PDA

View Full Version : Anyone made a graflock back for a Tachi?

Ben R
2-Oct-2007, 12:01
Has anyone ever made or fitted a graflock back to a Tachihara? The Tachi's spring back can be removed completely so technically it should be possible to fit or even make a graflock type back. I rang Jeff at Badger Graphic, he doesn't know of any that have ever been made but doesn't see why not. Any ideas?

John Schneider
2-Oct-2007, 12:12
I haven't done this particular mod, but all you really have to do is pick up an old Singer-Graflex grafloc back from eBay (or maybe Midwest), make or buy another back plate (just like the plate that holds the spring back now) that attaches to the camera rear frame, and attach the grafloc back to that plate.

I did this same thing to a Gowland that came without a back.

Ben R
2-Oct-2007, 12:16
To be honest I don't even need the film holding back, just the frame (back plate?) to attach the accessories to. Been thinking of trying out one of these 35mm adaptors for certain applications. They need a graflok back to attach.

Scott --
2-Oct-2007, 12:50
I made one for my Seneca, and it's basically like John said: Get a Graflok frame, make/obtain a new base frame that mounts to the camera, and slap the Graflok on it.

Bob Salomon
2-Oct-2007, 13:03
Wista makes a Graflock back adapter for their Wista cherry wooden cameras without a Graflock back. This adapter may be able to be attached to your camera as Wista lists it as fitting both Wista and Tachihara field cameras. It is item # 214532

Ben R
2-Oct-2007, 13:38
That's great Bob, I've seen the item on B&H (ouch, that's half the price my camera was!) but can't see where Wista list it for the Tachihara?

Scott and John, you say make or obtain a base frame, could you elaborate, I would not have any idea where to start.

Scott --
2-Oct-2007, 13:41
For my Seneca, I made a wooden frame with a little bigger than 4x5 opening, sized to fit the back of the camera (I mortised and tenoned mahogany - I tend to overbuild...;)). On the Seneca, you have to rabbet the back to sit inside the rear standard. The Graflok screwed into place.

PM me if you'd like more details or pictures.

Ben R
2-Oct-2007, 13:53
Thanks Scott, to be honest I'm beginning to wonder if it might not be a better idea, should I want to hang an SLR off the back, to be looking at a monorail anyway, my Tachi is not the most steady of creatures. I'll have to test that out. The price of the Wista is certainly not something to ignore and the method you suggest seems to be rather above my level of skill! How do you keep it light tight for example?

Ben R
2-Oct-2007, 14:13
Nope I was wrong, the back standard of the Tachi is rock solid for all that the front standard is floppy as hell even when tightened. Just had another look! I've taken off the back and had another look, I see what you've done Scott but I don't know how you made it light tight, would it be better to make it as they did with the metal clips on the camera fitting into grooves rather than just holding it in place by force of friction?

All I need now is a Graflex back and someone who knows their way around wood. Hmmm!

Bob Salomon
2-Oct-2007, 15:21
That's great Bob, I've seen the item on B&H (ouch, that's half the price my camera was!) but can't see where Wista list it for the Tachihara?

Scott and John, you say make or obtain a base frame, could you elaborate, I would not have any idea where to start.

Paul,

We are the Wista US distributor. B&H is a dealer. Their descriptions are not always complete. As you found out when you asked the first dealer - who is not an authorized dealer for our products.

Ben R
2-Oct-2007, 15:34
HP doesn't mean Hewlett Packard? Don't know why I always thought it did when I saw your username! My apologies Bob, couldn't work out why HP would be frequenting a LF site..

Dave Parker
2-Oct-2007, 15:48
Well I made made a wood frame for the back of a Calument Wood Field and mounted a Graphic View II graflok to it if that counts, it worked quite well, and only took me about an hour to do it.

Dave

Bob Salomon
2-Oct-2007, 16:09
HP doesn't mean Hewlett Packard? Don't know why I always thought it did when I saw your username! My apologies Bob, couldn't work out why HP would be frequenting a LF site..

