PDA

View Full Version : Efke processing problem

Paul Butler
16-Oct-2007, 03:30
I recently had many 5x7 sheets of Efke PL100 processed by an excellent "professional" lab and the results were gorgeous. I liked them so much that I exposed about 20 more negatives and took them in.

The lab uses a continuous process machine; this time about 6 of the negatives came through with what the tech described as a "goo" on the surface and the negatives with the goo got stuck on the rollers in the dryer unit and were bent and ruined. Gorgeous, but the plastic is creased! These were all from the same box as all the other PL100 sheets I've shot. They had to take the dryer apart and clean the rollers. The "goo" appeared to be on the emulsion side.

Indeed, the rest of the negatives from this batch (same box, same batch from Efke) came out fine.

Any one else had this problem? Any idea what is going on? It is pretty disappointing having some crucial negatives ruined. The lab attributes this to irregular Q.C. at a small "boutique" shop like Efke.

Paul Butler

Patrik Roseen
16-Oct-2007, 06:23
The Efke rolls and sheets I have developed myself have not had any 'goo'.

I recently handed in Efke 50 in 120-format to a lab in Stockholm. I was surprised to find that the rolls came back with black streaks on them ('goo'?). I could not work out if it was there from the start or if it came from the lab.

What I do know is that efke sheet film gets very sticky as it dries, i.e. inbetween being very wet and completely dry. Getting two sheets too close to each other they will certainly get stuck. Maybe the previous sheets smeared the roller.

Glenn Thoreson
17-Oct-2007, 18:41
Efke emulsion is very soft when wet. If the lab didn't use a hardening fixer, it's possible that the emulsion stuck to the rollers. That could account for what they described as "goo". I would say it's very likely to have been the problem. If their rollers were not absolutely clean to begin with, I'd almost bet on it.

Turner Reich
21-Oct-2007, 00:15
I think Glenn is right on the mark from what I know about emulsions coming off on the rollers of automated processors. You got luck the first time.