PDA

View Full Version : 240 F5.6 SIRONAR-N MC Feedback

Shailendra
3-Oct-2007, 15:29
Can anyone provide any feedback in using the Sironar N 240mm on their 8x10 camera?

I've got the specs on it from the lens spec page (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF8x10in.html) but would like some personal feedback. Thanks...

Shailendra

Walter Calahan
3-Oct-2007, 15:56
I can't speak about the Sinornar, but I love the 240mm focal length on my 8x10, especially for full length portraiture. My lens is of another manufacturer who stopped making LF lenses a couple of years ago.

Jon Shiu
3-Oct-2007, 16:22
I have used it for landscape photography on a Calumet C1 (and for 4x5) and it is a sharp lens. I mainly use it at f22.

Jon

JJ Viau
4-Oct-2007, 12:05
Hello there,

I loved the 240N as a portrait lens on 4x5 and I actually shot 8x10 with it too. The picture quality is fantastic but it does not allow you but very little movement on 8x10. I would even say, too little even for landscape. I sold the lens for that reason. I tend to use a lot of movement I guess, since I fince the 300N also a little bit scarce in coverage in 8x10. I ´m happy with a 300s and use a 210s when I need more angle, but then I know that I have to shoot absolutely straight.

JJ

Shailendra
4-Oct-2007, 12:22
Hi JJ,

I'm surprised that this lens does not have adequate coverage for 8x10. From the spec sheet below, it should be enough, no?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses/LF8x10in.html

Bob Salomon
4-Oct-2007, 13:00
Hello there,

I loved the 240N as a portrait lens on 4x5 and I actually shot 8x10 with it too. The picture quality is fantastic but it does not allow you but very little movement on 8x10. I would even say, too little even for landscape. I sold the lens for that reason. I tend to use a lot of movement I guess, since I fince the 300N also a little bit scarce in coverage in 8x10. I īm happy with a 300s and use a 210s when I need more angle, but then I know that I have to shoot absolutely straight.

JJ

The 240N had 28mm of shift and 23mm of rise at infinity at f22 on 810.

MIke Sherck
4-Oct-2007, 13:20
I used one for a while, in it's Caltar IIN label (same lens.) I liked it quite a bit -- I don't understand JJ's comment about lack of movements: I had plenty for landscape and such. I never tried to tie the bellows into a knot but I was using it on a B&J monorail, so the camera had the opportunity for plenty of movements.

I thought that the lens was sharp and contrasty: I liked it quite a bit. In fact, I regret selling it and when I have some money I'll buy one (I'm getting a 19" first, though.)

Mike

Oren Grad
4-Oct-2007, 14:00
I had the opportunity to test the 240 Apo-Sironar-N (same lens). It's a very fine lens, with excellent performance in the plane of focus and generally pleasing OOF character. But for my taste the coverage is a bit tight for 8x10 - I tend to want to use a fair amount of front rise with a wide lens on such a square format, and I often found myself running out of coverage with the N.

I ended up buying the 240 Apo-Sironar-S instead. The only real drawback of the S is that it's much more expensive, and not often seen used. If you can afford the S I'd recommend it over the N for use on 8x10. If you can't, the N is a very nice lens too, and is certainly usable on 8x10; just be aware of the coverage limitations.

Shailendra
4-Oct-2007, 14:28
I had the opportunity to test the 240 Apo-Sironar-N (same lens). It's a very fine lens, with excellent performance in the plane of focus and generally pleasing OOF character. But for my taste the coverage is a bit tight for 8x10 - I tend to want to use a fair amount of front rise with a wide lens on such a square format, and I often found myself running out of coverage with the N.

I ended up buying the 240 Apo-Sironar-S instead. The only real drawback of the S is that it's much more expensive, and not often seen used. If you can afford the S I'd recommend it over the N for use on 8x10. If you can't, the N is a very nice lens too, and is certainly usable on 8x10; just be aware of the coverage limitations.

Is there a reasonably priced 240mm lens that you would recommend that would provide better movent?

JJ Viau
5-Oct-2007, 01:00
As Oren said, the lens is fine but too limited for my style of using a view camera. As for the 240 length on 8x10, it is as limited (or not accroding to tastes, habits, etc..) as 135mm on 4x5". As far as modern lenses are concerned, I would only consider the 240S. For vintage lenses I have to pass but there seem to be older mono coated Fuji or Kodak 250mm that would fit the bill.

JJ

Sal Santamaura
5-Oct-2007, 10:24
...the coverage is a bit tight for 8x10...But not for 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. :)

Jim Rice
5-Oct-2007, 10:53
I seem to get pretty good coverage on 8x10" with a 240 G-Claron. I haven't measured it or anything but I haven't run out of image circle yet. Much smaller and lighter, too.

Oren Grad
5-Oct-2007, 11:17
But not for 6 1/2 x 8 1/2. :)

The 240 N is an excellent normal for whole plate. ;)

Coverage of the 240 G-Claron should be reasonable, but only if you stop way down to f/45 or f/64. At f/22 it won't even approach the Rodenstock N, let alone the S. Probably the same is true of some 9 1/2" Dagors.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
5-Oct-2007, 14:37
I have a Calumet version of the Sironar-N and like the others above have found it to be a wonderful lens albeit with limited movements on 8x10. I have also used an older 9 1/2" Dagor, as well as the 240 G-Claron. In terms of image quality (resolution, contrast, neutral bokeh), the Sironar-N is the clear winner. For coverage, the Dagor wins; my sample almost covers 11x14 but it is not very sharp. The G-Claron is a compromise, good resolution (sharper than my Dagor but not as sharp as the Sironar-N), good coverage (less than the Dagor but much more than the Sironar-N), but I can't stand its out-of-focus rendering. You can also look for a 10" WF Ektar (big!) or a 250mm f6.7 Fujinon-W, but I am holding out for a used 240mm Sironar-S. Anybody have one for sale?