic table that appears when I set the tripod down and disappears when I fold it up. Maybe when you get old like me you’ll appreciate stuff like that.

The new one I’m making will be made of denim and attach with Velcro and I’m making it myself so it will no doubt be well made.

Cheers,
Jerome

Kirk Gittings
19-Oct-2007, 12:27
Jerome,

APITA.....a pain in the a.......

Maybe your apron is a different vintage than mine?

Ron Marshall
19-Oct-2007, 12:28
The tiny plastic Calumet bellows compensation calcutator.

SAShruby
19-Oct-2007, 12:28
I like Sekonic light meters 558. Excellent meter, very happy in combination with BTZS Palm Software.

walter23
19-Oct-2007, 12:33
What do you consider the best recently developed LF accessories?

Sekonic L-508! And my manfrotto 055B tripod, light, reasonably tall, holds everything from my digital SLR to my 8x10 field camera without problems.

David A. Goldfarb
19-Oct-2007, 12:59
I've never cared for twist locks either, but have you tried the new Gitzo collars? They're much better than the old ones--a quarter turn to open or close, and the new legs are very quick to set up and take down.

evan clarke
19-Oct-2007, 14:16
My Arca Cube..EC

John Kasaian
19-Oct-2007, 14:24
A sense of humor, of course!

Turner Reich
19-Oct-2007, 16:39
A good bank account.

John Bowen
19-Oct-2007, 18:19
A beautiful, energetic, female sherpa....who could ask for anything more? :o)

Caroline Matthews
19-Oct-2007, 19:19
The BTZS "dark cloth" sold by The View Camera Store. If I had to carry and use the old "horse blanket" dark cloth I started out with I would have given up LF photography a long time ago.

I've used the BTZS "dark cloth." I much prefer the Gnassgear dark cloth. Much more usable than a 'horse blanket,' too.

Greg Lockrey
19-Oct-2007, 19:55

My wife uses a wheelchair and I have been known to pile stuff up on her.:o

Nate Battles
19-Oct-2007, 20:17
My Majestic head-I just got one and I don't know how I ever lived without one. Those things are bullet-proof!! Of course extra screws, glue, tape and clamps for my sometimes rickety camera. (:))

Nate Battles
19-Oct-2007, 20:21

John, can you get those at MPEX??:rolleyes:

Jim Jones
19-Oct-2007, 20:21
The collars on my Tiltall legs haven't let me down in 34 years. They are slower than some other systems, but reliability can be more important than convenience.

Bill_1856
19-Oct-2007, 21:55
G.p.s.

Andrew O'Neill
19-Oct-2007, 22:06
Steve Pelton's recently acquired camper...Ashcroft here we come!!
Sorry Steve, couldn't resist...

Scott Rosenberg
19-Oct-2007, 22:25
i gotta say, when the weather gets rough, i sure am glad i built this:

http://www.srosenberg.com/Website7/camper1.html

Turner Reich
19-Oct-2007, 22:31
Scott, that is fantastic, got an idea for a Jeep Wrangler? I thought of an extension that I could make, taking the back seats our, that would extend out the back with the rear window of the hard top open.

joolsb
20-Oct-2007, 02:42
Another vote for the GnassGear Readyload holder. Use one and you'll wonder how you ever managed without it. Also in the category of brilliantly simple is Philipp Salzgeber's QuickDisc bellows-factor calculator (http://www.salzgeber.at/disc/). Nothing could be cheaper or simpler to use - yet it works perfectly.

Brian K
20-Oct-2007, 03:48
Rangefinder binoculars
GPS
Linhof viewfinder
ZoneVI B&W conversion Filter
Sandbags
Google Earth
iPhone (for getting google earth satelitte images and current weather radar and satelitte images in the field, if you want to know if those clouds are going to clear, just look at the satelitte image taken in the last 5 minutes, amazing)

neil poulsen
20-Oct-2007, 05:50
Given how long LF has been around, I'm going to risk suggesting that "recent" includes the development of the Bogen 3039 Super Pro tripod head and the 475 "Digital" Pro Tripod. With a little investigation, people will see that this combination is a Bogen upgrade from the venerable 3047 head and the 3036 tripod legs. Except that, it's a lot better.

