PDA

View Full Version : The Chamonix 8 x 20 is here!!

Rick Olson
16-Oct-2007, 17:08
Hi all,

As promised, I wanted to provide some pictures of my new Chamonix 8 x 20 camera. First, a short story ...

I read the Chamonix threads here way back and it was at a time I was thinking about getting a 7 x 17 camera. After more reading, I decided to contact Hugo Zhang for some general info. My luck, he lives in Southern California and agreed to bring over a 7 x 17 camera to my office. It was the beautiful blonde model and the thing I noticed right away was the build quality and fit. Having a musical background, I have seen some quality woodwork on string instruments and this camera reminded me of looking at the same. The movements were smooth and everything worked well. After having done some more "testing" I tacked a 7 x 17 and 8 x 20 piece of paper on my wall at home and stared at them for weeks. After more research on lenses, film, etc. I decided that the 8 x 20 just looked better. I contacted Hugo and asked for the price for the 8 x 20 with a couple of holders and the cost difference was not so bad.

I made the deal with Hugo last week and now I am the proud owner of a beautiful, new 8 x 20. This camera is quite beautiful with multi-colored dark woods with a dash of light wood in the base support.

Now ... on to the photos

Here we have the supplied case and close up of the base and the overall base when folded up.

Rick Olson
16-Oct-2007, 17:18
Once we have the camera out of the case, it is quite compact and folds almost as flat as my Shen-Hao 5 x 7. Pretty remarkable!

Next we have Chamonix's label affixed to the base and some views of camera flat and ready to be opened.

Trust me, my cheap digital camera does not capture the beauty of this camera ...

Rick Olson
16-Oct-2007, 17:30
Next, it's time to get the camera open. With my Shen-Hao 5 x 7, it's a bit of a gymnastic trick to get the front stand loosened, pulled all the way up in the full rise position, then swung over, lining up the clasps in the support tracks, etc. It took me a while to get that right! With the Chamonix, you simply loosen the rear standard arms, pull the back up and the front is loose, waiting for you to decide which hole to screw the front standard into based on your lens and focus need, etc. Takes just seconds.

Here are some more views ...

Terence McDonagh
16-Oct-2007, 17:41
Damn, that is pretty. The mahoghany front standard is beautiful.

What is the max extension?

Jan Pedersen
16-Oct-2007, 17:53
Congratulation Rick. That is one beautiful camera. Almost to nice to use.

Rick Olson
16-Oct-2007, 17:54
And on to more views of the camera ...

Here we have the back open, a view of the levels, the full "frontal" and the camera closed back up.

You can use Sinar type boards on this camera.

sanking
16-Oct-2007, 17:54
Next, it's time to get the camera open. With my Shen-Hao 5 x 7, it's a bit of a gymnastic trick to get the front stand loosened, pulled all the way up in the full rise position, then swung over, lining up the clasps in the support tracks, etc. It took me a while to get that right! With the Chamonix, you simply loosen the rear standard arms, pull the back up and the front is loose, waiting for you to decide which hole to screw the front standard into based on your lens and focus need, etc. Takes just seconds.

Here are some more views ...

That is a real beauty, Rick.

Build and finish on the Chamonix cameras is about the best I have seen for wood cameras.

And, the Chamonix cameras are highly practical in use, suggesting to me that they were designed by real photographers experienced in using the format. That is rarely the case with current ULF cameras as most models suggest that the maker never even contemplated actually taking the camera in the field and making a negative.

The above comment does not apply to Richard Ritter cameras, which are very practical and clearly show that the maker is also an image maker who understands use of ULF cameras in the field.

Sandy King

Rick Olson
16-Oct-2007, 18:10
Time for the film holders. These are light wood only and have carbon fiber darkslides. They are quite nice also ...

Here are the camera specs ...

8 x 20 weight 4650g(white), 5110g(black)
Bellows Max: 690mm
Bellows Min: 100mm,
Rear standard tilt 10 degrees
Front rise and fall 100mm
Left and right shift 75mm

That's all for now!! Time to load up some film for the weekend!

Capocheny
16-Oct-2007, 18:48
Rick,

I think I hear the sound of serious "drooling" out there on the forum. :)

Congratulations on the purchase... pretty sweet looking camera!

