PDA

View Full Version : OK...I finally took the plunge!

Vick Vickery
27-Sep-2007, 08:53
I finaly did it...setting up a full-fledged all-format digital darkroom! Bought a new HP computer with LOTS of memory and a fast operating system and ordered a Microtek ScanMaker i900 scanner (comes with Digital Ice and SilverFast) and an Epson Stylus Photo R1800 printer along with an assortment of paper and the necessary ink to get started. I shoot 4x5, 6x9, 6x6, and 35mm in film and an Olympus digital SLR...I think this setup will handle all of that and more (the scanner goes up to 8 x 10). Now if I can just get thru the learning curve to the point that my scanned negatives end up looking the same on the moniter and the paper I'll be doing good! My only regret so far is that the new computer came with Windows Vista, about which I've heard little good and which will add one more program to learn my way around. Oh, well, I'll get there eventually! I already have Photoshop 7.0 and Elements with a working knowlege (though not any real expertise) of each. Wish me luck...Old Dog learning new tricks! :)

Eric Rose
27-Sep-2007, 14:34
Good luck. I guess we will never hear from you again as you are sucked into the abyss called Photoshop LOL.

evan clarke
27-Sep-2007, 14:48
Yes, R.I.P. Vick..Evan Clarke

Scott Rosenberg
27-Sep-2007, 18:21
congrats, vick. make sure to check in periodically and let us know how its going. you might want to check out martin evening's photoshop books - they're a commitment, but there's a ton of great info.

Vick Vickery
29-Sep-2007, 21:18
Well, it only took two full days of fighting, cussing, threatning with a large hammer, etc., and all the hardware finally works!!! Scanner scans, printer prints, computer computes, and it all thinks I know what I'm doing...boy, do I have those stupid machines fooled! Tomorrow I get to try to figure out how to make it all work togeather to get a print spit out the far end!

Oh, and an aside note...the scanner and printer I bought are HUGE! I had no idea it would all be so much bigger than the old stuff I had! The computer, scanner, and printer set close togeather take up a full six feet of table space.

Old Dog learning new tricks!