The head takes the Bogen hexagonal plates, it's smooth, and it's strong. It's a three-way pan head, which I prefer for LF. It has levels that can be adjusted to the camera. It also has the lock to prevent the plate from accidentally coming loose. It's clearly much better built than the 3047. After fifteen years use, the 3047 would reach the point where it couldn't be adequately tightened. That's not a complaint. It was because the 3047 was an excellent head that I used it for 15 years. But, I doubt that will happen to the 3039, because it's that much better built.

The tripod is also better than it's predecessor, because while it includes independent angle adjustment for each leg (great for landscape), it also enables one to spread the legs evenly in all directions with a traditional center post arrangement (great for architecture). I like the clamps better on these legs, and the center post has a better design that is more rigid.

The combination is excellent for large format. Both the tripod and head are rated to a 26 lbs load, so they can handle up to an 8x10 camera. Together, they weigh just under 14 lbs, which isn't too bad for LF. By the way, I don't know why Bogen labels the tripod as "Digital". Political correctness, I guess. But, I would say that the tripod's a little heavy for that designation. Anyway, at about 5'7", I need a short step ladder to focus when the legs and center post are fully extended. This is enough height for me.

I guess I've made my point. This is the best head and tripod combination I've owned for LF. It's a joy to use.

Frank Petronio
20-Oct-2007, 06:56
Photobackpacker should do a film holder case that protects the film holders a little better than the Gnass model. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

I just saw a Linhof cable release with a built in flashlight on eBay... cool.

Bill_1856
20-Oct-2007, 07:21
Gene Smith said that the most important accessory for photography was the trash basket. I don't think that anything has changed (except that it seems to be used a lot less than it used to be).

Scott Rosenberg
20-Oct-2007, 10:34
Scott, that is fantastic, got an idea for a Jeep Wrangler? I thought of an extension that I could make, taking the back seats our, that would extend out the back with the rear window of the hard top open.

tr - a wrangler is going to be tricky, as there simply isn't the length inside the vehicle to work with. going out the rear window might work, but it's not going to afford you any protection from inclement weather!

Gordon Moat
20-Oct-2007, 10:39
Best thing I have found so far, that really helped my use of a 4x5, is the Satin Snow (http://www.satinsnow.com/) ground glass I put on my Shen-Hao. This website is a great accessory for large format, though some here might not have thought of it in that way. Then there is the internet in general, providing opportunities to place your work before many more people, and find inspiring work from other photographers. Other than that, probably Pumas I wear, which keep me comfortable on location.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
A G Studio

Turner Reich
20-Oct-2007, 10:42
Yes, of course, the Satin Snow Ground glasses, excellent items that should be in any photographers inventory.

Kirk Gittings
20-Oct-2007, 10:46
Satin Snow-absolutely, I have them on all my view cameras.

archivue
20-Oct-2007, 10:47
I agree with you about the collar lock legs...

you should try the brand new gitzo... nothing to compare to the old ones !

John Bowen
20-Oct-2007, 15:23
Yes, Satin Snow no all my cameras also. Makes focusing on the sherpa much easier.

David Millard
20-Oct-2007, 15:55
Four things I really value (but none recently developed) :

1) Linhof viewfinder, to help me quickly see the effect of different lenses and camera positions on image composition, even before pulling my camera out of its case. I keep mine in a small pouch on my belt, so its easily available.

2) Linhof cable release quick locks on the lensboards. I have these on most lensboards so I don't have to fiddle with screwing the cable release in or out.

3) Really Right Stuff plates

4) Mamiya RB67 waistlevel viewfinder modified to fit on the back of my 23 Linhofs.
Helps with quick and easy composition and focus.

andrew vincent
23-Oct-2007, 22:58
Road Warrior lens wraps

Maxwell screen

Ries j-100-2 tripod and the double tilt head (though I do wish it was lighter, it's fun being able to turn the linhof on its size for wide verticals without the tripod flinching)

SamReeves
23-Oct-2007, 23:10
I think my favorite is the Toyo loupe on a string. It make you look important hanging around your neck in the field. :p

Vaughn
23-Oct-2007, 23:21
I don't have anything that is really new and improved...but I like having my Swiss Army knife (Tinker model w/ phillips head screwdriver rather than the corkscrew) along.

