PDA

View Full Version : Help for Orphan Scanner

Don Kellogg
23-Sep-2007, 20:10
I have been using the Minolta Dimage Multi Pro scanner for scanning my medium format transparancies. Recently the unit has had a series of problems with the transport mechanism and is not recognized by my Mac Pro Computer. I tried different software (Vuescan, Silverfast) and I sent the scanner to Precision Camera Repair (recommended by the now defunct Minolta) for repairs. It was sent back unrepaired with a note saying that there were no parts available for this scanner. I would like to get the scanner repaired but it seems hopeless at this point. I wonder if I should replace it with another film scanner such as the Nikon 9000ED or go to a flat bed scanner such as a the Epson V750-M Pro. At present, although I do some large format stuff, I have a big collection of MF transparancies that I would like to scan. I have in the past usually sent the LF stuff off for drum scans so that although it might be nice to have LF scanning capability my main goal is to get as good in house MF scans as possible. I understand that the film scanners will give better results gven equivalent format sizes than the flatbeds. What to do? Help!

Ted Harris
23-Sep-2007, 20:29
Get the 9000 for your MF scans. It will give exceptionally good results, far better for MF than what you will get from the 750. While the 9000 is not in the same league as a high end scanner it is a very superior machine for 35mm and MF.

Don Kellogg
24-Sep-2007, 05:33
Thanks, Ted. Do you think that I should also get the optional glass medium format film carrier? I have heard about problems with flatness the glassless unit. Is there a problem with Newton's rings? Again, Thanks.

Ted Harris
24-Sep-2007, 09:25
Sometimes yes and sometimes no regarding Newton rings but the answer is yes, get the optional glass carrier. BTW, IIRC Jim at Midwest has or had a used 9000 in pristine condition.

Eric Brody
24-Sep-2007, 10:17
Hi Don,

I concur that the Nikon 9000 is terrific for MF scans. I have one and managed to get the hard to find glass carrier. It produces superb scans. You have seen some of my images scanned with it at the workshop we attended last December. I honestly believe my 9000 scans are sharper than my best darkroom prints and have better tonal range. I use the Nikon software and find it perfectly adequate. As you know, I do only black and white but think it would be great for your color work. While a drum scan is doubtless a bit better, I think you'd have to be a pixel-peeper to see realistic differences even at the large print sizes you do. The new Imacon is a middle step but is at least 5x the price of a new Nikon.

To bring your MF scanning in house, I think you cannot go wrong with the Nikon.

Eric

Don Kellogg
24-Sep-2007, 12:52
Thanks to both Ted and Eric,

I'll see about aquiring a Nikon.

Don Kellogg