PDA

View Full Version : bicycle camera and gear

Skip Abadie
2-Oct-2007, 19:54
Hey. I haven't posted in quite a while, but I've finally got some free time again and my darkroom will soon be back in service, so I'm looking to dust off my gear and get back in the field. I normally shoot 8x10, but I've recently taken up bicycle riding and I'd like to put together a 4x5 kit to take with me on bicycle trips. My Deardorff is too big for cycling.

I have the lenses covered already. I already have a couple of 4x5 cameras, but they aren't suitable for bicycle touring. One is a Toyo 45CX, and the other is a Cambo Legend. Both are monorails, and neither is compact. The Cambo is quite heavy. I have a Speed Graphic too, and I'd be tempted to just take it along with me, but it needs some TLC and maybe springs on the back to put it in good working order.

The qualities that are important for a bicycle camera are probably about the same as for backpacking, albeit perhaps not to the same degree. Low weight, compact, quick setup and tear down. A camera that lends itself to quick setup and that is secure and compact when folded is a little more important than the weight, but the lighter the better.

I'm looking to buy a used camera in good condition, not a new one. The Toho FC-45X is one camera I'm considering, but they don't come up used very often and they generally fetch a better price than I want to pay. The Canham DLC would be a dream, but I've never seen one for sale at a price I could afford.

What are some other good candidates for a bicycle camera?

Greg Lockrey
2-Oct-2007, 20:03
Graphlex press cameras are tough enough.

Skip Abadie
2-Oct-2007, 20:09
Yeah, I'd probably use my Speed Graphic if it were in working order. Having it repaired might be the most cost-effective solution after all, if I can locate someone who can do the work.

I see your sig says this: "Happiness is pedaling +25 mph on a smooth road." Do you ever carry a LF camera with you when you ride Greg?

Greg Lockrey
2-Oct-2007, 20:12
Yeah, I'd probably use my Speed Graphic if it were in working order. Having it repaired might be the most cost-effective solution after all, if I can locate someone who can do the work.

I see your sig says this: "Happiness is pedaling +25 mph on a smooth road." Do you ever carry a LF camera with you when you ride Greg?

Yes I do, but on a touring bike with panniers and racks. I know a lot of guys trying to carry on a backpacks but all they have are sore backs.

Skip Abadie
2-Oct-2007, 20:16
Yes I do, but on a touring bike with panniers and racks. I know a lot of guys trying to carry on a backpacks but all they have are sore backs.

The touring bike is what I'm planning, Greg. I'm leaning toward building a touring bike based on a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame with panniers and racks. I don't want to wear a backpack while cycling.

Vaughn
2-Oct-2007, 20:22
I would suggest something along the lines of a used wood field camera -- one of the Japanese ones would do (Horseman Woodman, Tachahara, or similar). Another possibility would be a Busch Pressman, if you want something more along the lines of your Speed Graphic, but a little more versitile...and a small lens stores inside the camera.

A Bogen 3021 tripod, or something of similar size. would strap on the back of the bike fairly easily. Perhaps panniers on the back for the camera gear and your lunch. A daypack that can be rolled up and lashed on with the tripod is handy for hikes away from the bike.

Some folks mention possible dangers of vibrations on the bike, but 20 years ago I traveled 2500+ miles in 5 months with a Caltar IIN, 150mm in a Copol 0 (w/ lots of gravel roads), and I am still using the same lens now.

I'd love to bike with my 8x10, but a trailer and a lighter, more compact pod would be required.

Vaughn

Greg Lockrey
2-Oct-2007, 20:24
The touring bike is what I'm planning, Greg. I'm leaning toward building a touring bike based on a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame with panniers and racks. I don't want to wear a backpack while cycling.

Good plan. You sound like you want to do long hauls. One of those kiddie carts that add on the back of bike would work too. Or if you want to spend some real cash, those single wheel cargo towing carts. At any rate, some foam rubber to absorb the road shock would be smart too. I have an older Trek 520 steel bike that works for me.

