PDA

View Full Version : film envelopes

keith english
15-Oct-2007, 08:06
I couldn't find this specifically in the archives, and it may seem basic but, What is the consensus on keeping the film in the envelope once it is opened vs throwing the envelope away and just keeping the film in the box. Is the extra light protection worth the risk of damaging the film getting it out of the envelope? Also, as mentioned in the Tmax 400 thread, the envelopes seem might tight. How do most of you open them? Scissors, knife or tear, and risk the static sparks?

Vaughn
15-Oct-2007, 09:17
I keep the envelope...film rubbing on itself by being loose in the box can create static. I lost and damaged a lot of negs this way on a long bicycle trip (high humidity static discharges -- not streaks, but blotches and small spots.)

Vaughn

SamReeves
15-Oct-2007, 09:25
I agree. Keep the film in the envelope. And allow plenty of time once its out of the freezer to open it up.

keith english
15-Oct-2007, 10:54
Thanks for the info. I never thought about the film rubbing issue.

Vaughn
15-Oct-2007, 11:24
Thanks for the info. I never thought about the film rubbing issue.

Well, traveling by bicycle for 5+ months/2000miles in wet weather and many gravel roads is a bit extreme. I should have packed the boxes with paper or cotton balls to keep the film from shaking so much...a lesson hard earned!

vaughn