PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite - tunnel view overhall

Curt Palm
28-Sep-2007, 09:08
http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_7023986?nclick_check=1

the most interesting part of the overhall is that they are planning on cutting around 20 trees and no one is objecting.

Keith S. Walklet
28-Sep-2007, 09:39
The National Park Service routinely cuts trees in the park as part of their "viewshed maintenance" program. Most of the clearing is not noticeable to the public, as the trees selected for removable can be well off the road. For instance, a large ponderosa might have grown so tall that it blocks the first view of Bridalveil Fall as one comes into the park on Southside Drive. Removing the tree restores the view that was intended when the route for the road was selected years ago. So often, photographers marvel at how beautifully trees frame a park icon from the road or a vista point.

As for the ethics of removing trees in a national park, it provokes interesting discussions because the idea runs contrary to what most feel is appropriate. But the line about what is and isn't appropriate blurs a bit when one looks at the origin and variety of the trees growing in Yosemite Valley, many of which are none indigenous species that have prospered since European man's arrival.

Still, for most, it is surprising to find out that "gardening" of this variety occurs.

That particular vista (Tunnel View) could use some sprucing up (no pun intended) IMO as the sidewalk for the pedestrians is too narrow, the rock wall crumbling from a winter auto accident, and traffic patterns that add to congestion. I haven't studied the proposal yet. I'm curious to see which trees are targeted.

Walter Calahan
28-Sep-2007, 09:40
Well, some times trees need to be cut.

Here at Gettysburg the Park Service to cutting hundreds of trees to restore the view of the Little Roundtop battle area and Devil's Den because the area has naturally grown up with trees since the battle. Today's visitors are confused about what they see now with the description of the battle then due to the trees. A few people are protesting this move because the clear cut is wiping out acres of trees. During a recent visit to this area, all the tree cutting has done is expose the restroom building to the publics view. Now that wasn't there during the battle!!!!!

20 trees isn't much in comparison.

Bruce Watson
28-Sep-2007, 09:52
What Keith said.

Over here on the other coast we have the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's under the control of the NPS IIRC. The road was intended to be a "scenic byway" where motorists would wander along at a leisurely pace (top speed is 45 mph) and enjoy the views. Lots of turn-outs so you could pull off the road and look out over the valleys.

Except that most of these turn-outs are now just parking lots in the woods. The NPS hasn't been maintaining the views and 70 years worth of tree growth has rendered many of views unviewable.

Not that this is bad, or good. It just is. But I've often speculated about the need to balance forests and views. I seem to remember reading something about a large number of the original photographs of the American West involved trees being cut down. Don't remember where I saw it.

Vaughn
28-Sep-2007, 10:07
Yosemite Valley has been subject to landscape management since before the white arrived. As Keith said, view management has been going on for as long as it has been a park (check out the photographs from around Inspiration Point area by Whatkins and Muybridge -- each have a same limbed up tree in it).

The fact that they (Park Mgt) have been doing it without much notice is an indication of the relative sensitivity they have been doing it (tho lighting fire to the valley floor is not exactly discreet!).

The Valley is not wilderness...even though some first-time campers might believe it to be!:p

Vaughn

Jeffrey Sipress
28-Sep-2007, 10:56
I love trees, but that one darn tall tree always blocks the view of Bridalveil Falls from the classic tunnelview spot. I haven't made that shot for years because of that.

Steven Barall
28-Sep-2007, 10:57
Well Walter, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

Brian Vuillemenot
28-Sep-2007, 11:13
That's good to know- now I can finally get the cliche "Yosemite Valley, Tunnel View" photograph that's lacking from my portfolio! ;)

Vaughn
28-Sep-2007, 12:08
Well Walter, when you gotta go, you gotta go.

As long as they leave SOME trees for when there is not a bathroom!:D

Brian, the only time I have set up the 8x10 at Tunnel View, my negs came out mysteriously waaaaay over-exposed. I took it as a sign from the Photo Gods to back off.

