PDA

View Full Version : Tachi Wood-Field/Grafmatic holder

Bob Sawin
13-Oct-2007, 21:29
Hi all,

I am just getting my feet wet in lf and have purchased a Tachihara Wood-Field 4x5. Can I use a grafmatic holder?

Also, is it possible to use a roll film holder?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Brian Ellis
14-Oct-2007, 11:20
You can use the Calumet roll film holders that slide under the ground glass frame, I used one on my first Tachihara. I believe they come in 6x7, 6x9, and 6x12 sizes, no 6x17. Some people have talked about film flatness problems with these holders but mine worked fine. I'm not aware of any other roll film holders that are designed to slide under the ground glass frame though with all the new roll film holders that seem to be coming out these days maybe there is another. But the ones I know of other than the Calumet all require that the camera have an international back which the Tachihara doesn't have.

I'm not sure about the Grafmatic holder. I've never tried to use one on my Tachiharas. It's my impression that they just slip into the camera under the ground glass frame and if that's the case they should be usable with a Tachihara assuming the frame on your camera will open wide enough to accept the holder. Hopefully someone here will know for sure.

Gene McCluney
14-Oct-2007, 12:56
Grafmatics can be slid under the ground glass like standard cut-film holders, however they are a bit thicker, and some cameras may not have enough "give" in the springs of the ground glass to accept them. You will just have to try. My grafmatics work with all my 4x5 backs.

Bob Sawin
14-Oct-2007, 17:07
Thanks guys...I appreciate the info.

Bob

Dave Henry
15-Oct-2007, 01:24
Bob,

I shoot in the field with a 4x5 Tachihara and Grafmatics do work nicely. Also, I have a 6x7 Graflex roll holder for 4x5 that works nicely as well as a 6x17 Horseman back that slides under the ground glass just fine. The Tachihara spring back has enough tension to hold the backs in place but also allow you the room to insert them.

I put little adhesive felt pads on the 120 backs to keep from scratching the ground glass. Their design is smaller than the wood ground glass frame so would scratch the glass if it came in contact.

I hope this helps.

sog1927
15-Oct-2007, 23:10
Yes, a Grafmatic will work on a Tachi. At least they do on mine.

Steve