PDA

View Full Version : How does Beselar PM2a work ?

werps
27-Oct-2000, 20:14
I just received a used Pma2 without a manual. When turned on the needle jumps al l the way to the right and back left where it stays. It doesn't matter if using it in probe or panel mode, or with color or B/W film. Can someone please tell me how to operate this unit or tell me if it's defective. Thanks Again, Wil

Scott Walton
30-Oct-2000, 12:31
As I recall, you first have to make a perfect print and then using the probe, fi nd either a grey (18%) or a white and then zero all the channels using the dials on the analyzer. This will program that color for the next printing sessio n. After you have programmed the analyzer, take your probe and find the appropriate color or tone from your next negative and with using your enlarger d ials (or filters) put in the appropriate filters. Then go back to the exposure and make sure you read that one also. I'm probably forgetting something but that is the gist of it. Cheers, Scott

David A. Goldfarb
30-Oct-2000, 14:09
I have one of these, but haven't used it for a while, as I haven't been doing much color lately and don't find I need it for B&W. As I recall:

First off, the manual warns against turning it on in roomlight. Only turn it on under the enlarger light.

The above instructions are correct. You can calibrate to any tone, so you might have different settings for fleshtones, green foliage, sky blue, pure whites, neutral gray, or different zones in B&W, and you can have different settings for different papers or processes. If you are using the analyzer for B&W, don't forget to turn off the safelight when calibrating or reading a negative for exposure (if your safelight plugs into your enlarger timer, it will usually do this automatically).

Once you've calibrated to a particular tone, you put the probe under a part of the image containing the reference tone, and for color, adjust the filtration on each channel so that each color zeroes and so that the exposure time is reasonable (approximately equal to your reference print, ideally). For B&W, you can use the neutral channel to determine exposure time.

You might find that even with the analyzer, you still don't always get it right on the first print. Get a set of Kodak Color Print Viewing filters for fine tuning. As you make more good prints, you can calibrate for more tones and colors, and will have a list of possible settings for a variety of different situations.

Marcus J. Wilson
30-Oct-2000, 15:39
You can order an instruction manual from your local camera dealer (one that sells Beseler products) Or check their web site.