Vaughn

John Kasaian
28-Sep-2007, 12:23
FWIW, Yosemite Valley ain't a wilderness and hasn't been since the native americans started taking thier summer vacations there. Keeping the Valley guest friendly while preserving the land is a tough job. Additionally there are man made features within the valley that IMHO merit historical protection. The tunnel itself is a folly, built to preserve a bit of the natural look to the canyon leading into Yosemite Valley (which it does---just look at the two highways on the North side slicing through the forest---a third highway on the South side would bring to mind the LA freeway system!)

Keith S. Walklet
28-Sep-2007, 16:50
What I find most interesting is when something becomes "historic" and henceforth part of the visual fabric of the park and receiving protected status.

On the grounds of The Ahwahnee, there are 19 sequoias planted by the owner of the stables that preceded the hotel. James Lamon's orchard by Curry is especially contentious because the apples attract bears.

The beautiful elm in the middle of Cook's Meadow that appears as though it is trimmed to mimic the shape of Half Dome, is the last of a line of trees that bordered a road that transected the meadow. It was planted. The sugar maple by the chapel. There are many examples within the valley.

Also interesting to me is when age takes a supreme specimen out of circulation. The Jeffrey Pine on Sentinel Dome or the oaks in El Capitan meadow, such as the one that Ansel photographed clad in a snowy robe, or the inverted branches that star in a John Sexton image.

I was reminded of the transient nature of such stars last winter when I made an image of a pair of those very expressive oaks, only to return three months later to discover that one of them had lost a large limb that was key to the composition.

With so many people complaining about how over-exposed the park is, it actually offers an everchanging scene...

David_Senesac
28-Sep-2007, 19:22
I wasn't able to view the link because I refuse to be coerced to sign up to such news sites unless they are free. So instead poked around a bit and found the NPS environmental impact report from which I copied the below four brief sections:

==========================
The existing viewing area in the North Lot consists of a narrow five-foot wide sidewalk,
which has not accommodated the level of visitor use of the overlook that has been
established for decades. Routinely, visitors to the overlook are forced into crowds of three to
five people deep (including photographers with tripods) to see the view of Yosemite Valley.
Consequently, visitors inadvertently and unknowingly step off the sidewalk and into the
lanes of the immediately adjacent roadway, and thus into oncoming traffic.
• Vegetation such as ponderosa pine and incense cedar have grown and increasingly obscured
much of the historic view, further limiting views of the valley. The encroaching vegetation
forces visitors to cluster into smaller viewing areas than have existed historically. In turn,
increased crowding and diminished enjoyment could occur."

South Lot Viewing Area
All Action Alternatives would include the establishment of a 560 square foot viewing area on the
north side of the South Lot. Three trees would be removed to restore the historic vista under all
Action Alternatives.

Vista Clearing
All Action Alternatives would include removal of approximately 20 trees ranging from 1-inch to
26-inch dbh to restore the view from the North Lot to its historic condition—completely open
and unobstructed. Three trees ranging from 10-inch to 20-inch dbh would be removed to clear
Alternatives

2-6 Tunnel View Overlook Rehabilitation Environmental Assessment
the view from the South Lot. Selective thinning of approximately 5-10 trees (ranging from 1-
inch to 18-inch dbh) would be removed along the Canyon View sidewalk and the Valley View
sidewalk.
=================================

Personally as a photographer and frequent Yosmeite visitor over long years, this is good news to me. During the last couple years I've posted complaints about trees obscuring views at both Tunnel View and Valley View on a few web sites including the obscure Yosemite park site used by locals. As someone with a knack for debate, each time I crafted a reasonable though brief argument why they needed to take action. Invariably most of the respondees, with obvious small minded political correctness sensibilities, would condemn the idea of manipulating nature in any way. Despite the fact such viewing locations were fully built in a manipulated way and intended for general public viewing. However I knew my words would probably be read by some of the more pragmatic lurking park officials. So was later glad to see this project proposed. And I hope this same kind of considerate, reasonable, thinking will spread to other parks like say Great Smoky in the east where people still suffer while park officials hide fearing inane criticisms.

...David Senesac

Vaughn
28-Sep-2007, 19:46
I was reminded of the transient nature of such stars last winter when I made an image of a pair of those very expressive oaks, only to return three months later to discover that one of them had lost a large limb that was key to the composition.

With so many people complaining about how over-exposed the park is, it actually offers an everchanging scene...

