PDA

View Full Version : Help removing GG grid lines

G Benaim
6-Oct-2007, 12:52
Hi all,

I want to get rid of my gg grid lines, thought of using acetone as a start. Any reason I shouldn't? Thanks,

GB

lenser
6-Oct-2007, 13:19
Depends on what you are shooting. Grids are a huge asset if you're shooting architecture and handy for landscapes if you want to use them for horizon and composition reference points. Since we all view the image upside down on large format, the grids can make it easier to relate the subject to the background while composing as well.

You might want to consider the alternative of buying a plain ground glass and reserving the gridded one for future use. Then if you prefer the plain, sell the grid.

Tim

Dave Parker
6-Oct-2007, 13:45
He has a plain on its way for his 8x10 in the very near future.

But there is no reason not to use acetone on the grids, most grids are screen printed on screens, the acetone will not affect the ground surface of the glass, you need to wipe it down, then clean with a good strong grease cutting liquid soap and good hot water, I use dawn dish washing soap and a scotch brite pad to clean all of my screens before they are shipped.

But again, glass is pretty well inert to acetone and it should just remove the grid lines, that is unless they were etched into the ground side of the glass, in that instance, the only way to remove them, is to re-grind the screen. One other thing to think about, if the grid was applied then baked onto the surface of the screen, it may take more than just wiping the screen down to remove, you may have to soak it for a few minutes submerged in your solvent to penetrate the surface of the paint used to put the grid on the screen, but you will still be fine, as the acetone will not harm the screen, that is if it is glass, do not use acetone on a plexi or any other type of plastic screen and do not use scotch brite on any of the plastic screens either.

Dave Parker
Satin Snow Ground Glass.

G Benaim
6-Oct-2007, 23:54
Thanks all, it worked well. There are still marks on the glass, bright lines, where thye grid lines were. Is there a good way of eliminating those, short of re-grinding? Thanks,

GB

Dave, good to hear things are coming along.

Dave Parker
7-Oct-2007, 00:19
Thanks all, it worked well. There are still marks on the glass, bright lines, where thye grid lines were. Is there a good way of eliminating those, short of re-grinding? Thanks,

GB

Dave, good to hear things are coming along.

GB,

Do you guys have a product called scotch brite available in your country? if so, use grease cutting soap and a scotch brite with hot water and scrub firmly several times, just be care not to put pressure in the center of the glass, while scrubbing on the ends or just the opposite, you could break the screen, but do this a few times and you should be able to even things out a bit.

Dave

G Benaim
7-Oct-2007, 07:40
Hi Dave,

I tried that, but no change. It's still better than the black lines I started with.

GB

Dave Parker
7-Oct-2007, 08:39
GB,

What has probably happened was it was a baked on paint and not knowing how old it was, it could allowed the oils in the paint to stain or etch the actual surface of the glass changing the density in the areas it was in contact with the glass over a long period of time, is this the screen from your C-1? If so, I would imagine the screen was at least 20-30 years old and depending on which paint they used back then, there could have been a mild acid in the paint that actually etched the glass under the grid lines.

Dave

G Benaim
7-Oct-2007, 08:44
Dave,

Yes, it looks like the original one the c-1 came with. I meant to ask before, do you need me to measure it, or do you have the dimensions on file?

GB

Dave Parker
7-Oct-2007, 08:58
GB,

I have the measurement on file for that camera, I do quite a few of them.

Dave