PDA

View Full Version : Notching Cut Film

jetcode
18-Oct-2007, 11:14
I am going to be buying 8x10 and cutting it down to 4x10 and 5x7. What do folks use to notch the sheets that aren't already notched?

Thanks,
Joe

Larry Gebhardt
18-Oct-2007, 11:54
I use a corner rounder I stole from my wife's scrap booking supplies. I t isn't a notch per say, but it identifies the corner just fine.

Gene McCluney
18-Oct-2007, 12:00
A common hand-held hole punch, available from well stocked office supply stores would work well. The kind the paperboy used to punch your subscription card with, when you paid him. You can not fully insert the sheet into the jaws of the punch, and you would get a semi-circular notch.

You could also get a paper punch, like used to punch sheets to fit into a ring binder, and these have adjustable punches. These are also relatively inexpensive office-supply items.

Gene McCluney
18-Oct-2007, 12:03
I am going to be buying 8x10 and cutting it down to 4x10 and 5x7. What do folks use to notch the sheets that aren't already notched?

Thanks,
Joe

I can understand cutting down 8x10 to make 4x10's, but 5x7 is a stock film size, and it would be much better to just purchase your film in that size..we need to keep sales up you know to ensure future supplies..unless you are using "special" types of film that are not available in 5x7, such as X-ray film.

David A. Goldfarb
18-Oct-2007, 12:03
Some people just clip the corner.

Dan Schmidt
18-Oct-2007, 12:53
"special" types of film that are not available in 5x7, such as X-ray film.

or tmax 400

Bruce Watson
18-Oct-2007, 12:58
or tmax 400

Or indeed, any color film.

Gene McCluney
18-Oct-2007, 13:18
or tmax 400

Sorry, I just didn't realize about TMZ, as I use Fomapan 200 myself in 5x7.

jetcode
18-Oct-2007, 13:32
I can understand cutting down 8x10 to make 4x10's, but 5x7 is a stock film size, and it would be much better to just purchase your film in that size..we need to keep sales up you know to ensure future supplies..unless you are using "special" types of film that are not available in 5x7, such as X-ray film.

Why do I want to stock 2 different size films when I can cut as necessary for the format of choice based on image requirements? This approach will keep my film fresh. When I look at Badger's stock of 5x7 I don't see a lot of choices in color that I can readily access in 8x10. Since I am cutting film anyway what's the difference? The 5x7 market (while a favorite format) has always been a bit iffy; film choices, holders, etc.