PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sinar Sinaron Lenses

davidb
6-Oct-2007, 00:19
Does the Sinar Sinaron S 150mm 5.6 come with a red band around it like the Rodenstock APO Sironar S lenses?

Also, the 90mm 4.5 W is made by who?

Phil Hudson
6-Oct-2007, 00:37
I think the Sinaron-S is a rebranded Rodenstock Apo-Sironar N (equivalent of the white stripe model).

The Sinaron-WS is equivalent to the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar S and does have the red stripe around it like the Rodenstock (at least mine did).

The Sinaron-W 90/4.5 is a rebranded Rodenstock Grandagon-N lens. I have seen these both with and without the green stripe, depending on age.

Phil

Paul O
6-Oct-2007, 01:04
Phil is correct - the Sinaron S lenses have the white stripe.

PViapiano
6-Oct-2007, 01:13
I have a 150mm 5.6 Sinaron S without a white stripe.

pierre salomon
6-Oct-2007, 01:22
Not all Sinaron S lenses seem to have the white band, my 240 on DB (ser # 11281xxx) does while my 300 on DBM (ser#10800xxx) does not. Bob Salomon might provide a better answer since the lenses are made by Rodenstock.
Pierre

Phil Hudson
6-Oct-2007, 01:28
Come to think of it, not all the Sinaron-WS (Apo-Sironar S) lenses I have ever seen have the red band either.......I presume the later ones have the stripes and the earlier ones don't.

Similarly, the later Caltar-II N (Rodenstock Grandagon-N) wide angles have the green stripe and the earlier ones do not.

Kerry L. Thalmann
6-Oct-2007, 02:30
The Sinaron-WS is equivalent to the Rodenstock Apo-Sironar S and does have the red stripe around it like the Rodenstock (at least mine did).

This is incorrect. The Sinaron WS series is equivalent to the Rodenstock APO Sironar-W (80 degrees of coverage). If they have a stripe, it will be yellow.

It is the Sinaron SE series that is equivalent to the APO Sironar-S (75 degrees of coverage) line and have the red stripe

Kerry

Kerry L. Thalmann
6-Oct-2007, 02:39
Not all Sinaron S lenses seem to have the white band, my 240 on DB (ser # 11281xxx) does while my 300 on DBM (ser#10800xxx) does not. Bob Salomon might provide a better answer since the lenses are made by Rodenstock.
Pierre

Rodenstock didn't start adding the stripes to their lenses until late 1992 when the APO Sironar-S series was introduced. At that time (or slightly after) they changed the name of the Sironar-N line to APO Sironar-N and added the silver stripe and changed the name of the APO Sironar to APO Sironar-W and added the yellow stripe. The lenses they made for Sinar after this time also carry the corresponding colored stripes.

Even though the naming seems confusing, the nice thing about the Sinaron models is that whether or not they gave stripes, they have the angle of coverage printed right on the lens. So, its easy to see what you're getting, even if it's an older lens that laks the colored stripes.

In summary:

Sinaron-S = (APO) Sironar-N = 72 degrees of coverage.

Sinaron SE = APO Sironar-S = 75 degrees of coverage.

Sinaron WS = APO Sironar(-W) = 80 degrees of coverage.

Kerry

Phil Hudson
6-Oct-2007, 02:51
OOPS!

Yes - Kerry is right. Brain not in gear, sorry.

The stripe thing seems to have to do with age of the lens though.

davidb
6-Oct-2007, 08:19
thanks everyone.