PDA

View Full Version : Where do you sign your prints?

Nate Battles
28-Sep-2007, 09:01
I have heard to sign the back, the mat, the front image, the front in a border...
What's the consensus on where to sign?
Pencil or archival pen?
What's the significance?
Do people really care?

tim atherton
28-Sep-2007, 09:05
What's the consensus on where to sign?

yep, you're definitely new here... consensus...? :)

paulr
28-Sep-2007, 09:12
yep, you're definitely new here... consensus...? :)

yeah, there have been some multi-page brawls about this one.

the two most popular contenders, if memory serves:

1) sign on the back of the print, in pencil
2) sign on the front of the print (if you're feeling especially artistic, use a silver or gold pen!)

hint: look at the work done by those making the suggestions before deciding which camp to join ...

Nate Battles
28-Sep-2007, 09:15
Tim you are right, I am new here:o I need to learn to omit such words "consensus"
Good advice, thanks. I am really not trying to start a multi-page brawl.:eek:

tim atherton
28-Sep-2007, 09:20
You forgot:

3. Sign on the mounting board (either the back or front lower right) because serious artists always and only dry mount their prints

tim atherton
28-Sep-2007, 09:21
seriously, you will probably get plenty of answers on this post.

but also hunt the archives using some keywords - you'll find enough signing options and ideas to make your head spin

Steven Barall
28-Sep-2007, 11:07
Do you want your signature visible? It seems to work for Rembrandt and Picasso but it's up to you. Please don't sign your prints with metallic markers though. Liberace was a good pianist but he was not a great pianist. You want to take credit for the photo but not overpower it.

fdi
28-Sep-2007, 11:14
This is an art topic, so there are no rules, and lots of opinions. In general, the print is signed in the front, lower right below the image with something durable. If the image is permanently mounted, then of course it is ok to sign the mount board. If the image is matted and space below the image is covered by the mat it is ok to sign the mat with pencil, however, the image should also be signed (although not visible) because the mat is not considered a permanent part of the artwork.

Cheers, Mark
Frame Destination, Inc. (http://www.framedestination.com)

paulr
28-Sep-2007, 11:22
In general, the print is signed in the front, lower right below the image ...

"in general" is a bit like saying "consensus."

i've spent whole days wandering galleries and museums without seeing a single photograph signed on the front.

fdi
28-Sep-2007, 12:42
"in general" is a bit like saying "consensus."

i've spent whole days wandering galleries and museums without seeing a single photograph signed on the front.

LOL, yes but I would be careful to not go as far as saying consensus. I left out the details of what formed my opinion. Most of my customers do not sign at all or do not sign such that it is visible. I was only referring to those that offer a visible signature. I was also referring to galleries that specialize in photography, those that don’t are much less consistent, and even out of the ones that do, what part of the country you are in will make a difference.

Cheers,
Mark
Picture Frames Destination, Inc. (http://www.framedestination.com)

Greg Lockrey
28-Sep-2007, 14:55
2B Berol pencil sharpened with sandpaper, Title to the left with edition number, Signature to the right, on the print bottom margin. Signed the first Friday after a full moon before 6:00pm. :rolleyes:

(It's Friday :p )

tim atherton
28-Sep-2007, 14:57
2B Berol pencil sharpened with sandpaper, Title to the left with edition number, Signature to the right, on the print bottom margin. Signed the first Friday after a full moon before 6:00pm. :rolleyes:

(It's Friday :p )

I find dried sharkskin does a better job than the sandpaper and makes for a better looking pencil impression....

M Brian Mills
28-Sep-2007, 15:26
Everyone has their methods of signing. I often do not sign prints until they are leaving my possession and in those cases they are usually framed by me so I often sign the back of the mounting.
I've heard this is bad practice because the print and the mounting can easily be separated.
If it is just a print then I sign the back in an archival ink.
I know of an artist who has photos at SFMoMA as well as many other places around the world and he made a stamp and just stamps the back in "archival" ink and then signs in pencil on the back.

It's really up to you.

My feel is that part of the reason to sign a print is for the provenance of the work--should it make it to a point where its origin is up for debate or discussion.

Greg Lockrey
28-Sep-2007, 16:02
I find dried sharkskin does a better job than the sandpaper and makes for a better looking pencil impression....

I'll give it a try....thanks Tim.:) Any particular breed of shark?

paulr
28-Sep-2007, 18:02
Most shark breeds are acceptable, but if you're an ecologically responsible artist you'll use the skin of a live one.

Greg Lockrey
28-Sep-2007, 18:08
Most shark breeds are acceptable, but if you're an ecologically responsible artist you'll use the skin of a live one.

I'll keep that in mind... do you then wet the tip of the pencil with your tongue prior to signing?

SamReeves
29-Sep-2007, 10:04
Mechanical pencil on the bottom right for me.

Toyon
29-Sep-2007, 10:59
I just saw a Cartier-Bresson print at the Addison Gallery. He signed with an enormous blocky hand, several inches long and at least half an inch high. It was in a nice black ink and on the margin of the front of the print. The local beach and lighthouse photographers who sell at souvenir shops usually sign with gold ink in a prominent place. I usually sign on the back.

domenico Foschi
29-Sep-2007, 14:32
I cut a body part per print sold, put it in a ziplock bag and staple it in the back of the frame

Greg Lockrey
29-Sep-2007, 15:07
I cut a body part per print sold, put it in a ziplock bag and staple it in the back of the frame

No wonder your editions are limited to just 30. :eek:

Gary L. Quay
29-Sep-2007, 20:47
I've done many things in the past. I started out signing the print with a metalic marker, either gold or silver. Then, I started using a metalic copper acrylic paint, applied with a very fine brush. The paint was much more archival. Now, I sign the mat board with a pencil, unless someone buys just the print, then I use the paint.

John Berry
3-Oct-2007, 23:29
I had one print that looked best when signed in the center with a spray can.

Ted Stoddard
4-Oct-2007, 09:42
I use my sons dirty diaper with a fine tipped stick sanded down by a baby great white teeth while he is still alive and trying to naw my arm off... but in all honesty... each artist is different... I really use a pencil on the lower right hand corner on mounted matt board and I have a stamp on back in case they decide to have it mounted in another color matt board... the stamp with necessary info is needed... like print #... name etc... thats my 2 cents worth....