PDA

View Full Version : What camera are these 2x3 cut film holders made for?

filmtopixels
13-Oct-2007, 05:19
I got these cut 2x3 cut film holders at an Estate auction and have no clue what camera they were made for. They are new in the original boxes but there are no labels or logos on the boxes or holders that would help identify them. You can view images and read the discussion about these things here (http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=1000572181&tstart=0&mod=1192241441614).

Obviously, the folks reading the eBay photography discussion board are as puzzled as I am. I suspect that I'll have better luck finding the answer from someone who frequents this forum. Chime in if you have any suggestions or comments.

Walter Calahan
13-Oct-2007, 05:44
Pretty. Like new.

Answer: Any camera system that uses 2x3 cut film. Grin.

Greg Lockrey
13-Oct-2007, 06:24
Like a mini Speed Graphic and Linhof Super Technika V to name a couple.

Mark Woods
13-Oct-2007, 07:33
I have the mini speed graphic and have adapted it to 120 film. It's a great camera with a sharp lens. I had it over hauled and the it works well. I use it when I have the urge to shoot, but don't want to drag out the 8x10 Sinar. :-)

MW

Bill_1856
13-Oct-2007, 09:33
Could they be Plate, not film, holders? The flanges makes one think of Graflex (not Graphic), or more likely European press cameras such as a 6x9 Zeiss Maximar. I believe that the 6x6 cut film holders for my old Rolleiflex had that kind of flange.

ic-racer
13-Oct-2007, 09:53
I don't think those holders will fit a standard 2x3 camera. They could be for some specific camera system.

The standard 2x3 holders are really just mini versions of the larger ones. Here is an example.

David A. Goldfarb
13-Oct-2007, 13:18
I don't recognize those holders either. Mine are like ic-racer's or wooden versions of same or 23 Grafmatics.

Glenn Thoreson
13-Oct-2007, 13:40
They look more like plate holders, to me. Can you put up a picture of the end, where the chrome latch is?

Ole Tjugen
13-Oct-2007, 14:12
They look more like pack film holders to me...

David A. Goldfarb
13-Oct-2007, 16:10
I don't think they are made for any normal camera, because they don't have a lock rib. I suspect they may be for some sort of scientific or medical equipment.

filmtopixels
13-Oct-2007, 17:33
I'll have to post some additional pictures when I can. Busy with a Chambourcin harvest.

These holders are not for film packs, although, along with these single shot holders came two film pack holders with the same film size and type of mount. Also, NIB.

There may be enough space inside these single shot holders to accommodate the thickness of a glass plate but I think they were made for film. I'm not so sure that glass plates came in this size.

I'm leaning toward the idea that these were made to attach to a camera that primarily used roll film. One that could cover this format.

Bill_1856
13-Oct-2007, 19:12
I know it's not the same, but have a look at this for something very similar. http://www.butkus.org/chinon/rollei/rolleiflex_acc/rolleiflex_acc-2.htm

Turner Reich
13-Oct-2007, 19:28
Tri-color Curtiss camera

Darryl Baird
14-Oct-2007, 07:52
Depending on the depth of the interior, they might be either film or plate holders. Lots of these were made for folding medium format cameras and (later) roll film back models of Mamiya, Konica, Rollei (as illustrated in previous message form Wilhelm), etc. Here are two versions, the Kodak is for plates and the Mamiya for film. They have a similar design to the back in question. They are not graflok backs, they slip into a channel on the back of the camera or adapter.
(sorry for the quality of these quick crude scans)
http://www.darrylbaird.com/LF/FilmHolder/Holders.jpg

Glenn Thoreson
14-Oct-2007, 12:22
The reason I think they are for plates, is the hold down spring shown in one of the pictures. You can't use a spring like that for film, unless I'm missing something here.

filmtopixels
14-Oct-2007, 14:16
I originally thought that these holders were for the Rolleiflex TLR but they don't have the little lever on the back like shown on the page that Bill posted about. There was a Rolleiflex at the same auction, which I also won the bid on. No adapter back for mounting cut film holders like these though.

As for them being plateholders, I'd admit that there is room for the thickness of a thin piece of glass. Film would work too. The third picture in the series of shots on the eBay thread shows the actual filmholder, which comes out of the back. There is a smooth black metal plate insert shown that holds the film or plate in place in the "frame", sort of like a backer for a print in a photo frame. The springs on the back press against this black metal plate to hold the film or plate holder tightly in place when the back is closed.

Bill_1856
14-Oct-2007, 17:02
If Turner-Reich isn't positive about the Curtis tri-color camera, they might be for the Kodak Medalist cut film back adapter.

Turner Reich
15-Oct-2007, 21:48
The spring is for a kind of a plate, one that is coated with gel and is either red, green or blue and is called a filter.

ic-racer
17-Oct-2007, 19:39
Though, the holders look different than those from the original post. Kind of looks like the Curtis ones are 'color coordiniated.'

ic-racer
17-Oct-2007, 19:44
This one is called the 'Color Scout' and supposedly gets all images at once. The design of this camera looks more like it would take something that would resemble a conventional film holder. I think there were many different Curtis models.

Struan Gray
18-Oct-2007, 00:25
I have seen similar holders for use in electron microscopes. You can use film in the insert, or remove it altogether for plates. The holders are not usually compatible with any camera back like the 6x9 graphics. They do usually provide very good film flatness if you want to use them for a home-build project.

Turner Reich
21-Oct-2007, 00:11
My tricolor holders have a slide as usual and a back slide for the film and are color identified on top. Those are probably for a specialized piece of scientific equipment like medical or lab use.