PDA

View Full Version : AZ Slot Canyons

steve simmons
1-Oct-2007, 14:48
I am curious how one gains access, do you need a guide, are they on reservation land etc. Any information people feel like sharing will be very appreciated.

thanks

steve simmons

eric black
1-Oct-2007, 14:53
They are on reservation land and you will need to pay to enter them. I think Upper antelope which I find more interesting is about $20 or so to enter. Lower is set up differently now though- I think you have to take a bus or something to get in there but I havent been in there in years- I do believe that they will charge you to get in there seperately from upper. Great places to visit though- I had a blast!

Juergen Sattler
1-Oct-2007, 15:02
You do not need to take a bus for the lower Antelope Canyon - you just drive up your car, pay, wait for a guide to take you in there. I actually prefer the lower canyon, beause it is less visited and you get more time to photograph - infact the last time I was there I was able to stay as long as I wanted. For the upper Antelope Canyon you can either book a visit in town at one of the many guide companies or go directly to the Canyon. When booking in town you get more time to photograph - you can even book a photographer-only tour. In any case you will not have as much time as in the lower canyon.

Ron Marshall
1-Oct-2007, 15:20
http://www.navajonationparks.org/htm/antelopecanyon.htm

David Luttmann
1-Oct-2007, 17:10
I just finished photographing in both over the last few days. Lower Antelope Canyon is by far the most interesting and the least travelled....because of the steep steps that keep most of the tourists away.

Upper Antelope was a complete gong show with hundreds of people going thru with their point and shoots flashing like mad. I spent about 4 hours in the lower canyon with no problem. Well, there was one....I found so many interesting forms that I need to go back for another few hours. Thunderstorms today kept me away.

Just drive up to the Upper Canyon lot, pay $8, and they truck you in...like cattle.

I paid $20 if memory serves for lower....and you just drive up to the opposite (power plant side) of the street. There is a lot there and you walk for about 1 minute to get in. And when I say get in....you squeeze thru a crack in the ground.

I chuckle at the web site linked above mentioning the spirituality of the site. Bruce Barnbaum comments on his discussions with the people in the area and prior to it becoming a tourism hot spot, the people didn't seem to attach any importance to the site other than trying to keep sheep and cattle from falling in, and the young population using it as a party spot. Now of course because it's so popular, there has now been this apparent creation of religious and spiritual importance.....I guess it help the mystique of the place.

Dave Wooten
1-Oct-2007, 17:37
Check the weather, water gets in there, quietly and suddenly.

steve simmons
1-Oct-2007, 18:16
Thanks to all for the info.

steve simmons

Keith Pitman
1-Oct-2007, 19:58
The time of year is important too. I have only been in the winter, and, with the sun lower, you have a shorter window and poorer light quality. The offset, is fewer people to contend with. Fascinating places, even if you didn't make a photo.

eric black
2-Oct-2007, 06:17
I seem to have the canyons reversed in my post- sorry, it is the lower canyon I was describing as my favorite. Somehow I seem to recall it as being the one that is further north- is this correct?

Juergen Sattler
2-Oct-2007, 06:41
Eric,

the lower Canyon is just across the street from the upper - you cross the major highway and go for maybe 1/3 of a mile, if even that.

jetcode
2-Oct-2007, 07:45
Check the weather, water gets in there, quietly and suddenly.

I have read of several who made their last images in these canyons - flash flooding

Adam Kavalunas
2-Oct-2007, 07:59
Ok, here's my 2 maybe 3 cents........

Lower is north of Hwy 98, Upper is south of Hwy 98. It will cost you $21/person to visit Lower, which is the canyon I prefer. It gets more interesting shades of purple and blue and red than Upper. You can easily spend 4 hours just going up and down in Lower. Make sure you're in there between 10 & 2. You are not required to have a guide, although they will suggest you follow one. You can just have someone show you the entrance and they should leave you alone if you dont want to be bothered. You can also get a "photographers" pass to hang around your neck if you want to feel "special!"

Now if you decide to go to Upper on the "same day", just drive across Hwy 98, they will waive your $8 navajo fee and you can just park at the booth. You will still have to pay $20/person to be shuttled up to the mouth of Upper. You then get about an hour inside the canyon, and you are supposed to stay with your guide, but you can usually lag behind and shoot at your liesure. Upper is like walking down a New York street, jam packed! You may find yourself somewhat dissapointed with all the people you'll encounter. If you need more time, you can pay extra at the ticket booth before you ride the shuttle, or usually you can just tip your guide some extra money and they will let you stay longer. There will be no light beams in upper this time of year. There are other slots in the Page area, including Waterholes which i've not been to, but some say it has some areas just as interesting as Antelope. Dont be afraid to talk to some locals about other slots in the area. There are some truly spectacular slots that are unknown and off limits to non locals, but if you talk to the right people, you might find yourself in some of most amazing locations......

Adam

www.plateauvisions.com

jetcode
2-Oct-2007, 10:29
Ok, here's my 2 maybe 3 cents........
www.plateauvisions.com

Hey Adam,
Nice photographs. Sandstone Symphony is simply amazing.
Joe