Kirk Fry
2-Oct-2007, 20:33
Forget the tirpod, get a graphic. Sunny 16 and forget the light meter and cloth. Three film holders and it fits in a very small backpack.... K

Vaughn
2-Oct-2007, 21:09

Sounds like a nice bike (I just checked out their website...I had not heard of them before). For my long tour 20 years ago (and used a lot locally for photographing after that) I had a Trek 850 mountainbike. Actually a lousy mountain bike...but a great tourbike. It actually seems more like the bike you are looking at (long chainstay, etc). They were still made in the USA then...no longer the same bike now (design and quality).

One thing I did appreciate on my tour was the wider tires (I think I had 1.9" hybrid tires). Not the most efficient, but I weighed 220 pounds and had 80 pounds of stuff on the bike...more if I had to stock up on food. All that weight and gravel roads made having that extra air volume nice. It also meant that if I was in one place for several days, I could do some single-track riding to get to some nice places to photograph.

For some of the quick short trips, I did carry the camera gear in a pack...probably weighed no more than 10 pounds or so. It was nice just to grab the pod, dump the bike and go photograph. Usually this was within 5 miles or so from where I was staying.

I was using a Gowland Pocket View 4x5 (2.5 lbs with the lens) and had a 300 series (Studex) Gitzo pod w/ a #2 ballhead. I could have gotten away with the smaller 200 series (Reporter) pod easily enough. I carried 6 film holders, Pentax digital spot, darkcloth, and a small bag of odds and ends.

Greg Lockrey
2-Oct-2007, 21:18
They are nice bikes. I normally use 25mm tires on the touring bike but if I'm planning to run on a lot of gravel and dirt roads, the 32mm tires are better and I like them for winter riding here in Michigan. I've seen whole families on their 4 person tandem's. If you are looking for some really nice light weight tripods, look at the Feisol brand. They are shipped directly from the factory in China and the customer service is the best. I got mine in 4 days to Michigan. I will say they are comparable to Gitzo's for half the money. http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

Photomax
2-Oct-2007, 21:42
A nice Busch Pressman D might be just the ticket. They have some nice features which made me alter my search from the Graphics...

Robert A. Zeichner
3-Oct-2007, 04:49
It's been quite some time since I've done any cyclo-touring, but my gut tells me I would opt for rear panniers and fit them with some 4 lb Ethafoam inserts. One could contain the camera (optimally with a lens folded inside) and the other would handle the film holders, filters, meter, a second lens and other small items. Ethafoam is the hard, closed cell type that comes in slabs of various thicknesses. You can saw this stuff very easily and glue together to make a custom block that will fit the odd shape of the pannier(s) perfectly. Another bag could sit atop the rear rack and contain lunch, and so forth, maybe bungee'd over your tripod. There is a brand of tripod that seems to store with the legs flat and side by side that might work well. I don't think I'd ever want to wear a back pack while riding as I would feel more secure with added weight kept closer to the height of the wheel hubs. I would think, too, that in the event of a crash, the camera equipment would stand a better chance of survival if encased in hard foam as opposed to a pack being slung to the ground with me on top of it.

Greg Lockrey
3-Oct-2007, 05:14
Actually I like to keep the delicate stuff on top of the rear rack in a semi hard type case that's padded incase I fall down. In between the handlebars is a good place too. The average spill rate on a road bike is once every 2000 hours BTW. :o

j.e.simmons
3-Oct-2007, 05:42
You might consider picking up a Crown Graphic. You may be able to buy one for less than having your Speed repaired, and with the Crown, you save the weight of the focal plane shutter in the Speed.
juan

Jim Jones
3-Oct-2007, 06:18
The Busch is a nice camera. Crown Graphics are more readily readily available, and can be modified for improved front movements. Some models of B&J press cameras had all-metal construction, a revolving back, and better front movements. Long ago Kodak and Folmer-Schwing actually made cameras just for bicyclists. My 5x7 with six plate holders weighs about 20 lbs in an unpadded case, though.

Frank Petronio
3-Oct-2007, 06:25
I think I'd want to match the bike and camera just to keep the mojo right, a Rivendell with a wooden Wista, a Litespeed with an Ebony, a 40-lb Dutch Urban bike with my Linhof...

