PDA

View Full Version : Cheap way to visit Hunt's Mesa?

Ron Marshall
4-Oct-2007, 10:32
Four of us plan to hike up to Hunt's Mesa and camp overnight, supplying all of our own gear and food.

Has anyone done something similar and what has it cost them for a guide?

I have seen advertisements for overnight jeep tours to Hunt's Mesa, including food and camping gear, but these are in the vicinity of $350 per person per night. I'm happy to pay for a guide but would rather rough it and save a hundred or so.

Alan Rabe
5-Oct-2007, 08:29
Since no one is chiming in I will. Hunts Mesa is on Navajo land and is in effect private property. The Navajo don't take kindly to people trespassing and as such you may find yourself in a bit of trouble if caught. Used to be at one time you could get away with such a manuver. Even access to Antelope canyon was open. But not anymore, they know the value and want money. But best of luck.

QT Luong
5-Oct-2007, 09:19
The OP was specifically referring to a guide. My understanding is that they do give you the choice of hiking up or 4WD, but the hiking option could only be described as "less expensive" rather than cheap. There is some scrambling that could be challenging with overnight + LF gear. For details, you could ask Norman Koren. Looking at his website, it appears he used Tom Phillips (http://www.monumentvalley.com/) who is also praised by Hitchman of Photograph America.

Ron Marshall
5-Oct-2007, 15:23
The OP was specifically referring to a guide. My understanding is that they do give you the choice of hiking up or 4WD, but the hiking option could only be described as "less expensive" rather than cheap. There is some scrambling that could be challenging with overnight + LF gear. For details, you could ask Norman Koren. Looking at his website, it appears he used Tom Phillips (http://www.monumentvalley.com/) who is also praised by Hitchman of Photograph America.

Thanks QT, I will contact Tom Phillips. His website was where I found the overnight all inclusive jeep tour for $350 pp, which is not too unreasonable; perhaps he offers a hiking option more in my range.