PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI - very stiff

Steve Gledhill
7-Oct-2007, 09:45
My first post here and seeking a little help please. I'm based in the UK, work almost exclusively in B&W on landscapes and recently on cathedrals and churches.

I've been using my Zone VI for some 13 years totally trouble free - until recently when the rear standard has become very stiff to adjust with the knob. Specifically it's when I need to rack in the back to use my 90mm and to rack it back out again. I've taken it apart and cleaned the runners but it's still very stiff. There's no obvious swelling or distortion of the wood but something must have changed! I know I can sand down the runners but I'm reluctant to do so before finding out whether there's a better way - lubrication for example. The front standard adjusts fine as does the back for a long lens.

Any advice or suggestions that will help me and my arthritic hands would be very welcome. Thanks.

Steve Gledhill
http://www.virtuallygrey.co.uk/

Kevin Crisp
7-Oct-2007, 16:23
Try some paste wax on the places where wood slides on wood. Let it dry to a haze then polish it all off. That should help. If that doesn't do it, try putting a dessicant in the camera bag for a few days. When this happened to me, I would put the camera in a plastic bag with a little reusable dessicant can up by the handle. The camera stops binding soon after. Good luck.

Jim Grimes
7-Oct-2007, 17:44
Hopefully, Richard Ritter will see this post and be able to help you with the problem.

Turner Reich
7-Oct-2007, 19:22
I know how you feel, I have a brand new Shen Hao and it takes a lot of effort to extent the rack. I think it might ease with use but in reality is it like the old leather shoes which needed to be broken in? I don't think so. I have a camera I made out of cherry and it still focuses with ease. I haven't tried any wax yet. And yes I have the lock knob backed off.

Vaughn
7-Oct-2007, 20:51
My Zone VI acts strangely like that when I run it off the gearing and don't get it lined up correctly..but you probebly would have noticed that.

Good luck with it!

Vaughn

RichardRitter
8-Oct-2007, 04:11
Don't sand the runners. As you stated the runners worked fine. Have you dropped or hit the camera against any thing. Try loosing the 6 screws that hold the plate down between the rails. Also try the screws along the side. When the rack is out does the focusing knob turn freely.

Steve Gledhill
8-Oct-2007, 11:14
Don't sand the runners. As you stated the runners worked fine. Have you dropped or hit the camera against any thing. Try loosing the 6 screws that hold the plate down between the rails. Also try the screws along the side. When the rack is out does the focusing knob turn freely.

Thanks everyone responding with ideas, and specifically to Richard. I didn't think I'd dropped or otherwise knocked the camera in any way. So I took off the plates etc, as suggetsed - which I didn't do when cleaning it the last time - which gave me better access to the runners and after further careful examination with a loupe I discovered a minute spec of grit embedded in the least accessible place. Once found it was esily removed. And once seen, it was obvious there was a groove that it had worn in the corresponding piece that slid over it. You know - I should have found that myself without asking! :o

I wish I'd found that before I went out today with the Zone VI and 90mm and aggravated my arthritis in my hands. Still I came back with what promise to be some good images from a church with 8th century roots and a 14th century dovecote.

Steve Gledhill
http://www.virtuallygrey.co.uk/

Turner Reich
8-Oct-2007, 18:57
When the rack is out does the focusing knob turn freely.

As the Mythbusters say, "well there's the problem". I haven't check, but I will, thanks.