You never know when one is going to meet a bottle of beer that needs a bottle opener...

Vaughn

Scott Rosenberg
23-Oct-2007, 23:23
maxwell screen...

silvestri 6x loupe...

pentax digital spot meter (it's got everything i need and nothing i don't)...

waterproof boots (since moving to the pacific northwest)...

thin gloves...

Eric James
24-Oct-2007, 00:26
6x8 ft blue tarp
ditto on scott's rubber boots
Western Mountaineering down bag
Toyo loupe, not on a string
modified rescue mask to prevent fogging of stock Ebony screen (patent pending)
iodine tablets
sesame sticks and Gatorade
Gnass lens case (short)

Scott Rosenberg
24-Oct-2007, 00:58
ditto on scott's rubber boots

seems like standard fare in the PNW...

what's the tarp for?? dry spot to put your pack down... leanto...

Gene McCluney
24-Oct-2007, 01:08
I think one of the most useful accessories for my style of LF photography is my recent acquisition of a 1984 Isuzu Trooper II. Longer than a Jeep Wrangler, it has plenty of room in back, even with the rear seat in use, to hold a lot of gear, and the rear doors open more conveniently than the Wrangler. It has a more comfortable ride than a Wrangler, and is a very simple vehicle with good 4 wheel drive capability. Also a teenage son is handy, to carry around various cases of film holders, tripod, etc.

JW Dewdney
24-Oct-2007, 04:25
I'm sure this won't be a popular choice for most here with their wooden field cameras - but starting to use a reflex viewer - even and especially in the field has made seeing what I'm actually DOING sooooooooo (can i POSSIBLY put enough O's in there?) much easier!!!

Colin Graham
24-Oct-2007, 06:56
Funny though, I've been upside down and backwards so long that every time I use a reflex camera I get dizzy and disoriented, lol.

And yes very much indeed on the waterproof boots. I use a extra large 3 mil. garbage bag to set my gear on.

Tom Perkins
24-Oct-2007, 07:06
Blackjacket focusing cloth. It's the cat's a__.

naturephoto1
24-Oct-2007, 07:24
I know that some do not like QR for large format. But, I love my Arca Swiss Type QR plates from different manufacturers including Arca Swiss, RRS, Kirk, etc. for my cameras when mounting them on my tripod heads. With the remnants of 2 broken wrists (bicycle and car accident, the car won) I find them a God Send. I do not have to worry about pain in my wrists.

Rich

Toyon
24-Oct-2007, 08:26
Zone VI black and white viewing filter. Though admittedly not a new product.

JPlomley
24-Oct-2007, 09:52
The Plamp..to hold a gray card to shield the front of the lens. Very light weight and can be twisted up like a pretzal for back-packing.

JPlomley
24-Oct-2007, 09:53
Ignore my last post, I already said this on page one....I'm following so many threads on this forum I've confused myself as to which ones I've already contributed.

v gese
24-Oct-2007, 11:26
Hip waders with felt soles
Short 3-step ladder
Arca Swiss B2 ballhead
Nylon zippered tube my wife made for Supertrekker that holds rainjacket,coat
"Soft" cooler (from Costco) modified to carry Sinar
Vance Gese

Don Hutton
24-Oct-2007, 11:51
My personal favorite - the little 2 way spirit level with mirror box found on Ebony 4x5 models - it rocks for quick set-up.

Eric James
24-Oct-2007, 12:34
...what's the tarp for?? dry spot to put your pack down... leanto...

Yes and sort of. I have used it as a ground cover for sleeping but the primary purpose is to keep my gear clean and dry.

When I arrive at a location I spread the tarp clean side up and unload the contents of my pack onto it. If I need to relocate a few meters I can just grab the corners and go without repacking or ferrying loads. If it starts to rain or snow or blow I fold half of the tarp over the gear and continue to work. When I'm finished I give the tarp a quick shake and fold the clean side in and secure it under the hood of my pack.

My lightest camera pack doesn't have a handy spot for the tripod so when I carry it I roll the tripod in the tarp and secure it to the top of the park – work great.

