PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 203mm Ektar f/7.7 with No.2 supermatic shutter?

Bobby Ironsights
26-Sep-2007, 20:57
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/BobbyIronsights/DSC_0350.jpg

Hi, I've been talking to someone about purchasing a lens, and it's pretty much a done deal, but I just noticed at the last second, that it didn't look quite right. (I'd read as much as I could about the lens before making an offer).

It seems to have only one of it's contact points for a flash, not normally a big deal, but then I also noticed, in reviews of this lens, that it's almost always pictured with a "flash supermatic" shutter.

I'd like to make certain I know the differences between these two lens/shutters before I finalise the sale. Was there a difference in age/build quality? Is it going to be impossible to ever use a flash with this combo? Is there a significant difference in resale value?

Any advice you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated, as I'd not like to keep the potential seller waiting long.

Robert A. Zeichner
26-Sep-2007, 22:49
The thing that stands out to me is that the aperture scale only goes down to f32, where all the ones I have in Flash Supermatics or Graphic shutters go down to f45. The age of the cells can be easily determined by thier serial no. The key is C-A-M-E-R-O-S-I-T-Y. C=1, A=2, M=3 etc. down to Y=0. The two letter serial no. prefix will be the build year. RAxxx would be 1951. As far as flash goes, the Flash Supermatics work only with Bulbs (M or F). Supermatic X shutters will work only with electronic flash. My Graphic (Synchro-Compur) is a more modern X-type shutter. The glass on all of the 203 Ektars should be coated and have the L in a circle to indicate "Lumenized" (coated). I understand there are a couple of different colors of coating, one a bit toward the magenta cast and the other more of a tea brown colored tinge. I hope that is of some help.

Jim Jones
27-Sep-2007, 05:53
A 1943 booklet, "Kodak Lenses," lists the No. 70 Kodak Anastigmat f/7.7 8 inch lens in a Kodak Supermatic No. 2 shutter without sync. The 1948 booklet lists the Kodak Ektar 8 inch f/7.7 in the flash supermatic shutter with an ASA post flash contact as in your shutter. Both lenses stopped down to f/45. The earlier source, unlike the latter one, does not specify that the lens is Luminized (coated). Sync was sometimes added by repairmen to shutters from this era when photographic equipment production was recovering from wartime chaos.

Bobby Ironsights
27-Sep-2007, 06:37
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/BobbyIronsights/DSC_0351.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/BobbyIronsights/DSC_0345.jpg

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h314/BobbyIronsights/DSC_0352.jpg

Bobby Ironsights
27-Sep-2007, 06:42
Ok, so, let's see if I'm up to speed......what I'm looking at then, is a 1947 lens,(from camerosity date code) in a 1942 shutter (from etched in date on rear) without flash sync?

Ok, so, is there an aftermarket product that could allow me to use a studio flash setup with this lens or should I pass on the lens, and look for one with a flash sync shutter?

Robert A. Zeichner
27-Sep-2007, 07:36
I would be inclined to hold out for a 203 in a Graphic (Synchro Compur) shutter which would allow sync to modern electronic flash systems. Just in case you are wondering, no, the cells from the No. 2 Supermatic will not screw into the Graphic's, which are a larger diameter.

Jim Noel
27-Sep-2007, 08:09
That single synch post appears to be a "Kodak" post. If it has pins near the bottom to anchor the female adapter when it is turned a partial turn, that is a Kodak.

erie patsellis
27-Sep-2007, 10:02
Bobby,
out of curiosity, as I have one I'm considering selling, how much can you get that one for?

erie

Scott Kathe
27-Sep-2007, 10:45
OK the cat's out of the bag! This is my lens and I had no idea of it's checkered past:confused: I also have a 1954 vintage Angulon f6.8 that I would like to sell but now I'm afraid of that lens too:confused: Even though I educate myself with respect to all my purchases I'm going to give up on eBay and from now on I'm going to be buying my used equipment from Jim at Midwestphoto or KEH. I'll end up paying more but not worrying so much.

Scott

Ernest Purdum
28-Sep-2007, 11:16
A few 203mm Ektars show up in German shutters, mostly in England. I've got one in a Prontor SVS which isn't my favorite shutter. It does, however, have X synch and an ASA post, and should it develop problems the cells will screw right into a Copal 0.