Right you are, Keith,

This is one of the pleasures of knowing a place. I have photographed along the same stretch of a creek in the Redwoods for 30 years. Part of this experience is saying good-by to old friends...especially huge Big-leaf maples. And also seeing open views slowly close up with alders and berries. A few of the oldtimers have fallen creating new open views, but redwoods exist in a different time-space...it would take hundreds of years and a power of observation I do not have to see them growing.

Vaughn

Turner Reich
28-Sep-2007, 22:54
If they would put in full service for RVer's that would be something! How about full power with cable TV, phone and Sewer. Then get a real store like Safeway in there so we can get some real food and stay a while.

Keith S. Walklet
29-Sep-2007, 09:51
David,

Thanks for that info. I am looking an historic photo of the vista from the 1930s and it shows clearly how much the trees have grown in the last 75 years. I'll see if I have an opportunity to check a map of the plan that shows which trees are targeted.

The comments about the sidewalk and traffic congestion could have been my own they are so close to my own impressions.

And Vaugh, I love your analogy of losing friends as many of the features we photograph become familiar friends over the years. And more still, the notion of one of your favored trees falling, only to create a new vista.

In a large sense, photographers are responsible for elevating certain trees to iconic status with the creation of a memorable image. I personally find it rewarding to stumble across some of the more historically obscure examples that are either hidden by new growth, or off the beaten track enough that few encounter them any more.

Have you ever visited Agaziz Rock?

SamReeves
29-Sep-2007, 10:02
I wasn't able to view the link because I refuse to be coerced to sign up to such news sites unless they are free. So instead poked around a bit and found the NPS environmental impact report from which I copied the below four brief sections:

==========================
The existing viewing area in the North Lot consists of a narrow five-foot wide sidewalk,
which has not accommodated the level of visitor use of the overlook that has been
established for decades. Routinely, visitors to the overlook are forced into crowds of three to
five people deep (including photographers with tripods) to see the view of Yosemite Valley.
Consequently, visitors inadvertently and unknowingly step off the sidewalk and into the
lanes of the immediately adjacent roadway, and thus into oncoming traffic.
• Vegetation such as ponderosa pine and incense cedar have grown and increasingly obscured
much of the historic view, further limiting views of the valley. The encroaching vegetation
forces visitors to cluster into smaller viewing areas than have existed historically. In turn,
increased crowding and diminished enjoyment could occur."

South Lot Viewing Area
All Action Alternatives would include the establishment of a 560 square foot viewing area on the
north side of the South Lot. Three trees would be removed to restore the historic vista under all
Action Alternatives.

Vista Clearing
All Action Alternatives would include removal of approximately 20 trees ranging from 1-inch to
26-inch dbh to restore the view from the North Lot to its historic condition—completely open
and unobstructed. Three trees ranging from 10-inch to 20-inch dbh would be removed to clear
Alternatives

2-6 Tunnel View Overlook Rehabilitation Environmental Assessment
the view from the South Lot. Selective thinning of approximately 5-10 trees (ranging from 1-
inch to 18-inch dbh) would be removed along the Canyon View sidewalk and the Valley View
sidewalk.
=================================

Personally as a photographer and frequent Yosmeite visitor over long years, this is good news to me. During the last couple years I've posted complaints about trees obscuring views at both Tunnel View and Valley View on a few web sites including the obscure Yosemite park site used by locals. As someone with a knack for debate, each time I crafted a reasonable though brief argument why they needed to take action. Invariably most of the respondees, with obvious small minded political correctness sensibilities, would condemn the idea of manipulating nature in any way. Despite the fact such viewing locations were fully built in a manipulated way and intended for general public viewing. However I knew my words would probably be read by some of the more pragmatic lurking park officials. So was later glad to see this project proposed. And I hope this same kind of considerate, reasonable, thinking will spread to other parks like say Great Smoky in the east where people still suffer while park officials hide fearing inane criticisms.

...David Senesac

I'd agree. Tunnel view is overgrown with too many trees. It's no different than removing a few nasty weeds from your backyard. The bad news is that the tree huggers are now becoming wealthy old hippies. They'll hire attorneys to get an injunction to stop the tree removal, and we're back to square one.