Seriously, consider chucking what you have and just get a clean old Crown Graphic and a couple of Grafmatics and just have fun. A large advantage of the Crown is that even nice ones aren't expensive, so if they get rained on or you crash you don't lose too much.

ericantonio
3-Oct-2007, 07:10
There's a pro (I think pro) bike race photographer here in Socal that actually rides his bike to the races (crits and stuff). I'm sure about 10 minutes of googling, you can find him and his setup. I've seen it before and I think he uses one of those things that you pull behind the bike.

I used to be a bike tour guide and I was the one that had to carry all the extra "stuff". Front panniers, rear panniers and rear top rack stuff.

If I were to do it again with a large format camera, I'd probably try to put a Pelican 1400 or 1500 inside a rear pannier but if I can fit it in the front, that would be more stable. (Balance it out with something on the other side)

I love those Surly Long Haulers. I commute on my road bike most of the week and almost always carry a Olympus Stylus with me :)

drew.saunders
3-Oct-2007, 09:12
One pannier option that might be especially well suited to bike touring is the oyster bucket pannier: http://www.cobbworks.com/
Yes, that's a big plastic bucket modified to strap to your rack. Not the most convenient shape for photo equipment, but you can't beat the durability should you worry about laying the bike down.

ericantonio
3-Oct-2007, 09:46
One pannier option that might be especially well suited to bike touring is the oyster bucket pannier: http://www.cobbworks.com/

Man! That's pretty ghetto! :)

Looks like something I would do!

Frank Petronio
3-Oct-2007, 13:30
Just get this from my boy Mike:

http://littlecircles.blogspot.com/2007/09/new-suv.html

Skip Abadie
3-Oct-2007, 22:03
I appreciate all the great ideas you've all come up with and tips from your personal experience. I'll check out the Crown Graphic and the Busch Pressman for sure, and compare the cost of one of those in good condition with getting my Speed Graphic repaired. The enclosed design of those cameras does seem like a good idea for a bicycle camera, whether encased in ethafoam or not (but I think the hard foam is also a great idea).

I already have a couple of grafmatic holders, and even a rollfilm back.

I don't know about those oyster bucket panniers, although I have to admit they are tres chic! :)

Jim Jones
4-Oct-2007, 07:50
Instead of repairing the Speed Graphic, consider getting a Crown and keeping the Speed Graphic for modifications or spare parts (if ever needed). That extra front standard can be modified for improved swings and tilts. A spare set of infinity stops is handy when you carry two lenses. The second back can be adapted to the Deardorff. Sometimes we get ideas for which we need additional gear. Sometimes we get the extra gear first, and the ideas erupt.

Thomas Greutmann
4-Oct-2007, 09:07
I have done some bicycle touring with LF gear (a tour of a couple of days with lodging in hotels), and I take my LF gear regularly out in the field on a bicycle.

On longer tours I have taken along a Wista DX Field camera, plus three lenses. A very compact yet very sharp APO Ronar 150mm, a not-so-compact 90mm Super Angulon plus a 240mm APO Ronar. I shoot black & white and I used TMax 100 in Readyload holders. All this plus a Gossen Lunasix plus a loupe plus a filter or two fits into a very small backpack which, again, fits into a watertight Ortlieb rear pack. A Manfrotto tripod goes on the rear rack. For extra protection I wrap the camera in an old black t-shirt which serves as a darkcloth, too. All the other non-photo gear (including clothings for all kind of weather) goes into another Ortlieb rear pack plus two front packs on a lowrider carrier. I own a heavy-duty touring bike, as you can guess.

On daytrips I take more photo gear, including film in regular holders or in Grafmatics, but no extra clothing etc. So I manage to go with one rear pack plus the tripod.

Another camera that might work well on bicycle trips is an old Super Graphic. Very compact and light. I also got hold of a Linhof IV recently and probably will take this box along in the future. A bit more heavy than the Wista, but more compact.

I also tried a Gowland Pocket View but I didn't like it. Too difficult to handle (for me, at least). Field cameras are easier to set up.

I think that the camera is just one factor to consider. I find the selection of lenses plus film holders equally important. Compact lenses such as APO Ronars save space and weight (more space than weight I guess, and space is more critical than weight on a bicycle). And the Readyload films and holders also help to save space. But of course there is some extra $$$ involved.