The tarp also works as a wind block: I step on two corners and raise the other end high to block the wind - works okay.

I found myself in the most beautiful setting a couple weekends ago – I was at 6500 ft without sleeping gear and had to head down before the golden hour to assure a safe descent. I wanted to spend the night but the otherwise-magical blue tarp wouldn’t have cut it.

BTW - the best rubber boots I've found are the USA made Extra Tuffs. Others might not agree but I’ve found them quite comfortable for hiking with the uppers rolled down and fitted with a good insole.

Joseph O'Neil
25-Oct-2007, 08:25
MP3 player with classical music
Large Tilley hat
Gatoraide
Titanium Nordic walking stick for hiking
Minwax paste finishing wax for camera rails

John Kasaian
25-Oct-2007, 08:37
The same idea as the tarp, but I like to use a black shower curtain instead. They fold up smaller, seem to last longer and serve for a rainy weater focusing cloth too!

Herb Cunningham
25-Oct-2007, 11:54
The tiny light meter that I got from the guys in San Fran. I keep forgetting the name
of it, but if anybody needs it I will go look. It is a touch bigger than a zippo, and I get the same readings as my Pentax spot.

I agree about collar lock tripods, I have a Reis baby with an Arca ball head that works great up to 4x5. After that I get out the carbon fiber Gitzo 1348, which has collar locks - in really cold weather the damn collars can be painful to operate. I use Arca's almost all the time, and the ball head setup is unbeatable for balancing the camera no matter what extensions you are using.

I don't backpack more than 200 yards, but Photobackpacker's Kelty 3100 is pretty good. I like his lens cases as long as you are putting them inside another case. Gnass is very good but bulky. I use them for big lenses on 171 boards.

Grafmatics probably third on my list. You get six shots, and the frames are numbered which is good for someone who is possessed of the sloppy gene.

Ben R
25-Oct-2007, 12:31
Really right stuff lever quick release system and plates.

I'm screwed if I lose my spirit level.

I used to feel the same way about the Gitzo style collar locks but the new ones are finally useable!

Ben Calwell
25-Oct-2007, 13:08
Someone to lug my gear for me.

Scott Kathe
25-Oct-2007, 13:48
Herb,

Could you do me a favor and tell me if the little light meter you are talking about is a Sekonic L-208 twinmate? My other meter is out for calibration and I used to use the L-208 but now it is the only meter I have other than in my SLRs.

I love the Photobackpacker system in the Kelty 3100 and find the Giottos rocket blower great for getting the dust off my lenses. Mount them backwards to get the dust off the back of the lens and then forward to get the dust off the front.

Scott

Stephen Willard
26-Oct-2007, 00:33
My favorite accessories or methods must have a direct impact on either my yields in the field or the quality of my photographs. Sadly, some of these things may not be affordable to many, but if you can afford them, you may want to consider them. Here is my list which some of you may not consider accessories.

1. Llamas pack my gear into remote areas where the real beauty resides, and they keep you fresh when you are in there day after day. My yields increased ten fold with llamas.

2. The Ebony AW LF cover. I can now shoot in hostile weather where the light can be amazing when the storms start to break up.

3. Color negative film with a dynamic range of 10 stops out of the box, and if you under develop it, then you can push the dynamic range to 12-14 stops. If you can see it, I can photograph without using GND filters. This range has had a huge impact on my yields.

4. Lots of lenses and more than one format. I shoot both 5x7 and 4x10 formats. This will also have a huge impact on your yields allowing you to explore lots of different compositions that are not possible to someone with just a few lenses or a single format.

5. Preloaded film. This gives you more time to shoot and reduces waste due to dust spots. Unfortunately, the formats I use are not available in preloaded film.

6. A small point-n-shoot digital camera that allows me to quickly prototype a composition. From the magnification factor displayed on the camera's LED I have made a table that tells what LF lens and format to use. Compositions that would take hours to construct ( and some times days) can be composed in just minutes with the system I have put together. Should you try this make sure there is an LED hood/shade that really works in bright sun. Most digital cameras have no such hood available to them that works well.

Rafael Garcia
26-Oct-2007, 05:15
brain

Herb Cunningham
26-Oct-2007, 05:17
The meter is the Pocket spot, by meteredlight.com.

