PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Owners - Still in Love?

davidb
1-Oct-2007, 00:01
There was so much excitement and hype about the Chamonix cameras that I am now wondering if the owners are still in love with their cameras?

Let us know.

Songyun
1-Oct-2007, 05:19
of course.

Jack Flesher
1-Oct-2007, 06:33
Yes indeed!

davidb
1-Oct-2007, 07:18
You are men of many words.

Jack Flesher
1-Oct-2007, 08:34
First off, and speaking for myself, I said it all already in the three different Chamonix threads... Second, you asked a simple question and got a simple answer. If you are expecting more detail on some aspect of the camera or its use, it may be advisable to ask a more specific question :)

Cheers,

davidb
1-Oct-2007, 08:36
And a fine morning to you too, Jack.

Frank Petronio
1-Oct-2007, 08:47
Jack is going to be positive about his Chamonix until the end of the year, after which he collects our $20 bet.

Then he'll buy his Misura ;-)

Jack Flesher
1-Oct-2007, 09:00
David: No need to get snippy. No offense was intended in my response --- I only meant to be constructive by suggesting that if you wanted more detail about the Chamonix than was given in the original three lengthy and fairly detailed posts, it might help if you were more specific about what else it is you want to know... :)

Frank: No Misura for me. There are only two cameras (in 4x5) I feel make for a potentially better shooting experience than the Chamonix, and then only in a few areas; the Ebony 45SU and the Arca F-Metric. Unfortunately, they are each 5 to 6 times the cost of the Chamonix.

Cheers,

davidb
1-Oct-2007, 09:05
Sorry... I forgot the smiley face.

And a fine morning to you too, Jack. :)

Songyun
1-Oct-2007, 09:08
david, I think only a few people in this forum own a Chamonix 4X5, I think the number is around 5.

davidb
1-Oct-2007, 09:09
I'm sure the number is low but there are probably 20 on the waiting list.

Songyun
1-Oct-2007, 09:11
Do you have any 5X7/5X8 camera in your mind now?

Don Miller
1-Oct-2007, 11:47
Is there a 5x7 with a 4x5 reducing back?

Alex Wei
1-Oct-2007, 11:52
I love my Chamonix 045N. I foundling it everyday :)

David A. Goldfarb
1-Oct-2007, 12:19
I'm not on such intimate terms with Alex's 045N, but on a first meeting, I'm impressed.

PBrooks
1-Oct-2007, 22:53
is this just for the 4x5, cause if not i'll chime in and say "---- yes!!!!!!". My only regret about my order is that I didn't order 4 more 14x17 holders to go with the 4 I got.

Greg Lockrey
2-Oct-2007, 00:05
David: No need to get snippy. No offense was intended in my response --- I only meant to be constructive by suggesting that if you wanted more detail about the Chamonix than was given in the original three lengthy and fairly detailed posts, it might help if you were more specific about what else it is you want to know... :)

Frank: No Misura for me. There are only two cameras (in 4x5) I feel make for a potentially better shooting experience than the Chamonix, and then only in a few areas; the Ebony 45SU and the Arca F-Metric. Unfortunately, they are each 5 to 6 times the cost of the Chamonix.

Cheers,

And your'e just a poor country boy from CA.;) ;)

Amund BLix Aaeng
2-Oct-2007, 17:37
There was so much excitement and hype about the Chamonix cameras that I am now wondering if the owners are still in love with their cameras?

Let us know.

Oh yes, I`m still super exited by this camera, it`s a damn fine camera, and a bargain at the current price IMO... I

Skip Abadie
2-Oct-2007, 20:05
I can't find a website for Chamonix cameras. Anyone have a link or pics?

David Karp
2-Oct-2007, 22:32
Search here for Chamonix and blonde (yes, just try it, you will see), and you will see lots of photos. The website is all in Chinese.

mervynyan
23-Sep-2009, 01:59
Can anyone compare Chamonix 45N and A/S F-Metric 45 from technical side? I am keen to get the former if it is equally durable?
Cheers,

Raidahl
23-Sep-2009, 04:29
I was very close to buy Chaminox 45 from ebay, but then there were cheaper Tachihara, now I´m in love with that :) ;)

Jfnphotography
23-Sep-2009, 07:15
I have only used 1 sheet of film with mine so far. But it was A lot easier to use then my Linhof III with my 90mm lens. Going out this afternoon to give it a real test.

Ron Bose
23-Sep-2009, 07:47
I bought mine for my girlfriend (now wife) and she hasn't really used it.

