PDA

View Full Version : Is it really worth it to clean the inside glass of an Epson 4990?

Frank Petronio
23-Sep-2007, 10:06
Has anyone REALLY noticed a difference in their results?

Any before and after testing?

And would the difference be in contrast or sharpness?

Before I mess around with cleaning it, the skeptic in me is thinking that it hardly matters, just like having a fingerprint wipe on a lens hardly matters...

Also does anyone have the PDF instructions? That darn Yahoo Groups link isn't working for me.

Thanks

Daniel_Buck
23-Sep-2007, 19:37
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm interested in cleaning the inside of 4990 as well!

As it came from the factory, there are several pieces of dust/crud that I continually have to paint out on every scan (on the inside of the bottom glass). It's only 20 seconds worth of work, but it's anoying to have to do that every time. I'd love to clean mine, but I don't want to bust it in the process! haha!

I'd love to hear feedback from those who have cleaned theirs!

Kirk Gittings
23-Sep-2007, 19:40
Ask Doug Fisher if you don't want to go to the Yahoo site.

My opinion is that it does make a difference, but I never did a SBS comparison. Or get a 750. It does not outgas and mine is still perfectly clean.

Ted Harris
23-Sep-2007, 20:33
I agree with Kirk that it makes a difference. I clean the glass on all my scanners regularly.

Frank Petronio
23-Sep-2007, 22:46
thanks... coming from you two then I guess that is as close to the WORD as I'll get ;-)

Ash
23-Sep-2007, 22:55
I can't remember, but does the camera come fitted with any kind of anti-static layer? Is it anti-newtonian? I believe I read somewhere about replacing the glass on some scanners for higher neg scanning quality.

But then again I haven't slept in 24 hours and could be completely wrong :)

Frank Petronio
23-Sep-2007, 22:58
Too much Adderol, Ash...

Doug Fisher
24-Sep-2007, 06:38
Frank, check your email for some files I sent :)

For anyone else who stumbles on this thread, if you go to the "files" section at the Epson scanner group (http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Epson_Scanners/files/) you will find a number of files. One is a general tutorial on opening up the 2450-4870 series of scanners and titled, "Dismantling the Epson Flatbeds.pdf ." 4990 users can use it too, but just remember there are two additional screws which must be removed. If you take off the lid of the scanner and then look on the base of the scanner between the scanner's glass bed and the holes where the lid's hinges are inserted, you will see two caps/buttons. These need to be carefully pried up and out (I believe their main purpose was to scratch/mar easily in order to indicate when a user violated the warranty by opening their scanner). You will find two more screws under the caps.

In this same file directory, you will find "exploded diagrams" for most "higher" end Epson scanners produced since the 2450. These are very helpful if you have a problem with your scanner and want to figure out how it all works and fits together!

One other tip I would add is that you want to clean your scanner in the most dust-free environment as possible. If you don't have a dust-free darkroom but have the counter space in your bathroom to work, that can be a good place. Give your bathroom a good cleaning, then run a hot shower to steam the place up (helps minimize dust in the air), close the door and let it cool completely for an hour or so in order for all the steam/humidity to subside. Then take your scanner in give it a cleaning.

My $.02,

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com

Remigius
24-Sep-2007, 08:18
In a previous research on that subject I have found a couple of links on that subject, which mainly state the same as Doug (i.e. two more screws below these round caps - these caps even have a replacement part number). So far I did not clean mine, assuming it would not make a big difference. When you start the scanner, the illumination comes from the side which emphasizes the dirt layer. However, when scanning I did not notice any effect (I think I should have). Of course, in the mean time my warranty is expired, so I could give it a try - but reading the remarks about dusty environments I hesitate again.

Daniel_Buck
24-Sep-2007, 08:44
is there any way to look at that pdf without having a yahoo mail account?

Paul H
25-Sep-2007, 03:56
I cleaned the glass on my old 3170, and it did make a difference to the scans. Seeing how easy it was to dismantle, I did it again, this time fixing black-out material on the inside base of the scanner, and that too made a visible difference.

The most difficult thing is to make your environment as dust free as possible, and you should make sure you have a good anti-static cloth.

Doug Fisher
25-Sep-2007, 07:03
>>is there any way to look at that pdf without having a yahoo mail account?<<

Check your email.

I don't know which scanner you were referring to, but I do have the exploded diagrams up on this webpage so you can go find the one you need.

http://www.betterscanning.com/scanning/dismantling.html

Frank Petronio
28-Sep-2007, 21:53
Thanks for the instructions Doug.

You know what though? I can't see any real problem with the scans I am getting... I think I am going to let sleeping dogs lie until I get a chance to do a test with somebodys clean 4990 or maybe a 750 somewhere. It sounds like a lot of hassle without really being sure of the benefit.

I'm surprised that nobody has done a simple test.

Rob Champagne
28-Sep-2007, 22:14
you can fix it in photoshop if the scan is veiled ;)