I have had it for three years or so, and it is what I carry. Not as fancy as the Pentax, and expensive, I think I paid $400 for it, but I don't use anything else except as backup.

It measures 2x2.25x 0.75. weighs 4.5 oz.

they were pretty hard to get up with for a while, dunno if they are even in business now.

JW Dewdney
26-Oct-2007, 06:07
Funny though, I've been upside down and backwards so long that every time I use a reflex camera I get dizzy and disoriented, lol.

Actually - contrary to what one might think... it's not at all about orientation - that doesn't affect composing too much - but what's awesome about reflex hoods is that you can see the whole image clearly and brightly and simultaneously... as well as spot any issues in the image far far more easily. What was once a 15 minute setup under the gg becomes one minute.

Bill_1856
26-Oct-2007, 06:15
Actually - contrary to what one might think... it's not at all about orientation - that doesn't affect composing too much - but what's awesome about reflex hoods is that you can see the whole image clearly and brightly and simultaneously... as well as spot any issues in the image far far more easily. What was once a 15 minute setup under the gg becomes one minute.

With the reflex hood on my 4x5 Technika, all the ground glass I can see clearly is the part lined off for a 6x7 back -- the rest is really out of my usable field of view. Too bad they don't make a binocular viewer.

Ken Lee
26-Oct-2007, 06:47
"What do you consider the best recently developed LF accessories? "

This forum (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/index.php).

darr
26-Oct-2007, 07:45

Having long hair and being a bit annoyed by anything brushing the top of my head is the main reason I purchased my first reflex viewer while a student 20+ years ago. Since then, I have grown to appreciate it for the reasons stated above. I do however take it off and just view through the gg when the light allows for it.

John Kasaian
26-Oct-2007, 07:51
Not a recent development and not specifically for LF, but ziplock plastic storage bags that will contain 8x10 film holcers are something I find indespensible. The 12x20 holders go into zippered dustproof pillowcases.

Kirk Gittings
26-Oct-2007, 10:18
A couple of years ago, I tried to buy one but could never get a response.

The meter is the Pocket spot, by meteredlight.com.

I have had it for three years or so, and it is what I carry. Not as fancy as the Pentax, and expensive, I think I paid $400 for it, but I don't use anything else except as backup.

It measures 2x2.25x 0.75. weighs 4.5 oz.

they were pretty hard to get up with for a while, dunno if they are even in business now.

Scott Squires
26-Oct-2007, 13:02
I have to say the Visualizer for 4x5 and 8x10. Not new and I have had mine for 10 years or so. Makes setting up much faster and saves time. It is easy to use, light to carry and makes the mid day hunt for the next shot easy. I also put "V" notches in it for 4x10 panorama. Best $25 I have spent on LF.

For those not familiar with one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61606-REG/Visual_Departures_V100_Visualizer_for_4x5_and.html

Scott

www.scottsquires.com

John Powers
27-Oct-2007, 17:27
A wife as recent as 16 years who continually encourages me in my retirement to go for the dream of learning LF photography, in the darkroom, at school, in the field, in competitions.

A Doctor who told me to lose twenty pounds and walk a mile five times a week. A Doctor who was surprised when I asked him if I could extend the distance because I was finding great shooting opportunities in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park.

The many tools listed here that I have read about earlier here and adopted to my own use.

The lady Labradors who are always with me on hikes and shoots, who let me know when there is something or someone I should notice, who always sing out when someone approaches while I am under the dark cloth. These are our eighth and ninth lab Rescue, each who would have been put to death if not rescued, each who has brought new life, joy and hilarity to our house. Yes, the hair does show up in all the wrong places, like that 20x24 inch print you are making for next week's show.

Thanks for all the ideas.

John

Dave Wooten
27-Oct-2007, 18:09
Ford Excursion &
3 wheeled baby stroller:)

Herb Cunningham
27-Oct-2007, 20:37
I got an address, 58 West portal Ave, suite 151, in SF,

and a phone number, 415 452 9923.

Name of the company for the pocket spot is Red Light Enterprises.

Since it is the weekend, I will try monday to see if they are still around.