I could even save more space if I would be using a 90mm Angulon instead of a Super Angulon lens but that would be too much of a compromise - no room for movements left. With the APO Ronars there are no compromises for me in normal and longer lenses.

Greetings, Thomas

Ernest Purdum
4-Oct-2007, 09:20
In the very early 1900's, many makers (Folmer & Schwing, Rochester Camera Co., etc.) designated some of their products with "Cycle" or "Bicycle" as part of their model names.

The "Reversible Back Cycle Graphic" came in sizes from 4" X 5" to 8" X 10". The latter could take up to 30" lenses. An interesting feature was that the back worked like the half century later "Graflok" - pop off the groundglass and attach a magazine plate holder.

I can recall seeing an ad for a bicycle with a camera mounted above the handlebars.

Ernest Purdum
4-Oct-2007, 09:22
In the very early 1900's, many makers (Folmer & Schwing, Rochester Camera Co., etc.) designated some of their products with "Cycle" or "Bicycle" as part of their model names.

The "Reversible Back Cycle Graphic" came in sizes from 4" X 5" to 8" X 10". The latter could take up to 30" lenses. An interesting feature was that the back worked like the half century later "Graflok" - pop off the groundglass and attach a magazine plate holder or a rollfilm holder.

I can recall seeing an ad for a bicycle with a camera mounted above the handlebars.

Vaughn
4-Oct-2007, 10:22
..snip...I also tried a Gowland Pocket View but I didn't like it. Too difficult to handle (for me, at least). Field cameras are easier to set up...snip...Thomas

I really like my Pocket View...but I agree, it is not for everyone. It probably takes me twice as long to set up compared to the average wood field (60 seconds instead of 30 sec). But like any camera...use it long enough it becomes second nature. The Pocket View offers the lightweight compactness of a field camera and handling of a monorail camera. But there are no indents and some folks might feel strange walking around with an 5/16" allen wrench around their neck (what strange cult do you belong to?!) LOL!

The oyster buckets are a neat idea -- as good as the old plastic milk crate I used to have strapped to the top of my rear rack...and more weatherproof!

Vaughn

Gene McCluney
4-Oct-2007, 11:14
If I were going to bicycle with a 4x5 camera (I do bicycle), or motorcycle, I would use my Super Graphic, which is a metal bodied press camera, otherwise somewhat similar to the Crown Graphic. Being metal bodied, it can also serve as a nut cracker, and as a weapon in an emergency. One always has to think about multi-purpose tools when packing light.

David R Munson
4-Oct-2007, 12:54
I don't know if it would fit your budget, but you might look into something like a BOB Trailer (http://www.bobtrailers.com/index.php) or an Xtracycle (http://www.xtracycle.com/) setup if you're planning to do truly long hauls with full touring gear plus photo gear.

Let us know what you end up using. I've never done any bike touring, with or without camera, but it's definitely on my list. About the closest I've come is riding with 35mm gear in traffic, which can yield interesting results (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidrmunson/63815001/), but which is hardly the sort of relaxing activity I would hope bike touring would be!

Greg Lockrey
4-Oct-2007, 16:17
About the closest I've come is riding with 35mm gear in traffic, which can yield interesting results (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidrmunson/63815001/), but which is hardly the sort of relaxing activity I would hope bike touring would be!

Only if they were ladies.;)

I like drafting the ladies.:)

Skip Abadie
4-Oct-2007, 21:17
Instead of repairing the Speed Graphic, consider getting a Crown and keeping the Speed Graphic for modifications or spare parts (if ever needed). That extra front standard can be modified for improved swings and tilts. A spare set of infinity stops is handy when you carry two lenses. The second back can be adapted to the Deardorff. Sometimes we get ideas for which we need additional gear. Sometimes we get the extra gear first, and the ideas erupt.

That's a great idea, except that my Speed Graphic is in really nice condition except for the back. I'm seriously considering a Crown Graphic since I don't really want the extra weight of the focal plane shutter that my Speed has, but I do also think it would be nice to fix the Speed.

Skip Abadie
4-Oct-2007, 21:44
I think that the camera is just one factor to consider. I find the selection of lenses plus film holders equally important. Compact lenses such as APO Ronars save space and weight (more space than weight I guess, and space is more critical than weight on a bicycle). And the Readyload films and holders also help to save space. But of course there is some extra $$$ involved.

