PDA

View Full Version : Compendium Shade for C-1

G Benaim
22-Sep-2007, 02:15
Hi all,

I'm looking for a compensium shade for my C-1, and saw a calumet/cambo on ebay. So I was wondering if anyone knows whether it'll work on the c-1. Thanks,

GB

Robert A. Zeichner
22-Sep-2007, 06:52
G. You can make a more effective, lighter and more compact lens shade than a compendium. Attached is my article on the barn door shade which appeared in the March/April issue of Photo Techniques. Please take a very close look at the comparison negatives! The difference you see is simply a result of using this shade. The source for the parts is at the end of the article.

G Benaim
22-Sep-2007, 08:48
Thanks, Robert, excellent article and idea. Do you know whether ltm ships internationally?

Robert A. Zeichner
22-Sep-2007, 09:34
LTM is headquartered in France and has distributors all over the world as I understand it. Their US office is in Van Nuys CA, but they also have offices in Canada and Germany. I hope that helps. B&H carries their stuff, btw.

Darryl Baird
22-Sep-2007, 13:04
pm sent

r.e.
22-Sep-2007, 13:44
Do this barn door solution work better than Cinefoil/Photofoil: http://www.rosco.com/us/video/cinefoil.asp ?

Robert A. Zeichner
22-Sep-2007, 15:53
Do this barn door solution work better than Cinefoil/Photofoil: http://www.rosco.com/us/video/cinefoil.asp ?

You could certainly use cinefoil to make a shade, but it is not in itself a shade. The barndoor shade screws onto the lens and adjusts to block out practically all non-image forming light resulting in negatives with a greater range of density. Many times, non-image forming light comes from areas below and to the sides of the image. The barn door shade is not just a sunshade! It allows you to exclude bright reflective and contrast-damaging culprits like sand and snow and open skies. If you look at the two sample negatives, you will see the difference. The source of the non-image forming light in this example was sand that was below and in front of the camera. The sun was behind the camera.