PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 Series V Protar question

Clyde Rogers
17-Oct-2007, 07:22
Hi all,

I've been reading the thread on 14x17 wide lenses, where Jim Galli states: "May as well buy the Dagor. Protar's have crossed over into exotic land."

I've got a nice little 11x14 (about 270mm) B&L Series V Zeiss Protar in barrel that I've been saving for a future 7x17 camera. If this lens has become "exotic", maybe I should sell it to someone who needs the coverage more than I will (the B&L catalog at cameraeccentric claims 18x22 inch coverage at small stops!), put the money towards affording the camera, and be content with my 305 G-Claron.

Do you lens/ULF experts think I'd regret selling the Protar? And how the heck do you even figure out what one of these is worth? I can't find any reference to one on ebay.

Thanks,

Clyde Rogers

Hugo Zhang
17-Oct-2007, 07:35
Clyde,

The last such lens sold on ebay two weeks ago for $535, in prinstine condition with a leather cap. Last year's record was $1,800. It all depends how many people want your lens and how badly they want it. :)

John Z.
17-Oct-2007, 10:50
I have tried the Series V Protar lenses on my 11x14, and although they are fine lenses, I found the f18 maximum aperture a real problem. The image on the ground glass was usually very hard to see.
I try to stick with lenses that are at least f12 or wider. Having said that, I would still recommend you try it, as it is a fine lens for some landscape photos.

sanking
17-Oct-2007, 12:57
Hi all,

I've been reading the thread on 14x17 wide lenses, where Jim Galli states: "May as well buy the Dagor. Protar's have crossed over into exotic land."

I've got a nice little 11x14 (about 270mm) B&L Series V Zeiss Protar in barrel that I've been saving for a future 7x17 camera. If this lens has become "exotic", maybe I should sell it to someone who needs the coverage more than I will (the B&L catalog at cameraeccentric claims 18x22 inch coverage at small stops!), put the money towards affording the camera, and be content with my 305 G-Claron.

Do you lens/ULF experts think I'd regret selling the Protar? And how the heck do you even figure out what one of these is worth? I can't find any reference to one on ebay.

Thanks,

Clyde Rogers

Clyde,

I would personally be very reluctant to sell a 270mm Series V Protar. However, for 7X17 the 305 G-Claron will be much easier to use because of the wider aperture, and the difference in focal length is not that great. Also, even a much less expensive 270mm Dagor would give you the wide coverage if needed.

As I see it, the 270mm Protar is a more unique lens for 8X20, 12X20 or 14X17.

Bottom line, if I were you, and not moving in the direction of the larger formats, I would sell the lens.

Sandy

Clyde Rogers
17-Oct-2007, 16:07
Thank you for the opinions and advice so far. It seems clear that it is a bit of overkill for 7x17, and might be more well-used by someone targeting larger formats. The ebay lens is one size smaller than mine (10x12), so based on Hugo's numbers, I expect it is worth $1000 (or perhaps more with the right buyer).

I wish I could predict the future---I have no idea if 7x17 will be a first step into a bright future of ever-increasing film sizes, or an expensive seldom-used stifling boat anchor.

I will think on this a bit, and hope for an epiphany...additional information and opinions are welcome.

Thanks again,

--clyde

Hugo Zhang
17-Oct-2007, 19:05
Clyde,

This is a good lens for a 8x20 camera. I have used both 7x17 and 8x20. You really don't need another upgrade for panoramic cameras when you use 8x20.

Tri Tran
17-Oct-2007, 19:50
Hi Clyde,
I have a solution for you. Still keeping the Protar V in the bank and ofcourse plus some extra $$$ for your 7x17 :) . Please PM if you like to know how? TT.