PDA

View Full Version : Tanks for 4x5 film proccessing

Raven Garrow
22-Jul-2000, 00:22
I have two 4x5 film hangers. They hold four sheets. After searching endlessly fo r some kind or containers to proccess in, I realized my best bet would be to go to the local "custom plastic" store and have plexaglass tanks made, sized to hol d as little chemistry as possible. Twelve inches in lengh, twelve inches in dept h, and about six inches wide. I don't know if this is going to be expensive or n ot. I am not interested in tray proccessing, BTZ tubes, can not afford a Unidrum , I don't know if that would be for me anyway. But I was wondering if I used the Combi HP tanks not as a daylight tank, but dunking the film holder just like th e hangers, would anyone have experience with this method? I personally don't lik e the time it takes to fill and empty the tank. I find it much more accurate hav ing the film in and out quickly. I checked the threads, but none helped me in my decision. Thanks for the response.

pat krentz
22-Jul-2000, 01:28
I had a container made for dunking the 45 film while in the hanger, it is 3/4 in wide, 6 inches long, and 6 inches deep, it holds 13 oz of developer and when the hanger is in it, it comes about 1/4 inch above the top of the hanger, I develope one sheet at a time and it works very well. Measure the width of your two hanger set and and allow 1/4 inch, the same for depth and length. Pat

Trevor Crone
22-Jul-2000, 04:30
I know your not interested in tray development but have you tried using the Comb i film hanger in a tray. This is what I've been trying recently with good result s. I put no more then 2 sheets of 4x5 in the hanger lay it in a 6x8 flat bottom tra y with 26 fld.ozs.(US) of developer if processing two sheets, 20 fld.ozs. for on e sheet. Regards,

Ron_673
22-Jul-2000, 06:41
What do you mean you can not afford a Unidrum. The last two I purchased locally cost me $5.00 each (used, but very nice condition). I also purchased a Unicolor motorized base for $15.00. The system works great and is the lowest cost way to process 4X5, 5X7 or 8X10 film. Good luck!

Raven Garrow
22-Jul-2000, 10:19
Wow! What a great idea, Trevor.I don't have the Combi tank, I have metal film hangers. They hold four sheets each, which I forgot to mention. If I load the film on these and put them in a tray, then I don't have to touch the chemistry, the film won't scratch, and I don't have to shuffle the film, either, all the reason why I don't like tray proccessing. My only question is, will the film sag, having the center of it touch the bottom of the tray, and I will have uneven developement? I will try this with an unexposed sheet of film. If its fine, how do I agitate film in tray proccessing for the developement??? Thanks.

Trevor Crone
22-Jul-2000, 12:35
I've not used metal hangers but I guess they are quite slimline so there may be a problem with film comming into contact with the bottom of the tray. Here in th e UK we have a reusable mastic adhesive compound called "Blu-Tack". If you have something similar, then blobs of this placed firmly on each corner of the hanger will raise it sufficiently above the bottom of the tray. I've used this stuff t o secure sheet film in the Polaroid film holder when processing ordinary film in trays before using the Combi hanger. With regards to agitation I rock the tray up/down, left/right at each 1/2 min. i nterval for the duration of the dev. time and the negs. seem very even using thi s method. I hope this is of some help?

james mickelson
22-Jul-2000, 13:58
I have tanks and drums which I use for most of myn processing. But when I am just testing or fartin' around with one sheet at a time, I use some small plexiglass tanks I made. I can put in two single metal hangers in them. the only drawback is that without care I can scratch the film in the dark. Tubes are very easy to make and I suggest you find the directions in the archive to make them. They work great. I also have found lots of Tupperware containers that work very well. And they are very cheap. But making your own plexiglass tanks is very easy but will cost you as much as just buying some simple tubes from Calumet. James

Jacque Staskon
23-Jul-2000, 11:25
Raven, have you thought about looking for the heavy kodak tanks? They made several sizes and you could use your dip and dunk method. I always see them in the used darkroom sections of camera stores. I try to pick up the best for myself. I use them for all kinds of things, never paid more than three bucks a pop.

steve Barth
23-Jul-2000, 21:57
I have built several processing tanks for 4X5 and for 8X10. The 8X10 tanks hold 2 holders. I also have a 4 holder model. The 2 sheet tank uses only 64 ozs of chemistry. The tanks are constructed of acrylic plastic, the stuff most archival print washers are made of. This material cuts easily on a table saw and glues permamantly using a horrible solvent-like cement (contains methylene chloride). If you have access to a table saw the rest is easy.

Bruce McLaughlin
15-Aug-2000, 19:31
If you have hangers which hold four sheets of 4X5 film it sounds like the old Kodak multiple hangers which were used with 3 1/2 gallon hard rubber tanks. Those tanks should be available used in a reasonably well equiped darkroom store. They are also available new but I think they are a bit expensive. While you may be able to find or make something which holds less solution, the highth and depth dimensions of the 3 1/2 gallon tanks should give you a base line idea of what you will need.