No it means HP Marketing Corp. HP were the initials of our founder Herbert Peerschke. HP Marketing Corp is the US distributor of:

Ansmann, Braun, Combina, Ergorest, Gepe, Gepe-Pro, Giottos, Golla, Heliopan, Kaiser, Linhof, Novoflex, Rimowa, Rodenstock, Tetenal ink jet paper, Vue-All and Wista.

Nothing at all to do with Hewlett Packard.

Ben R
3-Oct-2007, 03:45
my apologies again Bob!

gari beet
3-Oct-2007, 06:01
My Gandolfi Variant has a Cambo back attached to a square board that fits the back, the camera is a 5x7. it is simple and very effective, I have a Cambo SC which I changed my mind about moving on for this very reason, it would be very easy to make yourself so I kept it as a spare in case I want to get a Graphic or some such to convert. If you want a picture to get an idea how it works let me know.

Gari

Ben R
6-Oct-2007, 13:45
Is this the thing that I'm looking for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-Graflok-Back-4x5-Crown-Speed-Graphic_W0QQitemZ330172860402QQihZ014QQcategoryZ30038QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

and will it fit if I put it on a peice of wood to fit onto the back of my Tachi? I'm worried that leaving enough room for the screws, etc will make the wood too big to fit into the space?

gari beet
6-Oct-2007, 14:46
Yeh, thats the kind of thing though you would need the focus screen to fit to it, sellers other items on the same auction. Obviously you would need the dimensions to make sure its smaller than the Tachi back in order to attach to a panel made to fit the back of said Tachi.

Gari

Ben R
7-Oct-2007, 02:49
Does anyone have the dimensions of the graflex back so I can measure it up and see if it will fit?

Many thanks.

p.s. Gari, I'm so jelous of where you live, any photos to show?

Ben R
7-Oct-2007, 05:45
Next annoying question, would the GG from my Tachi fit into the graflex back? From what I've read it's pretty superior, would be a shame to have to buy the back and then a new screen for it. Are there focusing problems with trying this due to the thickness of the screens?

gari beet
7-Oct-2007, 10:26
Hi Ben, the GG will be very close I would think, a little sanding on the outers maybe. I recently did this to a Satin snow for a Shen to get it to fit my Gandolfi, no big deal as long as you go slow etc.

As for the focus thing, if your screen is GG with the Fresnel behind, closest to the photographer, then it should be fine. Assuming the Graflex is GG only, no Fresnel.

Gari

Ben R
7-Oct-2007, 11:03
Been playing with the idea of just swopping my Tachi for a Shen Hao, seems I would still want to swop the glass out though so I might as well not bother. The bag bellows and graflok back are pluses but with these digital stitching backs it seems that you get big problems with too much movements anyway so the extra would be pretty useless. The bag bellows might be useful when the focus plane is some 70mm behind the ground glass, getting decent movements with my 90mm on the tachi is hard enough as it is. Anyone think this might just be a simpler solution?

gari beet
7-Oct-2007, 11:23
I have been toying with trading my Gandolfi Varient for a Tachi if you fancy a change!? I want something lightweight for taking up the mountains now I am getting on a bit!!

Gari

some pics attached for you.

Ben R
7-Oct-2007, 11:46
Gari, sounds interesting, fancy taking it to PM? I did have a look at your site, love your soothing style. My work so far is on www.beni-art.net, I'm afraid that I'm still young and looking for work that jumps out at you, not as soothing as yours.

gari beet
7-Oct-2007, 12:06
PM sounds good. The work on your site is very nice, you have a good eye for landscapes. I like the site too, I have done very little with my site lately as I want to build a custom site but lack the skills!

I shall send a PM shortly

Regards

Gari

Darryl Baird
7-Oct-2007, 15:09
Ben, are you trying to use a roll film back or digital? I used to put a 6x12 back under the GG of my Tachi. It was tight and a little nerve wracking, but I managed to slip in into place well enough to shoot.

The white stuff -- I taped the back for composing.