It is a fantastic camera in that it is small, light, surprisingly rigid, and quite lovely to look at.

I sold my Gandolfi Variant II as the 45N made it redundant.

My 4x5 favorite remains my Linhof TK45S and although I have a Canham 4x5/5x7 I'm still not sure I like it ...

Richard K.
23-Sep-2009, 07:58

Let us know.

I have recently received my third Chamonix, a dedicated 7x11. As with all adventures of the heart, perhaps the initial passion has waned a bit but has instead been replaced with a deep and abiding friendship based on mutual respect, appreciation of life's foibles and the unyielding commitment to continuing photographic expression, as well as the sense of communion with photographers and cameras past. My Chamonii do this sterlingly and I continue to have a special fondness for them with absolutely no regrets. In form and function they excel. :) :D

R Mann
23-Sep-2009, 08:27
I bought one - used it for a little while and then sold it - it was OK, but I think it is a little over hyped. I don't think the build quality was much different than any other wood field cameras I have used (Wisner, Shen Hao & Canham). I didn't like the the the focus wheel placement or the back swing & I really missed using back focus. For a new camera it is cheap, but for the money I think there are other (better) choices in the used market. Just my opinion for what it is worth -

lilmsmaggie
23-Sep-2009, 09:37
I feel left out. I want to be in love with a Chamonix 4X5 too!

I wonder if Hugo is taking orders for the new model thats due to comes out next year.

And for the person that was looking for the website, try here:

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com

D. Bryant
23-Sep-2009, 09:52
I feel left out. I want to be in love with a Chamonix 4X5 too!

Order one!

lilmsmaggie
23-Sep-2009, 12:14
Order one!

Just sent Hugo an email to get an update on availability. :D

Jim Galli
23-Sep-2009, 12:50

Let us know.

2 Chamonix owner. Yep. But I don't use either of them nearly enough. The 5X14 is still for sale if anyone wants something unique. No waiting :D:D (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=44400&highlight=5X14) The 4X5 I wouldn't sell because it's my only 4X5 except for the Speedy. 2 different tools for 2 different jobs.

BradS
23-Sep-2009, 12:53
There was so much excitement and hype about the Chamonix cameras that I am now wondering if the owners are still in love with their cameras?.

are you?

Anupam
23-Sep-2009, 13:06

Let us know.

Yep. After more than a year of use, I still love it. Works as advertised, no fuss, no surprises - a joy to use.

And I think there are certainly more than 5 Chamonix owners here.

BarryS
23-Sep-2009, 14:02
David started this thread in October 2007. :) I believe he no longer shoots LF. And yes, I still love my Chamonix.

rugenius
23-Sep-2009, 17:55
This camera is killer.
Purchasing lenses now...
Planning on a three lens system to start.
The first lens purchased was a late issue Fujinon W 150mm f/5.6 on Copal 0.
Second lens is probably going to be a Fujinon A 240mm f/9.0 or G-Claron 305mm f/9.0.
Third lens will likely be a crispy wide angle Schneider or Nikon 90mm.

Before I rip through color positive 4x5 I will probably use a 6x9 or 6x12 roll back.
Never know... I might like this!:)

Jiri Vasina
23-Sep-2009, 23:49
5x8" camera. 1.5 year of use. Yes, I am.

After so many trips together, I've come to realize the weaknesses of my Chinese mistress, have found some limitations. She is versatile, cooperative... Now it's not infatuation of first sight, but true deep affection... Like with a live mistress :D :D

Jiri

pocketfulladoubles
24-Sep-2009, 10:23
I like mine a lot. It's my first LF camera so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have 5 lenses that I use from 65mm to 450mm and they all work very well. Complaints? I think the uncalibrated Fresnel is not acceptable (see other threads), but I put in a Maxwell anyway so that has been taken care of. If you want to take wide open shots, just assume you'll be spending extra money on a new screen. I use my camera about two or three times per week, and while I really really like this camera for a lightweight field camera, I'm starting to understand that having geared movements, or at least separate front rise and tilt adjustments, and a back focus can be very useful.

Ulrich Drolshagen
24-Sep-2009, 12:36
I think the uncalibrated Fresnel is not acceptable

I've just now simply swapped the groundglass and the fresnel. The two are now stuck together with two slightly modified paper clips on diagonal corners. The corners of the fresnel must be clipped away anyway so that you can peep through to check for vignetting.
But I agree, it is not acceptable. The factory should supply all owners with a modified replacement of the groundglass frame.

