PDA

View Full Version : 1964 90mm f6.8 Angulon with flange?

Scott Kathe
27-Sep-2007, 18:25
I just received my 1964 90mm f6.8 Angulon from an eBay auction and as always there seems to be an irregularity. I've had some strange experiences with eBay, see the "Kodak 203mm Ektar f/7.7 with No.2 supermatic shutter?" post.

The Angulon shutter is nearly dead on tested with a sound card. The glass looks great and I'll shoot some film tomorrow to test the sharpness out in the corners and compare it to my 1954 version. I'm thinking about shooting a nice tight window screen at f22 and f32, any thoughts?

Here is the strange thing, the lens came with a flange not a retaining ring. The flange seems to work fine, is there any reason not to use the flange?

Scott

Ole Tjugen
27-Sep-2007, 20:08
I don't believe there will be much difference between 1954 and 1964 versions - sample-to-sample variations excepted. Any difference is likely to be much less than in my own 1939/1951 comparison (http://www.bruraholo.no/Cameras/Angulon/).

Flanges are not uncommon here, even on those small shutters. There is absolutely no reason not to use it - but it may require a slightly bigger hole in the lens board.

Jim Galli
27-Sep-2007, 20:37
If you take the time to mount the flange correctly you'll be able to use it for swapping out those 2 and a whole bunch of other lenses. I prefer flanges to jamb nuts for that reason.

Scott Kathe
28-Sep-2007, 06:25
Ole and Jim,

The flange is nice, I have it in a wooden lens board I made from modeling plywood painted flat black. It fit VERY snugly through the hole I put in the board. The flange is very secure but I would still like to know the proper way to mount the flange to the board. I have the wide part of the flange on the outside of the board, lens side. Should I bring the flange to the hardware store and get machine screws that fit the flange and then use a washer and nut on the back side?

I'd be out testing the two against each other if it wasn't for the 'day job'. Ole, I've looked at your 90mm Angulon comparison several times. Even if the '64 is not any better in the corners than the '54 I like the shutter a lot more. And the aperture scale is readable with my step up ring on the lens. This shutter seems to work consistently between shutter speeds, if I set the shutter speed halfway between 1 and 2 I get exposures of 0.75 second consistently. I didn't know I could do that.

Scott

Ernest Purdum
28-Sep-2007, 10:52
For a small lens like the Angulon, machine screws and nuts seems like overkill. Wood screws should be more than adequate and you can probably get the size you need at a local model shop. If not, www.mcmaster.com or www.micromark.com.