Have fun with it.

Cheers

PBrooks
16-Oct-2007, 20:48
Rick, just curious does your have 5" lensboards, my 14x17 does. I don't know if this is true but according to the ebay ads a sinar board will fit, might save you from making any.
PBrooks

walter23
16-Oct-2007, 20:50
Wow, that sure is a nice looking camera.

PBrooks
16-Oct-2007, 20:51
very nice camera

Clyde Rogers
16-Oct-2007, 20:59
Thanks for the photos, very nice. May the light be with you this weekend!

--clyde

roteague
16-Oct-2007, 22:58
Very beautiful camera. I put my name down for the 4x5 version, and now I'm getting excited about getting it.

PBrooks
16-Oct-2007, 23:03
Rick, have you thought about lenses yet, I'm sure you have but if not you better start.
PBrooks

Nick_3536
17-Oct-2007, 02:30
Those film holders look very similar to the Shen Hao 5x7 holders.

I'm curious about the lensboards to. Sort of expecting it would come with the now common Sinar to Linhoff adapter.

Did you ask about bellows or other changes? I was hoping for a 11x14 with longer bellows.

Thanks for the photos.

Rick Olson
17-Oct-2007, 07:18
Hi all,

The camera takes SINAR type boards. And for the lens, I have the weapon of choice for this format - the 355 G-Claron.

Rick

eddie
17-Oct-2007, 07:21
cool. i can not wait to get mine......4x5.......:) :)

Turner Reich
17-Oct-2007, 08:32
how much?$$'s

CP Goerz
17-Oct-2007, 13:33
Only 690mm on an 8x20??

CP Goerz

Rick Olson
17-Oct-2007, 15:23
Hello CP Goerz,

My preference is for a wider view and I am not planning to use focal length lenses that are too long. This and the reduced weight of not having a huge bellows and the required tracks to handle was fine with me. Yes, a trade off, but it is a field camera and I wanted to keep the weight and size manageable. No "working from the trunk" camera for me. I am going portable with this one!

Rick :)

Only 690mm on an 8x20??

CP Goerz

Tom Diekwisch
17-Oct-2007, 15:31
I agree with CP Goerz. 800mm bellows would make it much more versatile. There are a number of lenses in the 600-800mm range that would fit nicely with the 8x20.

Dave Wooten
17-Oct-2007, 16:47
355 G Claron and 450 Fugi C or 450 Nikor M would be a nice set up and the 600 Fugi C would be nice, it should handle ok at infinity.

What is out there for longer? I am aware of 760 and up nikor process lenses lenses and the "new" 1100 Fine Art XXL.....other options and suggestions?:)

Rick Olson
17-Oct-2007, 18:51
Dave ... my thoughts exactly. I was actually hoping for something a little wider than the 355. I think the 305 G-Claron can reach with a little movement. Also considering the Nikkor 450 M as a longer option. The 550 XXL would be nice and it has a golf umbrella sized image circle, but that's an expensive one!

355 G Claron and 450 Fugi C or 450 Nikor M would be a nice set up and the 600 Fugi C would be nice, it should handle ok at infinity.

What is out there for longer? I am aware of 760 and up nikor process lenses lenses and the "new" 1100 Fine Art XXL.....other options and suggestions?:)

Hugo Zhang
17-Oct-2007, 18:59
For my 8x20, I have 5 lenses from 305mm all the way to 890mm. What I have found out after one years use that 90% of the time I use my 14" Blue Dot Trigor. When I go out now, I just pack one lens and save the weight and space for film holders.

Rick, If you really want to use longer bellows for any reason, a second bellows with an extension rail and rack can be made for you. To get an idea, look at the for sale section. Tri put some pictures of 20x24" of such a camera last week. If you look for something wider, try a 12" Dagor. Some of them cover 8x20, according to Sandy.

Colin Graham
17-Oct-2007, 20:47
Seems like a really well thought out camera, tailored to what you personally want and need. I'm very impressed.

chilihead
17-Oct-2007, 21:23
Does it have mirror lock-up? And... I can't see anywhere to attach a motor drive...