PDA

View Full Version : Compur 0 shutter not working on B

Steve Block
25-Sep-2007, 06:01
Hi All,

I have an old (1970’s) 150mm Schneider Xenar lens F4.7 with a Compur 0 shutter. Until now it has been fine, but now the shutter no longer opens on B. All other speeds appear to work fine, and the shutter cocks OK, but when I set it to B the shutter just ‘clicks’ but it doesn’t open at all.

Before I condemn this aging piece of clockworks to the grave, is there anything I can do to remedy this situation ? I find it difficult to use this lens inside for naturally lit still subjects as I need the depth of field from long exposures.

Many thanks
Steve

BrianShaw
25-Sep-2007, 06:19
From what you describe, I believe the remedy your shutter is seeking is a good old-fashioned cleaning. Send it to a shutter repair shop and it will likely return as good as new.

Skorzen
25-Sep-2007, 09:29
Is it opening for a very short time and closing or is it not opening at all? I have a Sychro-Compur 0 that was firing "instantly" on bulb because there was a spring which was not in the right place. Basically the spring pushed a lever in the way of the shutter release holding it open, but the spring was on the wrong side of the lever (I know I am probably using some of the wrong terminology here).

lenser
25-Sep-2007, 09:53
Flotot's Camera Repair (www.Flototscamerarepair.com)

Carol has resurrected several of my lenses for an extremely reasonable $50 per for a CLA.

Tim

Capocheny
25-Sep-2007, 10:27
Flotot's Camera Repair (www.Flototscamerarepair.com)

Carol has resurrected several of my lenses for an extremely reasonable $50 per for a CLA.

Tim

I second Tim's suggestion... any new replacement shutter will cost you atleast twice the price Carol charges!

Cheers

Steve Block
26-Sep-2007, 06:18
Thanks to all for help in trying to identify the origin of the fault. The shutter is either firing so incredibly fast that I can’t see a spec of light through it when I fire it on ‘B’, even when it’s wide open and with a light source behind it; or (more likely), it just clicks as if it were a high speed exposure but the shutter does not open at all.

One other anomaly I noticed, is that when I slide the black control knob to the open position for focus / composure that sometimes I can see the edges of the petals of the diaphragm (even though it was left open on F 4.7) and on occasion I have felt very ‘slight’ resistance…

I can only think this spells some kind of mechanical failure inside the shutter itself – any thoughts ?

(I feel the black clouds of more expense slowing gathering)
Steve

leeturner
26-Sep-2007, 07:12
As you're in the UK I've heard some very good things about these guys:

http://www.bonwcameras.co.uk/services.html

Steve Block
28-Sep-2007, 00:01
Thanks Lee,

I follow up and get a repair quote.

Rgds
Steve

Dave Henry
4-Oct-2007, 11:53
Is this a good url for Carol? My browser says it can't find the server.

BrianShaw
4-Oct-2007, 17:17
Try it with a "U" instead of the "o" ... FLUTOT.

Richard Kelham
5-Oct-2007, 12:14
Hi Steve

I've used Black on White to resurrect a Mamiyaflex shutter which had died on me (similsr problem to yours except it did it at all speeds!) and they did an excellent job. About twice the price of Carol Miller though.... :-(

Richard

Steve Block
8-Oct-2007, 15:27
Thanks Richard,

Do you have a link for them, I can't find them with Google.

Cheers
Steve