PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor T 6.3/270mm: feedback anyone?

Arne Norris
29-Sep-2007, 06:56
In my quest to find a telephoto design lens in the 250-300mm range, I'm considering the Nikkor 270. It's sold as a 4x5 lens.

However the published specs (found on BHPhoto) for the coverage at inifinity seem too low for 4x5: 114mm @ f/6.3 (160mm @ f/22).

I would like to be able to use the lens at say f/8 to f/16. I'll be using it at shorter distances than infinity, so the limited image circle may not be a limitation.

Anyone using this lens on 4x5 or is it really more of a medium format lens?

Walter Calahan
29-Sep-2007, 07:50
Why not go for a Fujinon 250mm?

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=170

Arne Norris
29-Sep-2007, 15:58
A non-telephoto 250mm might be good option. A non-tele 300mm, such as a Nikkor M is a better focal length for what I want to do, but I would rather not have to have the bellows extension (and the heavier tripod, etc that this involves.)

I'm just learning about how to calculate the film to flange benefits of a tele vs normal lens design for my usage. My primary reason for thinking of using a telephoto was to reduce the film to flange distance. I'm going to use the lens for portraits, relatively tightly framed on the head.

I've ruled out using 250mm teles as they don't give much benefit over normal 250mm lens for a 4x5.

My primary choices are the Nikkor T 270, the Fujinon 300 T or a vintage 5.5/270 Tele-Arton. The Nikkor is the lightest of the bunch, and seems like the best compromise of weight and imaging qualities. But it's image circle is the least as well.

Henry Ambrose
29-Sep-2007, 19:53
The Tele Xenar 240mm f5.5 has the shortest flange to focal. Its only about 150mm which is a big difference from 250mm. They are fairly small lenses as well.

David Millard
30-Sep-2007, 06:26
Arne -
If you are interested, there is currently a 250mm f/5.6 Zeiss Sonnar being advertised on eBay. This lens has a 190mm image circle. I don't personally know about the Sonnar's performance, but I use a 53mm Biogon and a 100mm Planar of the same make and vintage on 6x9 format, and they are both outstanding lenses.
Regards -
David

Nick_3536
30-Sep-2007, 07:23
I'm just learning about how to calculate the film to flange benefits of a tele vs normal lens design for my usage. My primary reason for thinking of using a telephoto was to reduce the film to flange distance. I'm going to use the lens for portraits, relatively tightly framed on the head.

It sounds like you're trading a heavier more stable camera with a lighter lenses on the front for a lighter likely less stable camera with a likely heavier lens on the front.

If you're doing portraits are you going to be traveling far from the car with the camera? If not why are you trying to avoid the longer bellows camera?

Arne Norris
30-Sep-2007, 07:54
Nick,

I am setting up a master technika. A telephoto design just seems to be the best fit on the camera. It's a combination I've seen in use here (where the photog is using a vintage 270mm Tele-Arton:

http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/testimonials/lukas_einsele_1.htm

I've done some calculations as to the bellows draw various lenses need for doing headshot type portraits and a 270mm tele seems better than a 250 or 300mm non-tele design. Otherwise I would pick up something like a Nikkor M 300mm or Fujinon 240 A.

Richard Kelham
30-Sep-2007, 14:04
The Tele Xenar 240mm f5.5 has the shortest flange to focal. Its only about 150mm which is a big difference from 250mm. They are fairly small lenses as well.

Without consulting the Oracle, I very much doubt if a 240mm Tele-Xenar would cover 5x4in. It's even a bit tight on 12x9cms, though I suppose it would be OK for close-ups

Richard

Henry Ambrose
30-Sep-2007, 17:19
I have the Tele Xenar, it covers fine. The lens is made for 4x5 press and technical cameras. Its nice and compact, very sharp and just a bit less contrasty than current lenses.

Arne Norris
3-Oct-2007, 13:49
Thanks for everyone's response. From what I've gleaned for the specs for the Nikkor T 270 it's coverage is a tad too small for a 4x5 unless it's stopped down. It would probably be fine for me as I would use it at closer than infinity distances. And it sounds like a fine quality lens. I think I'm going to try to find a late model 270 Tele-Arton first, but if that doesn't work the Nikkor should work.