PDA

View Full Version : Fotoman 45PS first impressions

Jan Brittenson
2-Oct-2007, 10:59
So got my 45PS today, and thought I'd describe it a bit for those of you who haven't seen or used one in person. I'll add a few photos tonight when I have more time.

The camera kit ships in a little aluminum case, perfect for storage and some limited travel like dropping it in a car trunk. The case has foam cutouts for the camera, cone, lens, viewfinder,and spirit level. These items are all included, plus a cable release that screws into either handle. The case isn't Pelican grade sturdy, but should be fine for light use and storage.

The camera feels nice and sturdy, the parts all fit together just as they should and the finish is nice. It's surprisingly light weight.

The back is interesting, instead of the usual springloaded mechanism there is a slot to insert the film holder and it comes with a GG insert. Behind the holder slot, on the body itself is a dark slide. So to use the GG, insert it and pull the slide. If you don't plan to use the GG (I don't), simply leave it behind and it's a little less to carry. It's possible that the darkslide might not be strictly necessary either, but that's just an untested guess.

There are two parts to using a lens. First there's a cone which simply sets a ballpark infinity distance. The second part is the focusing helix, which is focal length and shutter mount specific. When you order the camera kit you specify which lens you plan to use with the camera and they'll supply the proper cone and helix.

The viewfinder is designed to accept either an internal or external mask. Mine came with an external mask for the lens I specified, with a note that they didn't have the internal in stock; that I should email them and they'll send me an internal mask when available. Not sure if the internal is a mask or frameline.

Adding another lens consists of getting a cone, helix, and viewfinder mask. The external masks swap very easily. The viewfinder has a spirit level on top (not visible in the view) and two extra accessory shoes besides the viewfinder shoe. So it's easy to add an external spirit level (one is included in the camera kit), a PocketWizard, or any other common accessory. The lens mounts similar to any other lens board, not sure if the helix part is permanently attached to the cone or not, but the thing to do IMO is to simply order a set for the second lens. If the camera and I get along well I'm sure I'll get a second for a 150 in addition to the 75 I got as part of the kit. Oh, I should mention the lens cone attaches with four corner screws and swaps quickly and easily.

There is no instruction book included (none is needed, it's a dead simple device), and the ubiquitous camera strap is left out (who needs another one). A lock ring for the lens mount is included, just in case.

I hope to actually find time to use it the next few days... when I know more I'll report on how it works in the field. But it's so simple there's really not much to go wrong. I think.

Scott Squires
2-Oct-2007, 17:33
Jan

Thanks for the post. Keep us updated on your thoughts as you use it. It is a very interesting camera.

Scott

www.scottsquires.com

niubi
3-Oct-2007, 03:50
The back is interesting, instead of the usual springloaded mechanism there is a slot to insert the film holder and it comes with a GG insert. Behind the holder slot, on the body itself is a dark slide. So to use the GG, insert it and pull the slide. If you don't plan to use the GG (I don't), simply leave it behind and it's a little less to carry. It's possible that the darkslide might not be strictly necessary either, but that's just an untested guess.

If you don't focus using the gg, how do you focus accurately? (excuse my ignorance but I have no idea about these cameras). :o

Ted Harris
3-Oct-2007, 04:56
For those who want more information on the 45PS you should search a number of previous threads on this Forum going back to its release about two years ago. See also my article on the camera in View Camera about 18 months ago.

To answer some specific points raised above. Focusing is "zone focusing" by eyeball (or laser pointer if you want to go that route) and then transferring the info to the distance scale on the helicoid mount. Not all cones come with the helicoid preinstalled but installing it yourself and zeroing the setting is a simple 5 minute operation.

It's a fun camera to use and rugged. I have 58, 75 and 135 cones but find that the 75 is the one most used as it provides the best balance between size and usability. I mention usability because a lens in the 75-90 range gives you enough depth-of-field that, combined with some attention to zone focusing, makes this a real point-and-shoot 4x5. I generally use it with Polaroid film (most frequently T55).

Jan Brittenson
3-Oct-2007, 22:15
I generally use it with Polaroid film (most frequently T55).

I found that to use my 545 Pro holder I had to remove the right handle. No biggie, a 4mm hex key and it's off in a few seconds. I too plan to shoot T55 and some T59. I scan T59 in a flatbed and reprint it; it has a very different look to it. Otherwise probably mostly 160S; it's slightly faster than regular 100 speed films, and has lots of latitude.

The dark slide doesn't seem necessary...

No pics yet, either of or with the camera, too much work right now...

Leonard Metcalf
4-Oct-2007, 02:27
My latest Fotoman 45PS photos - taken with a Caltar N 135mm f5.6 lens. HP5+ Both handheld
Tulip Time at Myoori Avenue
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1426/1480234984_654c3bb551_o.jpg
Leura Escarpment looking up Aurathusa Canyon
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1355/1481914323_1ffbda11a8_o.jpg

Oh, since I have started I have double exposed, forgot to remove the lens cap, forgot to focus, pressed the shutter prematurely, not seated the double dark slides properly, miss-guessed the focus and graised my leg making sure it wasn't hurt when I toppled over on a slippery track. I still haven't purchased the Fotoman rangefinder. I have carried it on three day bushwalks with an UPstrap over my shoulder. It does get heavy but not as heavy as my 28 kg pack. At first there was some wasted film, but I must report that I am now getting the hang of it. I have never put it on a tripod, though I will someday. I am considering adding a wide angle lens and cone. Mine has the huge machine gun handles (as romantically put by Scott at Mainline Photographics in Sydney). I regularly take one off to save weight when carrying it on extended walks. I love using it in the rain... as I can whip it out of my raincoat and get the shot, and am not worried about the wood swelling up. It is bulky to put into my pack and I do miss my movements after carrying it for twenty kilometers, but as it is a complement to my Ebony I don't mind. It provides a fun and different shooting experience, it frees me up from my normal large format routine. I will eventually get some graphmatics and the extension back as I think they will suit the style it should be used in. It is definitely build like the proverbial "Brick *&#% house". I am slowly learning not to go anywhere without it. It is fantastic when I use it with figure work in the field. Over time I have fallen in love with this camera.

Ted Harris
4-Oct-2007, 04:49
Jan, the handles Len refers to in the next post (officially the "aerial" handles IIRC) will solve your problem with the Polaroid holder. I am using early prototype handles.