Anthony Lewis
27-Oct-2007, 22:06
Ebony titanium 4x5 viewing frame. It is light, easy to carry, and unbreakable. It tells me exactly the lens I want, without experimenting with a few lens. I have it tied on a string with marks that correspond to each of my lenses.

However it has a downside. I find myself in significant public places looking through this metal rectangle and varing the length of the string. When I look around I suddenly notice people staring. They either think I am stark raving mad, or a terrorist lining up a building for a hit. I will probably get a call from the thought police one day for using it.

I prefer the old days, when people would have just written me off as mad.

Greg Lockrey
28-Oct-2007, 00:15
Ebony titanium 4x5 viewing frame. It is light, easy to carry, and unbreakable. It tells me exactly the lens I want, without experimenting with a few lens. I have it tied on a string with marks that correspond to each of my lenses.

However it has a downside. I find myself in significant public places looking through this metal rectangle and varing the length of the string. When I look around I suddenly notice people staring. They either think I am stark raving mad, or a terrorist lining up a building for a hit. I will probably get a call from the thought police one day for using it.

I prefer the old days, when people would have just written me off as mad.

I made a piece of 8x10" black on one side and white on the other mount board and cut a 4x5" hole in it to use as a previewer. Come to think of it I need to make one of the 6x17. :cool:

sog1927
28-Oct-2007, 11:19
Their old website is dead, but they're still around (as of yesterday - last post to their blog):

http://meteredlight.blogspot.com/

Their blog contains the following comment:

Purveyors of MetroLux and Pocket Spot
Metered Light started as Redlight Enterprises, but when the internet came along, using redlight was not such a good idea anymore.

I think we can all sympathize ;-).

Steve

I got an address, 58 West portal Ave, suite 151, in SF,

and a phone number, 415 452 9923.

Name of the company for the pocket spot is Red Light Enterprises.

Since it is the weekend, I will try monday to see if they are still around.

Keith Pitman
28-Oct-2007, 13:18
My personal favorite - the little 2 way spirit level with mirror box found on Ebony 4x5 models - it rocks for quick set-up.

I wish I knew where I could buy one of these. Ebony will not sell them unless attached to a camera. Anyone found them elsewhere? I have several of the two-way levels that slide into the flash shoe, but it's not the same.

Alan Davenport
28-Oct-2007, 17:11
I thought I had the definitive answer, but Rafael beat me to it: a brain.

I've tried LF photography a couple of times after leaving that accessory at home, and the results were not encouraging.

sog1927
29-Oct-2007, 09:03
You forgot "forgetting to close the shutter before inserting the film holder and pulling the dark slide." I did that twice last week. :-(

Steve

Alan, having a brain is cool. But beer helps relax the brain muscles. We don't want to get a brain cramp at the decisive moment when taking a picture causing us to do silly things like drop our exposed film in a puddle of water under your tripod (seen that happen to someone), forgetting to load a sheet of film when exposing, etc. Well, heading for the fridge for a cold one, I think I feel one coming on. LOL.

Jay W
29-Oct-2007, 09:43
A blow-up queen-sized bed.

I do the majority of my shooting while camping (for 2-3 wks), and I'm old enough that sleeping pads don't cut it. I usually sleep much better camping than I do at home.

Jay

janepaints
30-Oct-2007, 22:31
Howdy

I wanna tell ya a story. This is gonna be a lot of blab to lead up to a VERY simple accessory. So sue me. :)

Just recently I've become a photographer again. From 1980 until 1990 photography obsessed me and I pursued it to the exclusion of all other mediums (I'm also a musician & painter--painting has been my primary livelihood since 1991). Photography had become part of my livelihood by the end of the 80's, combined with Graphics/Typography/Art Direction/Music. I shot 35, 120, 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10. Product, Portraits & Illustrative.

Eventually my love burnt out. Photography had become my JOB, no longer a passion. YUCK.

So, Goodbye Photography. I kept a 35mm SLR and a P'roid SX-70 for practical purposes.

But part of me still missed photography and I thought "someday I'll get another view camera and just make B & W contact prints for my own pleasure. Keep everything simple and non-commercial"

Seven years ago I bought a Korona 4x5 'cycle style' camera and then a 127mm Ektar-in-a-Rapax at flea markets. But I didn't do anything with them--just put them on a shelf and thought "someday."

