PDA

View Full Version : Old Arca-Swiss bellows/bases and F-line frames?

Carsten Wolff
15-Oct-2007, 15:57
I'm wondering if anyone would know whether I could fix/modify my old Arca B (=base tilt) kit like this:
I've put 2 old Arca Bs (a 5x7 with the leather w/a/ bellows and a 4x5 with a standard one) together into a more modular "2 to 3 standard" Arca and have been pleased with the result. However, the 171mm 4x5 standard frames are all cracked (plastic, vs. the metal 5x7 frame) and I thought I might be able to replace them with F or M-line frames. (Although I had glued them, after which they were fine for a long time, recent abuse (read: smash) damaged the bellows locking mechanism).
Would anyone know whether that would work, i.e. would the bellows and the tilt mechanisms (or could they be made to) match these frames? The swing/tilt base I'm quite sure would fit; the bellows however I'm less sure about. I've read somewhere that pre-1984 bellows will not fit modern frames (but can they be slightly modified, so that they would?)
The lens board panel is less of an issue as I've got all of my lenses on Linhof boards anyway.
I live in a small town in regional Australia, so popping into the nearest Arca dealer to mix-and-match is not the easy option....:(.
Any help appreciated.

Kerry L. Thalmann
15-Oct-2007, 16:27
Mark,

The new/old ARCA-SWISS bellows frames are not compatible. The newer style format frames should however fit your older function carriers. I'll double check when I get home tonight, but I'm 99% sure that's the case (other than the old, oversized 8x10 rear function carrier from the pre F-Line days).

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
15-Oct-2007, 22:26
Carsten,

I just double checked and the newer F-Line style format frames do indeed fit the older style pre F-Line function carriers.

Kerry

Carsten Wolff
15-Oct-2007, 23:35
I pinged Kerry and he was kind enough to pm me a few ideas back; those should help me adapt my old bellows to new frames. I'll post a few pics/thought once and if I get it all working.
Thanks, Kerry! Fingers crossed.