PDA

View Full Version : Gnass Again....

Kirk Gittings
19-Oct-2007, 08:41
Just to follow up. Product testing.......I have been very critical of Gnass' business practices, to the point, slow delivery and poor communication.

Earlier this week, Don Boyd and I were in the Canyonlands shooting with some of the same products and I thought a follow up was in order. After a couple of years of using their lens cases and their Rapid Load holder for ready loads, I have to say that their products are superb, worth every penny and worth the wait for delivery. The lens case is designed so that it kind of snaps open and stays open or snaps shut and stays shut well enough so that you don't have to zipper it shut. This allows for very quick access to your lenses. Plus they are well protected, but really easy to get in and out and light.

The ready load film holder is the great complimentary invention to readyloads. Two of the great inventions in the 30 years I have been shooting LF. It creates a workflow with the use of ready loads that is convenient (it hangs from your tripod head right where you need it), fool proof (in terms of what is shot and what isn't before you get the tabs on them) and lightweight.

If you don't use these products, check them out:

http://www.gnassgear.com/products/product_info.cfm

eric black
19-Oct-2007, 08:55
Im a big fan of the dark cloth they sell as well and highly recommend it as worth the wait too

Daniel_Buck
19-Oct-2007, 09:04
I have been using their "film holder file" that my Uncle has given me to use. I've found it to be an excellent product, well thought out!

Eric, their dark cloth, is it fairly heavy? (not light to blow around in the wind?) I'm in the market for a dark cloth to replace the one I'm borrowing. I like that it is fairly thick and heavy, doesn't blow around much.

JPlomley
19-Oct-2007, 09:04
I gave up waiting for Gnass. A three month old email regarding whether or not they are even still in business was never answered. So I tried out Photobackpacker cases. To make a long story short, my wife and I now have 7 Photobackpacker cases, a custom enclosure for the Arca Swiss F-Field camera, and a Kelty Redwing 3100 and GG Nimbus 3800. It just does not get any better than this and Bruce will go the full nine to make you a happy customer. Oh yeah, I only had to wait a week for the entire kit.

Kirk Gittings
19-Oct-2007, 09:29
I gave up waiting for Gnass. A three month old email regarding whether or not they are even still in business was never answered. So I tried out Photobackpacker cases. To make a long story short, my wife and I now have 7 Photobackpacker cases, a custom enclosure for the Arca Swiss F-Field camera, and a Kelty Redwing 3100 and GG Nimbus 3800. It just does not get any better than this and Bruce will go the full nine to make you a happy customer. Oh yeah, I only had to wait a week for the entire kit.

Bruce at Photobackpacker makes great products too and is a real business professional. I have examined them many times at the VC Conference and many of my LF friends love his products. I just ordered his his large kelty pack which I will use with my Lowepro insert for a more comfortable daypack and no doubt will be integrating some of his cases too in the future.

Aender Brepsom
19-Oct-2007, 10:15
Another vote for both Gnass Gear and the Photobackpackers products. I love the Gnass film holder pouch. Although I have to confirm their poor communication efforts, my item arrived reasonably fast and it's really very helpful, mostly because you can hang it on the tripod head.
I also use a camera case from Photobackpackers which is very well made, offers good protection and is really lightweight.

Both are very fine accessories.

darr
19-Oct-2007, 10:53
I have used Gnass products for a few successful years. I have my 45SU stowed in one of their camera cases when not in use, my lenses and some accessories stowed in various lens cases, and I started using their ready load holder last year. I think the wait was 30 days or less on all of my orders and the quality is superb.

Struan Gray
19-Oct-2007, 11:54
The lens cases are the bee's knees. Subtly better than anything similar I've seen.

I have a ready/quickload case that I use for my Quickchange system. It's a nice enough thing, but I can't rave about it the way I do the lens cases. Mostly it's because the holders are not sealed against lint and dust when packed away - which makes me wary of having them loose in a backpacking or dayhiking rucksack.

eric black
19-Oct-2007, 13:42
I find the dark cloth to be about a medium weight cloth- I use the snaps in higher wind conditions and havent had any problems in my opinion (and that includes shooting at Zabriskie Pt in 50 mph winds that had the 8x10 shooters running for cover!, I actually ran too after I got my shot of the storm clearing) What I like most is the material- it doesnt bunch up on my head or get static-ey (for lack of a better word) and having shot in the desert at 100 plus degrees I found it to breathe quire well.

Keith Pitman
19-Oct-2007, 19:11
Another vote for the Gnass dark cloth. I think I'll buy a spare.

Brad Rippe
19-Oct-2007, 20:34
Ive used the Gnass dark cloth for the last two years and love it. It is made of a dark colored fabric that may be hot for those in the desert, but its a simple, well thought out design.

Dirk Rösler
21-Oct-2007, 21:16
Yes, it is a good darkcloth and IMO "airy" enough even in hot weather (esp. when compared to my BTZS style tube, which is silver-ish).

Dirk

seawolf66
24-Oct-2007, 10:57
I just checked their store and found the follow store off line , I wonder are they in the fire area?

Eric James
24-Oct-2007, 12:38
They are far to the north I believe, but they also make specialty gear for firefighters and are probably working hard in some capacity to put out the flames.

I use their lens cases and like them but I wish the back pocket was zippered or Velcro-ed closed rather than snapped shut. I had a look at their camera case and found it well-made with great materials, but oversized for the Ebony SV45U2. The LowePro Omni Sport is less expensive, lighter and fits the SV45U2 and RW45 very well.

Kirk Gittings
29-Oct-2007, 11:52
I just visited the Gnass site. They have suspended online sales:

"Due to unforeseen circumstances, the GnassGear online store has been temporarily suspended.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause our customers. However, we are working expeditiously to fulfill all outstanding orders and expect to back in full operation soon.

Please contact Justin Gnass for further information regarding the status of your order.
Photo Products & Firefighting Gear — Orders & Manufacturing
Justin Gnass & Co.
1718 Palm Ave
Chico, CA 95926 USA
justin.gnass@gnassgear.com
530.894.5819 -- tel
530.894.5640 -- fax"

Sheldon N
29-Oct-2007, 14:13
Perhaps he's busy working the California wildfires....

Kirk Gittings
29-Oct-2007, 14:17
Good point. I wish him well if he is.

edwincherry
10-Feb-2008, 12:52
I ordered a couple of lens cases from Justin in late October .. my redit card was charged at that time ($130)... have not heard a word since or seen product. Yes I am aware of the website ... phone number is disconnected.

Any news as to Justin's whereabouts & if he is delivering product??