PDA

View Full Version : Focusing hood/ Bino viewer for Tachi in urban environments?

sung
26-Sep-2007, 23:00
Hi all,

I am currently using a black t-shirt as my darkcloth for my Tachi 4x5. I need some type of focusing hood when photographing in an urban environment so that I am not under a cloth and more aware of my surroundings (theft of gear etc).

What options do I have in terms of a focusing hood (or Bino viewer) for this camera? I know Ebony makes a focusing hood bellows which I believe fits all 4x5 models. Any experiences with this?

How effective are focusing hoods in allowing me to view the gg clearly (where there is a lot of sunlight etc)? I know I would need a loupe which has a long design (Toyo, Horseman etc) so I can check focus with the hood attached.

Any advice from Tachi users or anyone else?

Any ideas on how to make my own which would fold and remain attached to camera?

Thanks.

sung
27-Sep-2007, 03:40
...I should clarify that I'm not after a focusing hood, such as a BTZS which is like a darkcloth.

I need advice on a folding hood such as one made by Shen-Hao, the Ebony bellows type or I think Toyo make one as well...

Any help appreciated.

John Powers
27-Sep-2007, 03:58
I find a large dog, that barks when approached to be a great asset while I am under the hood. I tie her off on a long lead near me as a part of setting up my gear. She is very protective and far more sensitive to what is going on around me than I would be out from under the hood. She is the one part of my kit that I don't have to carry back to the car.

John

sung
27-Sep-2007, 04:14
I find a large dog, that barks when approached to be a great asset while I am under the hood. I tie her off on a long lead near me as a part of setting up my gear. She is very protective and far more sensitive to what is going on around me than I would be out from under the hood. She is the one part of my kit that I don't have to carry back to the car.

John

Just hilarious John..:rolleyes:

I suppose what I'm getting at is working under a dark cloth in a city environment, with lots of people around, just isn't practical.

So any (helpful) comments on using either a folding bellows hood or Bino viewer for the Tachi would be useful.

Brian Ellis
28-Sep-2007, 15:28
I used the Ebony bellows type viewer for a while. I didn't like it at all, it completely ruined the large format experience for one thing beause peeping through the little hole was like using a 35mm camera. You also couldn't see the entire viewing screen when using a lens wider than about 150mm, you had to move your head around to see different parts of the image. And for some reason I don't now recall it was difficult to see the screen in dim light though it was fine in brigh light.

I didn't to a whole lot of urban photography in high-risk urban areas but FWIW when I did I used a BTZS hood that I left a little open at the bottom so I could see the area underneath the camera and put my back pack on the sidewalk under the camera in between the tripod legs. That way at least someone couldn't just snatch the pack up and run without my knowing it.

parasko
28-Sep-2007, 16:18
I used the Ebony bellows type viewer for a while. I didn't like it at all, it completely ruined the large format experience for one thing beause peeping through the little hole was like using a 35mm camera. You also couldn't see the entire viewing screen when using a lens wider than about 150mm, you had to move your head around to see different parts of the image. And for some reason I don't now recall it was difficult to see the screen in dim light though it was fine in brigh light.

Brian, can you recall the magnification of the magnifier? I was interested in one of these for similar reasons to Sung but magnification is not stated on the Ebony website.

Miguel Curbelo
28-Sep-2007, 16:53
I use Robert White's version of Ebony's bellows with a magnifier. It takes up little space (I often just leave it on the camera when walking about) and I find it comfortable to use. I have no problems focusing with it and though you have to move it around with wide angle lenses I wouldn't say that it is like using a 35mm viewfinder. I do prefer to use my black T-shirt when in the countryside, but I'm more than happy to forsake that aspect of the LF experience in certain urban areas.

Mattg
28-Sep-2007, 18:14
I've recently aquired a the Arca-Swiss viewing bellows which comes with their 2x binocular magnifier. This design is a very flexible bag bellows-type of viewer which is great when you have large parallel displacements or wide angle lenses because you can move your head around a great deal. Linhof make a similar (and possibly superior unit with a 2x and 4x magnifier).

The Arca just attaches with an elastic opening that goes around the edge of the ground glass and can fit their 4x5 and 6x9 cameras, the Linhof attachhes using their own fitting and you buy a different model for 6x9 or 4x5 cameras. I imagine that the Arca model could easily be adapted to a Tachi.

I'm very happy with my setup but would not buy one new, either of them is more than $US900 new, they come up very occasionally on ebay.

I think you could have someone make one for you on a sewing machine if you settle on a design based on one of the two I mentioned. One end could be elastic and sized to the Tachi and the other end could be an old filter ring just large enough to get a loupe into. The trick would be to make them more or less self-supporting.

Rob_5419
29-Sep-2007, 06:13
What options do I have in terms of a focusing hood (or Bino viewer) for this camera? I know Ebony makes a focusing hood bellows which I believe fits all 4x5 models. Any experiences with this?

Your Tachihara can take an international Graflock back, right? If so, then you can use any binocular assembly from Sinar to Graflex to Ebony or Silvestri type hoods depending on your budget.

How effective are focusing hoods in allowing me to view the gg clearly (where there is a lot of sunlight etc)? I know I would need a loupe which has a long design (Toyo, Horseman etc) so I can check focus with the hood attached.

The Ebony design is nice, although you do have to have the magnifying glass at a fixed distance in the bag bellows from the focussing screen otherwise you can't see anything clearly. With a medium/standard lens, focussing with a bright fresnel screen like the Wista types is no problem in bright day light with just the focussing hood and a f5.6 normal lens.

Try it with a bog standard ground glass/fresnel assembly or a wide-angle lens, and it becomes painful. That's why rangefinder focussing 5x4" cameras are great. A Silvestri, Razzledog, Wista SP, Linhof Technika, Graflex Crown with rangefinder cam linked assembly or any type of 5x4" press type camera would be more practical than your current set up. Rangefinders enable photographers to visualise what goes on around them easily, rather than spending ages abstracting detail on a groundglass methodically detached from the reality beyond the darkcloth.

If you'd rather keep using the Tachihara and do a DIY project, there are some attempts by users on the internet. None are particularly impressive, apart from the geeky devotion to overcoming technical hurdles on a shoestring budget. Long and short of it is, these hood type viewers can be pricey additions unless you do the DIY route. Try it with black cardboard in a 4x5" cut out cone first. See how impractical it is to have to carry around and use.

Brian Ellis
1-Oct-2007, 13:15
Brian, can you recall the magnification of the magnifier? I was interested in one of these for similar reasons to Sung but magnification is not stated on the Ebony website.

Sorry but I don't recall the magnification. I really didn't like it very much and used it only for a month or two. Have you looked at the Robert White site? IIRC they sell the Ebony version as well as their own version and might have the specs.

Brian Ellis
1-Oct-2007, 13:19
"Your Tachihara can take an international Graflock back, right?"

No, the Tachihara doesn't take the Graflok back, any back or holder such as a Readyload or Polaroid has to slide under the ground glass.

niubi
3-Oct-2007, 03:52
"Your Tachihara can take an international Graflock back, right?"

No, the Tachihara doesn't take the Graflok back, any back or holder such as a Readyload or Polaroid has to slide under the ground glass.

Brian, does the Ebony bellows focusing hood require a Graflock back in order to fit correctly, or will it fit the Tachi?

Ben R
3-Oct-2007, 04:53
You can have a look at my post below on the subject of converting the tachi to a graflok back, I actually find my black t-shirt focusing hood to be quite easy to see out of, nothing perfect but you can see shapes.