PDA

View Full Version : Rangefinders and the 4x5 Technika

ljsegil
7-Oct-2007, 15:09
I recently purchased a Master Technika with the rangefinder removed by the original owner. He gave me all the pieces, and I have a preliminary quote from Marflex for $400 to reinstall the finder. Of course the previous owner had no cams, so I would have to get whatever cams I choose from Marflex at $250 a pop. My question to the Technika users of the forum is, just how useful is it to be able to shoot handheld, is it something you do with any frequency and in what sort of circumstances, or do you use the rangefinder at all to assist you in focusing off a tripod? Are there other ways that the rangefinder is useful to you? Would many of you miss your rangefinder were it to suddenly vanish? If you find the rangefinder very useful, for what sort of focal length lenses is it most valuable, and why? I have some thoughts of my own (usually a very dangerous thing), but I very much want to hear the opinions of more experienced Technika shooters before I do anything too stupid (as I usually do).
Thanks for your collective wisdom,
LJS

Frank Petronio
7-Oct-2007, 15:18
I use the Technika because it has a good rangefinder, most of my work is done with it wide open, handheld. But I shoot a lot of people, without using movements. I think camming a "normal" lens would be my first choice. With a longer lens you would probably want to use a tripod and critically focus on the ground glass.

I've watched the Linhof technician calibrate the RF. It is as accurate as the ground glass or better even.

David A. Goldfarb
7-Oct-2007, 16:41
I use the rangefinder quite often, and if it were not for the rangefinder, I'd probably use a different camera for the field. For travel, I like the option of switching between handheld press-style and view-camera style with movements using the same camera, lenses, film, and format. I have a Tech V 4x5" and Tech V 23b.

One use is press-camera style handheld shooting or with a tripod and a moving subject, but it's also very handy for portraits on the tripod, because you can check focus with a filmholder in the camera, ready to shoot. I've also occasionally used it in low light with a wide lens, when the groundglass can be hard to read.

I have six cammed lenses from 75-360mm, and I've used them all with the rangefinder, but I probably use the 150/4.5 Xenar and 135/3.5 Planar the most with the rangefinder. It's good to have at least one fast lens that performs well wide open for handheld shooting.

Why not just see what lenses you like best for a while, and have them cammed once you're sure what the keepers are and which lenses correspond best to your own vision? My 4x5" Tech came with 4 cammed lenses, and I added the 75mm and 360mm later. My 2x3" Tech came with no cammed lenses, so I experimented for several months and settled on the 55/4.5 Apo-Grandagon, 105/2.8 Xenotar, and 180/5.6 Caltar II-N (same as a Sironar-N). I should be getting it back from Marflex any day now. I also have a 65/8 Super-Angulon that I use on the 2x3", but decided not to have it cammed, since I'm less likely to use a slower lens with the rangefinder.

Ed Richards
7-Oct-2007, 17:45
I also find the rangefinder useful. While I would start with a normal, or slightly wide (150 or 135), I have a lot of fun doing crowd shots with my 90. I am not sure that fast lenses are that important - that is what God made strobes for.:-)

Brian Ellis
7-Oct-2007, 19:52
I've owned two Technikas, a Tech V and a Master. I never used the rangefinder on either though I did buy a cam on ebay and set the infinity position myself, then tested just to see if the rangefinder on the Master worked (it did, at least in my limited tests). But I don't know how helpful my experience or anyone else's is for you. The usefulness of the rangefinder depends on the type of work you do. I mostly photograph landscapes and architecture. In both I often use movements, which renders the rangefinder unusble. And even if I don't use movements I still prefer focusing with the ground glass and a loupe. But for someone who does more spontaneous types of photography for which ground glass focusing isn't feasible, and/or who makes a lot of photographs without using movements, it certainly could be useful. I think it just depends on the type of work you do. As for the lens, I'd just get a cam for the lens I used most often (which in my case is a 210mm lens).

ljsegil
8-Oct-2007, 06:08
For those of you who do shoot handheld with the Technika, do you find the anatomic grip useful, or perhaps an expensive frill?

I'm thinking that camming a 110mm f5.6 SS XL might provide relatively easier and more forgiving framing, focusing, DOF, faster shutter speeds, and tolerance of my tremor than a longer lens. On the other hand, for portrait type use, perhaps my Fuji A 240mm might be a more appropriate choice. But, is that too long a lens to handle without a tripod, particularly without the steadiest of hands, and with a max aperture of f9.0? Would a 150mm lens be the best compromise, although the lens I currently have is also f9 (the 150mm Claron-g)? Of course, the best answer would be for me to shoot more and get a better idea what focal lengths work for me, but I am by nature somewhat impatient and would also like to take advantage of the Chicago winter to get the work done on the camera, should I decide to go ahead with this plan. Besides, I think the people on this forum have greater collective knowledge and wisdom than I will ever acquire on my own.
Thanks,
LJS

Frank Petronio
8-Oct-2007, 06:40
The slow f/9 lenses will really kill your chances of doing anything spontaneous without blasting strobes. The 110 would be great to cam though. Personally I think a 110 and 180 or 210 would make a nice combination. The older Xenars have a nice look as well, and they can be a stop faster. Also the older lenses can have rounder apertures, making nicer bokeh, but that is another subject.

