PDA

View Full Version : Tripod leg cords?

Andrew_4548
5-Oct-2007, 16:31
This is a repost from the View Camera thread as that's been swallowed up by the pro/ante VC magazine arguments...

In the current VC issue, on the conference pictures page, there's a picture of someone (it's the one captioned as Bruce Barlow / Richard Ritter) demonstrating a technique on a camera. I'm after some info on the cord on the tripod legs - is it a standard accessory for the tripod (Ries or other?) or something cobbled together from camping store bits?

Here's a quick scan of the picture:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/Apple/LF%20stuff/tripod.jpg

I've recently got hold of a Berlebach tripod and they supply a metal chain to fasten on to the legs - the cord seems more elegant / easier / lighter and quicker to adjust and it doesn't make you sound like the Marley's Ghost from Scrooge when you walk ;-)

I can get hold of some cord if needed but am having a bit of trouble finding the adjuster block. I've exhausted my ideas typing a decent term into the web to describe the block to find a supplier - it's not the same as a tent guy rope adjuster as it takes both cords. It looks like something you'd use to keep your 10-gallon hat on but a bit more solid - any ideas? "Cordlocks" aren't strong enough as I've tried them :(

I've been looking at the Nite-Ize Figure 9 tensioner but if there's anything official out there, I'd be grateful for some info.

Thanks,

Andrew
In the UK - so not easy / cheap to get hold of Ries stuff if it is theirs...

Keith Fleming
5-Oct-2007, 21:28
It's a Zone VI Standard Tripod, and later production models (including the Lightweight Tiripod) came with the cords. The nylon cord passes through stainless steel eyelets screwed to the legs. The plastic "keeper" allows adjustment of the spread of the legs. I have heard (and it may be just a rumor) that Fred Picker of Zone VI added the cords to production models after being sued by someone whose tripod legs slipped on a smooth surface and destroyed a camera. Unlike some other wooden tripods which are reversible between metal points and rubber pads, the Zone VI ones have only metal points at the bottom of the legs.

I have a Zone VI Lightweight tripod, and I'm not convinced of the value or necessity of the string. It does provide, however, a convenient place to drape the dark cloth.

The necessary parts may be available from Zone VI, but I suspect you can find equivalent parts in a shop that caters to owners of sailboats. Depending upon what size cord is used, you may be able to control the size of the loop with one of the spring-loaded keepers that often are used on the hoods of parkas and rain jackets.

Keith Fleming

Louie Powell
6-Oct-2007, 04:47
The "someone" referred to in the original post is Richard Ritter. Based on his association with Zone VI, and the fact that he is the ultimate wooden camera craftsman, he can help you identify the parts.

cowanw
6-Oct-2007, 06:34
Those are found on sleeping bag stuff sacs.
Check a camping store.
Regards
Bill

Andrew_4548
6-Oct-2007, 07:54
Many thanks for your answers - at least I have a contact for the "official" gear if my plans don't work out with the nite-ize kit.

Looking round for Zone VI info, I dropped on an old photo.net thread that mentioned Harken Micro Cam Cleats as used on sailing boats. These look promising and cheap if I can find a UK supplier.

Keith, I tried the parka hood type keepers - these are the cordlocks I mentioned and unfortunately they aren't suitable - the clamping isn't enough to hold the loads involved with the tripod so the cords pull through. :(

Louie, thanks for putting a name to a face. Being out in the sticks over here means we don't get to see many of the LF "names" we read about.

Andrew

John Bowen
6-Oct-2007, 08:15
Richard Ritter is teaching a Fall Foliage workshop this weekend in the great northern boonies of Pittsburg, New Hampshire. He likely won't have internet access unit Monday. He may reply to this thread then.

John Kasaian
6-Oct-2007, 10:04
FWIW any good old fashioned hardware store (if they have mechandise hanging from the ceiling take that as a good sign) should have an assortment of cam locking devices for webbing & cordage.

Paul Fitzgerald
6-Oct-2007, 11:05
Andrew,

I agree with Keith:

"I have a Zone VI Lightweight tripod, and I'm not convinced of the value or necessity of the string. It does provide, however, a convenient place to drape the dark cloth."

Out and about the tripod tips grab into the dirt, on hard surfaces a tripod 'spider' works better. A 'spider' is just 3 strips of 1/2" plywood. 2" wide x 2' long, pinned in the center with rebates at the ends for the leg tips to sit into. Cheap, easily made, works great, folds up and fits into the tripod bag, weighs nothing. No more scratched floors.

Just a thought.

John Bowen
6-Oct-2007, 12:48
Paul and Andrew make a good point. 99% of the time my cord is used to hang my focusing cloth, but when I find myself in a creek bed with the tripod on a wet, slippery surface I pull the cord tight to keep the logs from slipping/spreading and having the tripod, camera and lens go for a swim.

Andrew_4548
6-Oct-2007, 16:05
I'm new to the wooden tripod setup (used plenty of Manfrotto stuff in the past and never could justify the extortionate prices for 'certain' carbon fibre models...)

A couple of years ago I went on a weekend away and tried taking some fungus with 4x5 so obviously, things were near to the ground. I just managed it with the Manfrotto but the centre colulm restricted me getting really low. I got the Berlebach with the levelling head and no column for the times when I might want to repeat the shot type and I'm going back to the same place in a couple of weeks...

The Berlebach has the locking legs for 20° and 45° but it becomes a bit like Bambi when you go really low so I was trying to get a system sorted before I went again. I might find that I can ram the feet into the mud and it'll hold but I guess I'm trying to cover the options...

John Powers
7-Oct-2007, 04:00
Instead of sailor hardware a simple sailor knot would allow adjustment and eliminate yet another small part to break or disappear.

John

Jim Grimes
7-Oct-2007, 17:39
I just picked up several of the "footloops" from Richard Ritter yesterday at the workshop. I already had 10' of 1/4" nylon cord. I was going to put thje setup on my Ries, but in reevaluating the tripod construction, it really isn't necessary. The Ries had a reliable locking mechanism at the top that will keep the legs from splaying. It is a great idea though for any tripod in which there is a chance of the legs moving from under the camera.

James

Turner Reich
7-Oct-2007, 19:26
I bought a Berlebach and it has the metal loops on each leg for a cord or chain but none came with it. The Berlebach has the anti-splaying head mechanics too so I don't need the cord connection. It could be used to put a bag on I guess. I can see why the older tripods had such a thing. The legs were attached by a simple hinge and nothing to keep them from spreading out.

Bruce Barlow
8-Oct-2007, 06:17
Years ago I photographed with Anthony Guidice of Fine Art Photo Supply, who had just written a newsletter bashing the tripod cord. Then he saw mw use it to stabilize my tripod legs on perilous rocks, and hang my darkcloth so it wouldn't become a sail. "Wow!" He said, "That's fantastic!" He was then sternly lectured about being an armchair photographer who wrote nonsense without first trying it.

Yup, it's mostly a clothesline for my darkcloth, but I'd hate to guess how many times it's saved my camera in a stiff breeze.

Check EMS for cord locks. The cord's cheap and easy to apply, and is wholly wonderful. Almost as good as the carpenter's apron...