PDA

View Full Version : Master Technika gg replacement suggestions

Arne Norris
25-Sep-2007, 17:23
I just purchased a MT which happens to have a warped older style Linhof Super Screen. I need to replace it and not sure what to do. I'm looking for feedback.

I am considering either a new Linhof gg plus a Linhof fresnel, or a Maxwell screen.

I tend to like to use original equipment, but I've heard some good things about Maxwell screens. I intend to primarily use a 135mm for a standard lens, a 250 tele for tight portraits and probably a 75 or 90 for wider work. My primary concern is working inside with available light, with people, but I need a general purpose setup for outside work as well.

My previous 4x5 was a Sinar F2, which had a fesnel that could be clipped onto the Sinar gg. I've never had the chance to see a Maxwell.

I know this is an old topic on the LF forum, but any suggestions or new experiences with these products would be most appreciated.

KenM
26-Sep-2007, 05:34
I have a Maxwell screen on my MT, and quite like it.

Wilbur Wong
26-Sep-2007, 06:05
I replaced the GG on my MT2000 the day it arrived with a beattie screen. I left the factory screen on just long enough to check it out with a wide angle lens. The beattie screen is probably about twice as bright with my Nikkor 135 on as the factory glass. With the 90 and 65 the difference is really dramatic. Longer focal lengths seem to be just fine with the original. The factory super screen (2002) is just sitting around here someplace just brand new.

I once compared with a friends Maxwell side by side to mine. With the same length lens pointed at the same subject, we coudn't really tell whether one was better than the other. I have also heard good feedback from Satin Snow users but don't have any personal experience with them. Cost might be a consideration . . . a Beattie runs like $300. A Satin Snow can be had for an Andrew Jackson green back (he is back logged 3 months and could easily justify raising his prices!!)

BTW, my previous camera was also a Sinar. I kept the fresnel from my system. I clipped off the the spring extensions on the short ends of holder and it slips into the back of a Master Technika just fine as long as you keep the "handle" oriented correctly so you could also close the Technikas folding shade over it. I use this additional fresnel when I want to see the entire image of a 65 and sometimes the 90 for composition. I usually remove it when I am using a loupe on the glass for critical focus.

Brian Ellis
28-Sep-2007, 15:56
I've used both a Beattie screen and a Maxwell screen on a Master Techika. I'm a little surprised at Wilbur's comments, I thought the Maxwell screen was noticeably better. To me the Beattie looked "grainy" in comparison and so was harder to focus. It also was a good bit darker near the edges with a wide angle lens (an 80mm Super Symmar XL). Maybe Beatties have changed over the years, mine came with the Master Technika which I bought used so I don't know how old it was. In any event, I can strongly recommend the Maxwell.

Scott Rosenberg
28-Sep-2007, 16:21
I’ve had a Maxwell screen on my MT2000 for lots of years and really love it. Super bright and easy to focus with.