I use a Prontor Press shutter and Grafmatics, so I can actually shoot multiple sheets without removing my eye from the finder or shifting my position too much inbetween shots. The downside of the Prontor is the maximum shutter speed is only 1/125.

Frankly I shoot wide open whenever I can, esepcially in backlit situations, because I want the round aperture for round bokeh. The freaking modern lenses with their cheap five-bladed apertues produce ugly hexagonal out of focus areas when stopped down.

When I get a focusing error, it is not from the rangefinder being inaccurate but from my technique being bad. I need to remember to focus on something level, in front of the camera. It is easy to shift a few inches as you cock the shutter, insert the holder, etc. so that is why I have chosen equipment to minimize that. But of course the absolute right thing to be doing is to focus right up the the moment of exposure...

The grip is critical, at least if you make more than one exposure. It is a heavy camera and I think the grip is one of the nicest photo gadgets ever. Note that the attachment bracket and dovetails are different as the camera evolved from the IV to the Master (I think).

The multifocus viewfinder is also very nice but I don't think it does anything any better than the much less expensive wireframe finder when used properly. Both allow quite a lot of extra room for error.

Bob Salomon
8-Oct-2007, 06:46
Frank,

"The multifocus viewfinder is also very nice but I don't think it does anything any better than the much less expensive wireframe finder when used properly. Both allow quite a lot of extra room for error."

Which multifocus were you using? The current one zooms from 75 to 360mm, the frame rotates for horizontal and vertical and the frame is corrected for parralax error and frame size.

The wire frame finders do none of this.

Frank Petronio
8-Oct-2007, 07:04
Point taken... Honestly I've learned the turn the camera 90 degrees for verticals, it is faster and I am smoother inserting the holders with the back orientaed horizontally to the camera. It does take a little more arm strenght though.

I have a 70s era MF finder that has the modern specs. I tried a Tech IV finder and it wasn't nearly as nice, so no argument there.

HeinrichVoelkel
8-Oct-2007, 07:11
I use the Technika because it has a good rangefinder, most of my work is done with it wide open, handheld. But I shoot a lot of people, without using movements.

Frank, may I ask, what lens are you using, because usually the LF lenses are not made for wide open shooting and your pics look great...by the way

Bill_1856
8-Oct-2007, 07:12
[QUOTE=ljsegil;280495]For those of you who do shoot handheld with the Technika, do you find the anatomic grip useful, or perhaps an expensive frill?

Expensive frill. Holding the camera by the anatomic grip so far out to the side makes it more subject to shake (and tiring for my left arm), so I removed the anatomic grip hardware and replaced it with Linhof's plain leather strap (ala Speed Graphic).

David A. Goldfarb
8-Oct-2007, 07:45
I like the grip. I have some weakness in my left wrist due to a fracture some years ago, but with a neck strap so that I don't have to support the camera with my hand while I'm not actually making a photograph, I can carry the camera around all day. You can angle it so that your wrist is straight while the camera is level. With my right hand palm up under the camera bed and finger in contact with the focus knob, I find it balanced, and it's steady to use with the thumb release. It does add bulk to the camera.

Frank Petronio
8-Oct-2007, 08:23
I just use a 150 Symar-S (Linhof select though!) and it is great. I know it isn't optimized for f/5.6 but don't tell anyone and I'll just fake it.

I actually prefer the sharpness of a modern lens combined with the short depth of field. I tried a Verito and some other older "portrait" lenses and thought they were too mushy and flat for my lighting and taste.

jetcode
8-Oct-2007, 08:26
I use the Technika because it has a good rangefinder, most of my work is done with it wide open, handheld. But I shoot a lot of people, without using movements. I think camming a "normal" lens would be my first choice. With a longer lens you would probably want to use a tripod and critically focus on the ground glass.

I've watched the Linhof technician calibrate the RF. It is as accurate as the ground glass or better even.

Frank, how do you focus using your rangefinder handheld?

Frank Petronio
8-Oct-2007, 08:34
Like a Leica? I put my eye to the rangefinder and turn the knob...

I just try to keep the camera steady and in the same plane/distance from the subject as I futz around with it.

HeinrichVoelkel
8-Oct-2007, 08:51
I just use a 150 Symar-S (Linhof select though!) and it is great. I know it isn't optimized for f/5.6 but don't tell anyone and I'll just fake it.

I actually prefer the sharpness of a modern lens combined with the short depth of field. I tried a Verito and some other older "portrait" lenses and thought they were too mushy and flat for my lighting and taste.

Dont be afraid, I want tell anybody....I was just wondering, maybe you discovered some new secret lens...

Regards
Heinrich