PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 rotary processing options

walter23
1-Oct-2007, 23:39
I'm using a unicolor drum for 4x5 processing and, except for the low throughput, I'm very happy with it. Is there something similar and cheap for 8x10? Or could I even use this drum? If I stick a sheet in the way you'd presumably load 8x10 paper there will be a long strip along the center where it will contact the 5" divider.

I just bought a beseler 8x10 print drum off ebay. Can I use this? If not, I'll keep it as a spare for 4x5.

I don't want to use a tank and hangars because of the chemistry volumes; same problem with trays. Working in strict darkness is also inconvenient. JOBO stuff is expensive but if there's a good drum from them I'll consider it.

John Kasaian
2-Oct-2007, 06:01
Use the same drum. It works for me---if you can find an 11x14 drum you can process two sheets of 8x10 at the same time though it takes a little practice to get two sheets inside in the dark.

Jim Rice
2-Oct-2007, 09:54
What John said. The Unicolor drum works just fine on 8x10".

walter23
2-Oct-2007, 11:13
What John said. The Unicolor drum works just fine on 8x10".

So do you load it into the guides (with the central part of the sheet presumably contacting the middle set of guides that divide the 10" partition into 2 x 5" ones for 4x5s?)?

Anyway, this is good news. I wasn't looking forward to tray processing film sheets.

John Kasaian
2-Oct-2007, 12:59
So do you load it into the guides (with the central part of the sheet presumably contacting the middle set of guides that divide the 10" partition into 2 x 5" ones for 4x5s?)?

Anyway, this is good news. I wasn't looking forward to tray processing film sheets.

The best way I can explain it is----I can't. Get a hold of an 8x10 negative or scrap sheet of film and it'll be apparent how it works. The ends of the film will slide into the channels on the inside of the drum to keep the film from slipping around.
IMHO it is easier than loading 4x5---no clippy thingys to mess with. You can finesse two sheets in an 11x14 drum which speeds thing up a bit (one double sided film holder= one loaded drum---nice!)

Tori Nelson
2-Oct-2007, 13:54
You might think about getting a JOBO 3005 drum. I use mine with a Unicolor roller base and it works fantastically. It's very easy to load and will hold 5 8x10 negs at a time, each in a separate chamber. It doesn't take much chemistry and you don't have to worry about fumbling with trays in the dark. It is a little pricey but the time and frustration you save makes it more than worth it!!!

There are a couple of little tricks I've learned that make it the easiest way to go. If you end up getting one send me an email and I'll pass all my info on to you.

walter23
2-Oct-2007, 14:16
I have a big jobo 3063 but I think it's just a smooth (or maybe ridged) wall drum; no dividers to load film into. Am I mistaken? I'm actually not 100% sure that I've ever even opened it, just saved it in case I ever did a 20x24 print which I would not want to do in trays.

Michael Heald
2-Oct-2007, 14:21
I develop two sheets in a 11 x 14 drum. I use 135cc of TMax RS to develop four 4x5 in the 8x10 drum, and double that to develop two 8x10 negatives in the 11x14 drum. They turn out great.
I think Ebay has 11x14 Unicolor drums pop up fairly regularly. Best regards.

Michael A. Heald

Tori Nelson
2-Oct-2007, 14:26
Jobo shows that the 3063 is only for prints, regardless, you would never get that monster to work with a Uniroller base, especially fully loaded. I believe the 3005 is about as big as you could go and still have the base work properly.

Ole Tjugen
2-Oct-2007, 15:13
i'm using JOBO print drums - 2830 and so on - to develop 8x10" sheet film. I haven't done 8x10" E6 yet, but the 5x7" E6es I've done in the same drum have been perfect. :)