My enthusiasm was rekindled recently after seeing 4x5 B&W negs scanned on (relatively affordable) desktop scanners and printed via inkjet. My brain got almost as busy & on-fire with the possibilities as back in '80 when I got an Argus A and fell in love with it. (the images were found here on LF Forum, but I forget whose they were--but THANKS, WHOEVER--and thanks to all of ya for all the info, tips, images, ideas & wisecracks found here.)

So I finally refurbished the little Korona VII and mounted the Ektar on it. Bought some 4x5 holders, chemicals, a graduate, a developing tank for taco style etc.

Then I went through 'The Jane Archives'. Looked at all my old photos.

Dang. Mostly, total rubbish. Jane wants to be Ansel or Walker Evans or Sinsabaugh or whoever. It was dreadful. And VERY educational.

But not all of my old photos were dreadful.

The bad photos tended to've been made when I was fancy, used the best gear, really knew my stuff. Tilt them tilts. Sheim them sheimflugs. Depth that field.

The good photos tended to've been made when I'd looked at something, gone "WOW" and clicked the shutter, empty of mind, all eye, no 'Masters Of Important Photography & Important Ultra-Technical Top-Secret Photo Information' lurking around my brain.

i.e. my good photos were about LOOKING, not gear, photographic history, other photographers or Latest Trends In Photography. Regardless of format.

Filed-away-but-vivid-again memories about making the 'good' pictures.

One afternoon when a beam of sunlight on the wall-mounted telephone made the kitchen surreal and I couldn't look at or think about anything else. Result: a haunting 8 x 10 neg. A kid with an x-mas-gift ventriloquism dummy, sitting on the sofa looking more like Howdy Doody than the dummy did. Result: a good 4x5 neg. Various NJ scenes-seen-while-driving. Jump out of the car, grab the camera and shoot, fast & excited.

So I realized GOTTA KEEP IT SIMPLE AND MINDLESS. That's what works for me. I love many images made by people who work differently, but that's what works for them....Me? I am simple and better keep that simple fact in my empty & simple mind. :)

So I have the Korona, basic developing gear. Holders. A 5x7 cycle-style camera & contact printing frame are arriving, gotten via eBay. I plan to get a TLR and/or folding compact 120. Got a few lenses. A basic tripod. All set to go blow lots of $$$ on GRAVEN IMAGES again.

Then...and THEN....AND THEN!!!!!

And then I saw something which would PERFECTLY help keep my large-negative photography simple, compact, lightweight and SIMPLE.

A Gorillapod. My Korona weighs like 2 pounds. Maybe 3. Often the things I wanna shoot are seen while driving, walking or riding a bicycle. The gorillapod allows me to remain in the car or use the car (or a tree limb, signpost or guard rail etc. ) as part of the camera support. Fast. Simple. The entire rig can fit in my larger purses & shoulderbags! It's light. And as simple as simple gets.

Below, My Korona on the Gorillapod. Sorry for the bad pic-- My digital camera is like The 'Digital Diana Camera'. That dreadful. :)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g249/janepaints/gorillakorona.jpg

janepaints
30-Oct-2007, 22:47
Addenda to my previous post.........

I also realized that my best pix tended to happen when I had fewer options.

Fixed-lens TLR's & 35mm rangefinders. View/press cameras with just one lens.

In general, when my toolbox offered more options my pictures tended towards Worse & Worser.

Ye old 'Less Is More' knocks yet again.

The meter in my 35mm SLR went kerflooey about 1994. So I began to use the 'Sunny 16' or 'Quasi-Educated Guess' or 'What The Hey, Might As Well Try It' methods of exposure determination.

All three tactics have worked OK.

I will continue to use them on my Korona & Seneca.

rippo
30-Oct-2007, 22:56
jane: i talk like that when i've had two margaritas. cheers! :)

a 5x7 on a gorillapod. i am frightened. and yet strangely intrigued.

sounds like you have grabbed photography by the throat and told it who's boss. well done! so...what was the accessory? the gorillapod?

janepaints
30-Oct-2007, 23:32
jane: i talk like that when i've had two margaritas. cheers! :)

a 5x7 on a gorillapod. i am frightened. and yet strangely intrigued.

sounds like you have grabbed photography by the throat and told it who's boss. well done! so...what was the accessory? the gorillapod?