I could even save more space if I would be using a 90mm Angulon instead of a Super Angulon lens but that would be too much of a compromise - no room for movements left. With the APO Ronars there are no compromises for me in normal and longer lenses.

I don't have the best selection of lenses, but enough to get started. I've got a Schneider Krueznach Symmar-S 210mm f5.6, a Nikkor W 210mm f5.6 (yeah, I can sell one of those as I don't really need two 210mm f5.6 lenses), and a Rodenstock Grandagon 90mm f6.8.

Besides those, I've got a 12 inch Goerz Dagor in a No. 4 Acme Synchro shutter, but I'm not sure if it will fit on the little Graphic lensboard. I've also got a nice Wollensak 8x10 Series IIIA EX.W.A 6.25 inch f12.5. It's small and light but it doesn't have a shutter; not a problem for longish exposures.

So lets see, that's a 90mm, a 159mm, two 210mm, and a 300mm. I could probably do with just the 90mm Grandagon, the 159mm Wollensak, and the Nikkor W 210mm (it's a bit smaller and I think it is lighter than the Schneider Symmar S).

Skip Abadie
4-Oct-2007, 23:45
I don't know if it would fit your budget, but you might look into something like a BOB Trailer (http://www.bobtrailers.com/index.php) or an Xtracycle (http://www.xtracycle.com/) setup if you're planning to do truly long hauls with full touring gear plus photo gear.

Let us know what you end up using. I've never done any bike touring, with or without camera, but it's definitely on my list. About the closest I've come is riding with 35mm gear in traffic, which can yield interesting results (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidrmunson/63815001/), but which is hardly the sort of relaxing activity I would hope bike touring would be!

That xtracycle is really cool, but I think the BOB is more my style.

It'll be a while, but I'll post what I end up with. I'm still scoping the bike details, as well as the camera.

Ernest Purdum
7-Oct-2007, 09:46
I mentioned earlier a handlebar mounted camera and just now ran across an illustration of one on eBay. The camera is on a "penny/farthing" (huge wheel in front, tiny wheel in back). That seems like a good way to destroy a camera to me. My father's first bike was a penny/farthing and he was very glad to replace it with a Columbia Chainless - much safer. If anyone wants to see the picture, the item number is 140164738995. It's not a very good illustration, though.

fuegocito
10-Oct-2007, 12:41
Hi,

If you want less bulk and can do with shooting with one lens only, you may want to have a look at Dean Jones' 45 Polaroid conversions; http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/Polaroid/polaroid.html
I had him made me a 612 conversion off an old Polaroid J66 and it works wonderfully.

As for touring with LF, I though MF was crazy enough:) but I guess it's different stroke for different folks. Obviously the camera itself takes up considerable amount of precious space but adding the films, tripod, meter...and we not even talking about the insane amount of extra weights yet. But if one is to intend to stay in hotel instead of camping...I suppose it'll work too.

I just got back from cycling from Pakistan to China, with the extra amount of food and waters one needs to carry to get over high mountain passes and deserts, trust me when I say staying light is the way to go:)

Skip Abadie
14-Oct-2007, 12:25
Hi,

If you want less bulk and can do with shooting with one lens only, you may want to have a look at Dean Jones' 45 Polaroid conversions; http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~razzle/Polaroid/polaroid.html
I had him made me a 612 conversion off an old Polaroid J66 and it works wonderfully.

As for touring with LF, I though MF was crazy enough:) but I guess it's different stroke for different folks. Obviously the camera itself takes up considerable amount of precious space but adding the films, tripod, meter...and we not even talking about the insane amount of extra weights yet. But if one is to intend to stay in hotel instead of camping...I suppose it'll work too.

I just got back from cycling from Pakistan to China, with the extra amount of food and waters one needs to carry to get over high mountain passes and deserts, trust me when I say staying light is the way to go:)

The Razzle is quite intriguing. I've never heard of it before, but I've now seen the threads here on the forum about it. I'll contact Dean Jones to inquire, as I think it might make a wonderful bicycle camera.

The touring I contemplate will be not be nearly so ambitious as yours. Cycling from Pakistan to China would certainly be an incredible adventure, but I'll be sticking with local trips of short duration.

