PDA

View Full Version : The Michael Levin Opening Night at Snaps Gallery in Vancouver

Capocheny
12-Oct-2007, 01:20
Greetings

Just a note to congratulate Micahel Levin on the opening of his show this evening at Snaps Gallery at 190 West 3rd Avenue here in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

If you have the opportunity of stopping by to look at the show... it's well worth the time and energy!

Gorgeous images from Iceland...

Judging from your images, Michael... it certainly looks like a very successful shooting trip.

Again, CONGRATULATIONSl! :)

Cheers

PS: Here's Michael Levin's website with many stunning photograph!

http://www.michaellevin.ca/

Greg Lockrey
12-Oct-2007, 02:12
Thanks for the heads up. Lovely images on his site.

jetcode
12-Oct-2007, 07:38
inspirational work - gorgeous portfolio - quality representation - this is the kind of work I truly appreciate - thanks for the post

vinny
12-Oct-2007, 09:07
I had the opportunity to see some of his work here in L.A. a year or so ago. I was stunned by the quality. He shoots 8x10, mostly with one lens and prints with lightjet.

jetcode
12-Oct-2007, 09:20
I had the opportunity to see some of his work here in L.A. a year or so ago. I was stunned by the quality. He shoots 8x10, mostly with one lens and prints with lightjet.

I want to know how Michael gets white water. The contrast and tone are excellant and the subject matter is incredibly well orchestrated; i.e. simple, to the point, wonderful graphic imagery.

I could view images in this style all day long.

I want to create at this level with my own select themes. I recently purchased a 4x10 and took it out last weekend. What a delight. Photography is an awesome sport.

Dave Aharonian
12-Oct-2007, 10:10
I purchased my Canham MQC 5x7 from Michael almost a year ago. He told me he was selling it to go the 8x10 route. He showed me a couple of his prints and they are some of the most stunning prints I've ever seen. I hope to check out his show when I'm in Vancouver.

jetcode
12-Oct-2007, 11:28
I purchased my Canham MQC 5x7 from Michael almost a year ago. He told me he was selling it to go the 8x10 route. He showed me a couple of his prints and they are some of the most stunning prints I've ever seen. I hope to check out his show when I'm in Vancouver.

Dave is Michael printing with silver or ink?

Dave Aharonian
12-Oct-2007, 14:10
I can't say for sure, but I believe vinny had it right - I think the prints I saw were Lightjet prints. I know they weren't silver. When I saw them I felt a bit better about my recent decision to go to digital printing. Its not the same as silver, but it has its own very unique beauty, and his prints were a fine example.

Michael Gordon
12-Oct-2007, 14:27
I can't say for sure, but I believe vinny had it right - I think the prints I saw were Lightjet prints. I know they weren't silver.

Assuming they're made on Fuji Crystal Archive (which most Lightjet's are), they ARE silver halide prints. Same with Kodak Endura (which is what A&I in Los Angeles uses).

jetcode
12-Oct-2007, 17:33
I can't say for sure, but I believe vinny had it right - I think the prints I saw were Lightjet prints. I know they weren't silver. When I saw them I felt a bit better about my recent decision to go to digital printing. Its not the same as silver, but it has its own very unique beauty, and his prints were a fine example.

I print ink and find it very acceptable. I have the Septone inkset for a Epson 2200. The only problem is it's limited to 13" wide. I have another 2200 for color.

jetcode
12-Oct-2007, 17:35
Assuming they're made on Fuji Crystal Archive (which most Lightjet's are), they ARE silver halide prints. Same with Kodak Endura (which is what A&I in Los Angeles uses).

I suspect the lightjet is a color printer and these are B/W images. Do lightjet prints experience the metamerism problem that inkjets experience?

Michael Gordon
12-Oct-2007, 18:06
Do lightjet prints experience the metamerism problem that inkjets experience?

Yup.