PDA

View Full Version : Your right to take pictures - revisited

Dirk Rösler
26-Sep-2007, 18:36
Given all the stories, why has nobody made a photo project out of the difficulties in shooting in public places? "The pictures that were not supposed to be made" as it were. Or is there something like that already?

Rather than lengthy messages in Internet forums, why doesn't someone make a project out of it, like a book with blank pages with captions showing the time in minutes and seconds from your arrival at the scene until you are being told to leave or whatever... (a little naff, just the first thing that comes to my mind).

To me, as annoying as it is, the trend of not letting people take pictures freely is also an affirmation of the power of photography. Why not turn it around and make creative use of it, via the medium itself?

BradS
4-Oct-2007, 11:02
I thought about it and then thought about my kids needing a father. I'm not ready to "disappear". I don't think my kids would benefit from me being bound and gagged by agents of my federal government, flown secretly to some foriegn country and 'rendered' prior to being interrogated. All for a highly detailed, B&W photo of the exterior of my local post office.

Nicolai Morrisson
6-Oct-2007, 19:01
There was an issue of JPG (http://www.jpgmag.com/issues/1) (also available as a (legit) free PDF (http://www.jpgmag.com/download/issue1)), but I think there's plenty more to both say and shoot on the subject.

paulr
6-Oct-2007, 22:08
I thought about it and then thought about my kids needing a father. I'm not ready to "disappear". I don't think my kids would benefit from me being bound and gagged by agents of my federal government, flown secretly to some foriegn country and 'rendered' prior to being interrogated. All for a highly detailed, B&W photo of the exterior of my local post office.

i think it would be worth it. let's see the post office!

Dirk Rösler
9-Oct-2007, 20:40
Thanks for the link to the JPG mag. Looks like they picked up the topic in the obvious way, but I don't find it very strong. Yes, there is plenty more to say and do on the topic, hopefully someone will pick it up.