Vick Vickery
14-Oct-2007, 20:15
Skip, unless I missed it in all those messages, you didn't say what is wrong with your Speed Graphic...if its the shutter and you can open it for focusing, you can just use the lenses in shutters that you have for your other two cameras. That will mean that you don't have to spend anything for a field camera!

Vaughn
15-Oct-2007, 10:03
Well, yesterday I took my mountain bike and my 8x10 equipment on a 1.8 mile trail ride to a seculed beach with these great rocks that stick up out of the sand.

Five holders in one pannier, the pod head and lenses in the other. Camera pack on my back with Zone VI 8x10 and two holders. Full size Reis tripod strapped onto the rear rack (about 1/3 of it on the rack, the rest hanging off the end.)

The trail started out slightly uphill for about 3/8 mile...left me breathing heavy but I could keep moving. The trail was about 3 feet wide thru the redwoods. Then I hit the old roadbed (now the trail) and it was steep downhill to the beach. Constant brake use except for about 1/4 mile of semi-flat roadbed. So, quick trip to the beach...almost lost it once or twice.

Heavy moist fog at the beach -- about 100 feet above the sand. Took a couple good shots in this light. Finally the sun came out in the late afternoon...several more good photos (I hope), but it was getting late. On the way back to where I left the bike, I "had" to climb a rock for one last photo...took it, packed up and got to the bike. Loaded up the bike and started up the trail at sunset. Could not pedal uphill...just too steep.

I found that pushing a bike uphill is a lot of work...60 lbs of camera gear and 30 lbs of bike. I had to stop every 30 to 50 feet to catch my breath. Being in my 50's is not like it was in my 30's!

Total darkness by halfway up (no flashlight). Some starlight in the thinner spruce forest allowed me to kinda of see the roadbed. Finally reached the top and the downhill section of thinner trail thru the thick redwoods I rode the bike...seat down so my feet could touch the ground, heavy on the brakes and guessing where the trail was most of the time...the leaves being slightly less dark than the dirt of the trail. Big black-black shapes of the redwoods along the way. Only crashed three times.

So...what I need is a trailer for the 8x10 and to stick to close-to-level single track trails, or to pavement! And remember to take a flashlight!

fuegocito
15-Oct-2007, 13:08
Well, yesterday I took my mountain bike and my 8x10 equipment on a 1.8 mile trail ride to a seculed beach with these great rocks that stick up out of the sand.

Five holders in one pannier, the pod head and lenses in the other......

Now that's commitment!!!!!! :eek: I bow to you:)

Vaughn
15-Oct-2007, 13:37
Now that's commitment!!!!!! :eek: I bow to you:)

Commitment, or a need to be committed into a mental health facility for my own good!:p

What I did not mention was that there is another trail to the same area -- 2.2 miles of narrow single track...and just about level the whole way! But it costs $6 to enter the park that way, and I did not want to drive our old '84 Honda Accord (230,000 miles) over the rough ten miles of dirt road to get to that trailhead.

Plus I had forgotten how steep the trail was that I did take...it had been 8 years since I rode on it (without any extra gear) -- and I had done a loop and had not ridden up the trail (I don't think I would have forgotten that!)

I want to do it again with the 8x10 -- but I will take the level route!!! Worth every penny of the $6!

Vaughn

fuegocito
15-Oct-2007, 17:18
Commitment, or a need to be committed into a mental health facility for my own good!:p
Vaughn

cycling is good for one's mental and physical health:) and I agree better gears(literally;) ) and a trailer to take the load off your back is a grand idea, also the trailer also lets one carry a proper photo backpack so one can walk away from the bike carry all the camera gears instead of juggling panniers:P

Rob

fuegocito
15-Oct-2007, 17:22
but I'll be sticking with local trips of short duration.

