PDA

View Full Version : W.A. Rectilinear in shutter

Neil Purling
15-Oct-2007, 14:37
I have a 6" f16 Wide Angle Rectilinear by Wray of London. It has the f stops punched in a disc, f16 - f64. This sort of design allgedly covers 8x10, which probably means straight-on.
I was wondering about having the cells mounted into a shutter.
I note that the f 16 stop doesn't use the whole of the lens. I reckon you could get perhaps f11, which would introduce some more tasty aberrations.
Anyone had the cells of one of these put into a shutter?
A older shutter would probably be better, like a Ilex or Alphax, but it depends on what Grimes advise.

This sounds like gross butchery but to front-mount the lens into a shutter I lose a deal of that massive coverage.

Toyon
15-Oct-2007, 15:05
I don't think front mounting a shutter means that you would lose coverage. Just find a large enough shutter. I also believe you could rear mount it. Otherwise W.A. RR can be extremely sharp so I think you would have a potentially great lens.

Gene McCluney
15-Oct-2007, 17:41
I have a couple of these very small extreme-wide angle lenses for 8x10 that have the wheel stops. I use one of those iris lens mounts in front of a packard shutter. Works great. and the Iris lens mount can mount many other lenses.

Neil Purling
15-Oct-2007, 22:28
I didn't think you could get a Packard Shutter for a Pacemaker Graphic lens panel or to fit a Linhof Technika panel. The pair both of them are rather small and I thought these devices were intended for the big studio monorails.

Gene McCluney
15-Oct-2007, 23:21
I didn't think you could get a Packard Shutter for a Pacemaker Graphic lens panel or to fit a Linhof Technika panel. The pair both of them are rather small and I thought these devices were intended for the big studio monorails.

I have a wood Agfa/Ansco 8x10, which I also have a 4x5 back for. This is what I have a packard shutter and iris lens mount mounted for. The lens discussed in this thread, and also the lenses which I have which are similar are designed to cover 8x10. A Pacemaker Graphic is a 4x5 camera. You "can" get a packard shutter to fit most any camera, and they made them quite small, and these lenses under discussion are very, very tiny. I doubt one could find an iris lens mount small enough to fit a Pacemaker lensboard, though.

erie patsellis
16-Oct-2007, 10:07
I"ve got a 3 1/4" square packard sitting here, it was mounted on a 4x4 lensboard, how small is the pacemaker lensboards?

erie

Neil Purling
16-Oct-2007, 23:04
The Pacemaker lans panels are not quite square, but 3 1/4" square would be right when one excludes the lip around the edges.

Neil Purling
23-Oct-2007, 14:29
The great attraction of the Wray is that it is going to be well within its sweet spot, even if I stuck the lens on my Linhof. There seems to be quite a few of these little lenses around, by various English and European makers.