PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 12x20" in Action at Mt. Everest

Hugo Zhang
30-Sep-2007, 15:26
http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=441511

David Karp
30-Sep-2007, 15:46
I have always maintained that all LF photographers are a bit crazy.

This one a bit more than most! ;)

Capocheny
30-Sep-2007, 16:03
Now, THAT'S dedication to getting the ultra-LF image... and I'll not complain about the weight of an 8x10 again! :)

Cheers

Songyun
30-Sep-2007, 16:41
Now, THAT'S dedication to getting the ultra-LF image... and I'll not complain about the weight of an 8x10 again! :)

Cheers
well, didn't you see the crew of 5 ppls in charge of carrying all the equipment.

David A. Goldfarb
30-Sep-2007, 16:44
Hasn't an IMAX crew been up there already? That's got to be more stuff to carry than a 12x20".

Dave Parker
30-Sep-2007, 16:57
Its in Chinese!

But great pictures never the less...dedication boys, that is what it is all about!

LOL

:D

Capocheny
30-Sep-2007, 18:10
well, didn't you see the crew of 5 ppls in charge of carrying all the equipment.

Yup, but it looks like the photographer still lugs his own camera and pod!

Cheers

Vaughn
30-Sep-2007, 20:44
A couple things stand out...

1) The white gloves...too cool!

2) Carrying the camera on the pod...I don't even do that with my tiny 4x5 if I am in a once-in-a-lifetime situation.

Vaughn

Alex Wei
30-Sep-2007, 21:57

The question is I'm not sure that I can even carry myself to that kind of height.

QT Luong
30-Sep-2007, 22:19
In the Himalayas, you hire Sherpa or Balti people, so although it sounds impressive, it's actually less demanding than working in ... Chamonix.

Struan Gray
30-Sep-2007, 23:39
I'm with Tuan. The heavily-visited parts of the greater ranges are probably the easiest places in the world to organise ULF logistics. Which is not to sneer at anyone who goes to Everest with an LF camera, but the how-do-I-carry-it-all aspect is more easily solved there than, say, Yosemite.

John Powers
1-Oct-2007, 05:36
http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=441511

Hugo,

The pictures are wonderful. Thanks for posting. Can you give us a translation into English of what was written?

Thank you,

John

John Kasaian
1-Oct-2007, 06:00
12x20 in color? Thats mightily impressive too! I wish my monitor could do it justice. Thanks for sharing!

Brian Ellis
1-Oct-2007, 06:39
Hasn't an IMAX crew been up there already? That's got to be more stuff to carry than a 12x20".

The IMax camera that David Beshears' crew carried weighed about 50 pounds but that's just the camera, all the associated gear had to weigh much more. For example, a reel or cassette or whatever form the film took only lasted about five minutes. Since they were making many hours worth of film the sheer volume of film containers alone had to be staggering (not to mention the pleasure of changing film in an intricate camera every five minutes in sub-zero temperatures).

Songyun
1-Oct-2007, 09:18
Hugo,

The pictures are wonderful. Thanks for posting. Can you give us a translation into English of what was written?

Thank you,

John

Let me try this.

He shoots at the attitude 5800~6000m with two cameras 1220 and 45, mostly 1220, use 45 only at place where it is hard to set up 1220 like this photo.

Things have changed a lot since his last visit 7 years ago. A lot of glaciers have melted.

John Powers
1-Oct-2007, 09:24
Let me try this.

He shoots at the attitude 5800~6000m with two cameras 1220 and 45, mostly 1220, use 45 only at place where it is hard to set up 1220 like this photo.

Things have changed a lot since his last visit 7 years ago. A lot of glaciers have melted.

Thank you,

John

Hugo Zhang
1-Oct-2007, 09:50
John,

I was planning to do a word-by-word translation for you tonight. I am grateful that Songyun has helped.

Basically Hass, the designer and part owner of Chamonix cameras, had one assistant and one cook and about 10 people to haul the stuff to their base at 5800-6000m. He mentioned that at higher attitutde, there were no more ice towers. Compared to his last trip in 2000, so much ice has been melted and gone due to the global warming. They had to change their shoes a lot. He mentioned that he used his down jacket as a darkcloth in the above picture dangling on an icy cliff with a Chamonix 45N-1 camera.

John Powers
1-Oct-2007, 11:47
John,

I was planning to do a word-by-word translation for you tonight. I am grateful that Songyun has helped.

Basically Hass, the designer and part owner of Chamonix cameras, had one assistant and one cook and about 10 people to haul the stuff to their base at 5800-6000m. He mentioned that at higher attitutde, there were no more ice towers. Compared to his last trip in 2000, so much ice has been melted and gone due to the global warming. They had to change their shoes a lot. He mentioned that he used his down jacket as a darkcloth in the above picture dangling on an icy cliff with a Chamonix 45N-1 camera.

Thank you Hugo. Very interesting that he could make such a trip with such a large camera. Certainly a testament to strength both in the camera and the builder. For me at age 67, a trip of dreams, but then I made a few of those in my twenties. I would like to be able to shoot 12x20, but wonder how long I will be able to handle my Phillips 7x17 in far less strenuous settings. Rhetorical questions. Thank you.

John

David R Munson
1-Oct-2007, 19:51
Anyone know if this photographer has a web site? I'd love to see some of the stuff he's shot.

Los
1-Oct-2007, 19:59
90% of photography is being there, yeah?

Hugo Zhang
1-Oct-2007, 20:11
http://www.xitek.com/blog/?userid=2819