I believe that is what every crazy tourist said at the beginning:p but by the time they cycled across the city, county, state.... well you know the rest:D

Vaughn
15-Oct-2007, 17:47
cycling is good for one's mental and physical health:) and I agree better gears(literally;) ) and a trailer to take the load off your back is a grand idea, also the trailer also lets one carry a proper photo backpack so one can walk away from the bike carry all the camera gears instead of juggling panniers:P

Rob

I was surprised that the pack on my back was not that bad...something I could put up with if the need to photograph in a remote place is great enough. But the few times I did crash was because my center of gravity was too far off to one side because of the pack and I could not recover my balence...considering the low speed I was going and the fact that I could not actually see where I was going. Someone have a trailer they want to give me? I'll have to keep an eye out for a used one.

I bike commute to work for both my mental and physical health...40 minutes of wonderful "me-only time" and my knees hurt if I take too much time off of cycling (several knee surgeries due to years of basketball and trail building).

Vaughn

PS...the gearing is fine on my bike...what I needed was a little motor assist!

Greg Lockrey
15-Oct-2007, 21:25
PS...the gearing is fine on my bike...what I needed was a little motor assist!

Going tandem is a thought....:D

Greg Lockrey
17-Oct-2007, 06:15
I used to ride with this old coot that we called "Doc", because he looked like Doc of Snow White and the 7 Dwarfs. He used to expouse his wisdom while riding to help pass the time. We would put this into the club newsletter as "Doc Sez". One was "if you are lost and don't know where you are, head into the wind, it is always windy going home". :D Another was "never ever get off your bike going up a steep hill because you will never get back on". :eek:

Here's a little thumbnail watercolor I did of Doc pumping his tires. (Yeah, I know it's not LF, but it is art in some circles.;) )

Vaughn
17-Oct-2007, 09:32
Looks like he knew the best use of an automobile, too!

Vaughn

Greg Lockrey
17-Oct-2007, 15:06
Looks like he knew the best use of an automobile, too!

Vaughn

There was a virtual bikeshop in his van too. :)

robert fallis
20-Oct-2007, 02:24
I had a stroke last year so had to give up my push bike, tended to fall off, I bought my self a tricycle, and put a tool box on the back to carry my photo stuff, crown graphic tripod etc, I'm slowly building up my strenght and can take photos in a radius of 3miles, but I have plans to motorize the thing which sould give me a radius of ten,

sorry about the focus of the pics, I,m not very good with digtal
bob

Greg Lockrey
20-Oct-2007, 04:01
That's a good set up. If you motor it, wouldn't it then require a license? There are those small friction motors that fit on the front wheel.

robert fallis
20-Oct-2007, 05:22
Greg,
in england the legal limit is 280 watts and it's still a push bike. this gives about 12-15 mph,
For larger motors the dept of transport want the police to take some one to court, to establise "case" law

bob

Greg Lockrey
20-Oct-2007, 05:53
Oh your'e from Enghilterra....I was wondering what you meant by push bike.:) Here in Michigan they have strict regualtions about putting motors on bikes. I think you can get away with an electric power assist but gas powered require license plates and be capable a minimum speed.

Joseph O'Neil
20-Oct-2007, 06:04
I had a stroke last year so had to give up my push bike, tended to fall off, I bought my self a tricycle, and put a tool box on the back to carry my photo stuff, crown graphic tripod etc, I'm slowly building up my strenght and can take photos in a radius of 3miles, but I have plans to motorize the thing which sould give me a radius of ten,

Interesting setup. Question - is the tripod fixed to the bike, or just stored that way? Got me thinking that a setup like yours with some sort of tripod fixed to the bike might be kinda handy in some situations.

Give you an off hand example, the few times i take my ten speed out, I have a Manfrotto bar clamp that in the past, I'll use the handlebars of my bike as an impromptu mount for my 4x5.

I was just thinking on your setup, especially when you get it motorized, you could almost have a post or bar welded in place behind your seat that would allow a tripod head to be attached. You could still use your tripod seperately, but I wonder if something like that would work?
joe

robert fallis
20-Oct-2007, 08:50
Joe,
one leg of the tripod fits in a 45mm plastic tube, that is fastened to the side of the tool box ,by a couple of clips, and the other two legs go in box, wedged by the dark cloth.too keep them firm
This tube used to take my walking stick, but I don't need the stick now,

bob

Randy H
20-Oct-2007, 09:12
Here is an interesting link for this thread

http://www.classic-camera.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=1899-1930s-Vintage-Camera-Ads&id=Cycle_Poco_Ad