Hiya Rippo

When I have two margaritas (or two of anything) I seem to lose any ability to talk, think, blink or do much of anything whatsoever. So I don't have two or even one of anything. Anymore.

It's more like My Photographic Ineptness has grabbed me by my so-called brain and hollered "KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID." The KISS Method.:)

But seriously....oldtime 'cycle-style' cameras weigh VERY little. They mostly offer only very-basic bellow-extensions, movements etc. But they're quite-functional large-format cameras on the Cheap & Simple Side Of Life.

I just did a gerry-rigged Balancing Scale Test. Took a 24" plank of poplar. Balanced it over a dowel at midplank. Placed my Korona (with lens and inserted film holder) on one end, a liter bottle of water on the other. The bottle won the see-saw contest. Utterly. The 5x7 Seneca I bought would probably lose the contest as well. They're just wood, bellows, ground glass, small lenses and TINY bits of metal. Glorified cigar boxes.

Basic Definition Of 'Camera': Lens on one coast, Film on the other coast and lotsa Dark in-between.

And yes--the Gorillapod was my Good Accessory Nomination.

--Jane

Dave Jeffery
31-Oct-2007, 01:42
1. Half of a 3 mil contractors garbage bag to keep my gear clean on the ground.
2. REI Trekker hiking poles to reduce shock on the knees going downhill -Amazing!
3. Coleman Ultimate Extreme marine 7 day cooler. It's $70 but it will pay itself off quickly with no more lost time going to get ice, the cost of the ice, and the gas wasted all considered. I bought it when I had to let food sit for four days while on a hike. It works very well and all my coolers will be replaced by them soon.
4. Dual socks, thin inner sock and thick superwool outer socks have eliminated any blisters from ever happening.
5. Have yet to get Iodine and vitamin C to replace using Micropur. Iodine will kill anything in the water in half an hour and a good shot of vitamin C will nutralize the iodine- no more bad taste and quick cheap water treatment.
6. Ziplock large bags 15" x 15" to store Quickload boxes in a cooler.
7. Love the Photobackpacker lens cases. Very light a well made.
8. Converted cheap beach chair bag as a tripod bag. Needs some reinforcing and padding but they work great and don't attrack attention.
9. 2 Quickload boxes a with thin foam lining inside on the sides. Probably not neccesary but I hate hearing the film in the box hit the inside of the box on every step.
10. Dry Gatorade mix. Hiking in the desert heat requires drinking LOTS of water and eletrolytes as well as salt get flushed out of the body.
11. 4x reading glasses for composing the image on the GG as recommended a while back on this forum.

Happy Trails!

Gary Tarbert
31-Oct-2007, 04:22
I have seen photobackbacker lens cases mentioned on this thread several times .
Where do you get them & what are they?
The reason i ask is i use my wifes old tupperware to hold lenses mounted on boards .
With silica gel inside to prevent moisture problems ,but they tend too be a bit bulky.cheers Gary

Kirk Gittings
31-Oct-2007, 08:54
http://www.photobackpacker.com/home.asp

It is great stuff.

rippo
31-Oct-2007, 09:02
When I have two margaritas (or two of anything) I seem to lose any ability to talk, think, blink or do much of anything whatsoever. So I don't have two or even one of anything. Anymore.

I happened to have two margaritas under my belt last night when i typed that. In retrospect it might have been insulting, so i apologize if it offended.

i think the gorillapod is an excellent and unexpected accessory choice!

I have a kit 4x5 i bought from someone awhile back that could possibly survive on the biggest gorillapod, although i don't know if i'd want to attach it to a tree or railing...just set it on something. unfortunately, the gg seems to be misaligned in reference to the film plane. so i removed the lens and it will sit in a box.

Eric James
20-Apr-2008, 11:31
Though I've never made it a habit to carry one, after yesterday's rain sleet and snow my new favorite accessory is a dry cotton towel. I think I'll start packing a couple hand towels in gallon-sized Freezer Ziplocks.