Ulrich

Daniel_Buck
24-Sep-2009, 12:48
still enjoy mine, 4x5 and 8x10

adonis_abril
24-Sep-2009, 17:19
I haven't had mine for a year but I've had a Tachihara, Wista SP, Shen Hao, and Canham DLC...the Chamonix is by far my favorite. All the functionality I need minus the weight since I take it backpacking.. the only minor annoyance is the groundglass cover - takes some time getting used to removing it fast.

Daniel_Buck
24-Sep-2009, 17:33
the only minor annoyance is the groundglass cover - takes some time getting used to removing it fast.

indeed, I've stopped using mine, and am using the leather cover (which I like, but don't like the fact that it's basically glued onto the bottom of the camera, I would have liked something that is removable)

rugenius
24-Sep-2009, 20:17
GG and fesnel,... Hhhhmmmm.....
The plot thickens for a noob.....:)

Lon Overacker
25-Sep-2009, 22:34
Had my Chamonix 4x5 for over a year now. Very happy, I love the camera. I would recommend this camera to both experienced LF users and new users of LF. Is it a perfect camera? No, there isn't such a camera, but the Chamonix is a pleasure to use.

Lon

epmorrill
26-Sep-2009, 18:47
I switched to a Chamonix for weight reasons in May, 2009 (architectural and landscape work in the field), and am happy so far - aside from the aforementioned fresnel problems and slight issues with the spirit levels not being perfectly flush (which is rather frustrating).

But I do love the camera, oh so very much! It's got more personality. But I don't mean it has lots of flaws. It's got the personality of a perfectionist.

This is my first post to the forum! I've appreciated info I've gotten here over my student years - and hope to get more from you photo buffs out there!

Eric

gevalia
29-Sep-2009, 02:55
I've had my Chamonix 45 for 2 years now and still enjoy carying it on those long hikes. My only issue is that the tension of the focusing wheel gets more play as it gets older to the point where you could easily cause it to move slightly when removing the dark cloth. Not perfect but workable.

Ulrich Drolshagen
29-Sep-2009, 07:33
I switched to a Chamonix for weight reasons in May, 2009 (architectural and landscape work in the field), and am happy so far - aside from the aforementioned fresnel problems and slight issues with the spirit levels not being perfectly flush (which is rather frustrating).

Flush or not, the levels do not work under any circumstances. They are purely ornamental.
The tubes are straight cylindrical. If you make a longitudinal section of the little tube you get straight lines as borders for the bubble. Straight horizontal lines per definition do not have a maximum. The position of the bubble is arbitrary. To work correctly the tubes of a level must be bent downward a little at it's ends so that the border for the bubble forms a little bow which maximum is in the middle when the tube is level.
Bottom line is: Forget about the levels.
I'd suggest the manufacturer to leave them out in further production runs. It doesn't do any harm, reduces the production costs and further emphasizes the minimalistic approach of the cam.

Ulrich

Jeffrey Sipress
29-Sep-2009, 11:41
What Lon said!

This camera is a pleasure, and as an engineer myself, I admire the thought and design that went into many of the nice features. Very well crafted and beautiful, too.

Jan Pedersen
30-Sep-2009, 19:38
Like my 8x10 as much as when i received it in April last year. Have shot about 300 - 350 sheets and it has been a pleasure to use. Focusing does get a little loose but can be tightened so it is no big deal.
Only disapointment is that the belows is not safe for IR film.

gevalia
1-Oct-2009, 02:57
Jan,

How do you tighten the focus knob? Mine is pretty loose.

GPS
1-Oct-2009, 03:50
[QUOTE=Jan Pedersen;513359
Only disapointment is that the belows is not safe for IR film.[/QUOTE]

Because it's probably made of plastic. If you contact Custom Bellows in UK they could perhaps make bellows safe for IR.

Jan Pedersen
1-Oct-2009, 20:10
This little 2mm Allen screw will tighten up the focus adjustment.

GPS, i have accepted that the bellows has it's limitations and will shoot IR in 4x5 instead but thanks for the tip.

Actually, the screw is more like 3mm but the Allen key is 2mm.

gevalia
5-Oct-2009, 05:20
This little 2mm Allen screw will tighten up the focus adjustment.

GPS, i have accepted that the bellows has it's limitations and will shoot IR in 4x5 instead but thanks for the tip.

Actually, the screw is more like 3mm but the Allen key is 2mm.

Funny how I never saw that. Thanks Jan, I'm now back being completely satisfied from 99.9% satisfied. And just in time for my semi-annual hiking foray into the Aquarius plateau.